JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Giving this a bump for anyone who hasn't seen this or put it on their calendar.

It's just off either freeway into Vancouver so y'all in Portland should be able to make it - let's set some records for the amount of people that show up to show support.

Just sharing a few ideas, How about signage at the shooting areas and roads into those areas? Working with the local and state agencies to have trash collection sites near these areas, and regular pick up. Having signs explaining things and offering tips and info for legal dumping, and where? I know for a fact, many public dumps charge WAY, WAY too much, offer limited hours and availability, and have other restrictions! This is a Urban problem that reaches outward! I would challenge community resources on this, making dump sights more accessible, and also local collection more readaly accessible! Another problem that needs addressed is the low income folks that live out near the shooting places, these people have little incentive to dispose of there trash or haul it to town to the dump, these people need to be addressed and this is a county issue, but one that should be addressed as well. Having the local pick up company's expand there collections of "other" types of garbage may help bring down the types and amounts of trash people are dumping! Also having penalties levied towards those few that refuse to live by the rules with regards to disposing of there stuff, may make this problem less of one! Hope some of this can help!

Just sharing a few ideas, How about signage at the shooting areas and roads into those areas? Working with the local and state agencies to have trash collection sites near these areas, and regular pick up. Having signs explaining things and offering tips and info for legal dumping, and where? I know for a fact, many public dumps charge WAY, WAY too much, offer limited hours and availability, and have other restrictions! This is a Urban problem that reaches outward! I would challenge community resources on this, making dump sights more accessible, and also local collection more readaly accessible! Another problem that needs addressed is the low income folks that live out near the shooting places, these people have little incentive to dispose of there trash or haul it to town to the dump, these people need to be addressed and this is a county issue, but one that should be addressed as well. Having the local pick up company's expand there collections of "other" types of garbage may help bring down the types and amounts of trash people are dumping! Also having penalties levied towards those few that refuse to live by the rules with regards to disposing of there stuff, may make this problem less of one! Hope some of this can help!
Good thoughts, Ura. I kinda think having a dumpster or two located out there will just give a green light to those who don't want to pay dumping fees and will fill it up. We may still have the same amount of trash left on the forest floor. Not only that, but, target shooting sites commonly have trash left behind by shooters. It looks like trash, so, dumpers are likely to dump there because it mixes in with the other stuff. We would need trash collector bins at each shooting site and hope people would make the effort to collect their targets and put them in. But then, if dumpers fill them up...???

The signage thing is something we'd like to see more of. Located close by popular shooting sites. There is not enough DNR staff to maintain the signs on a regular basis. Therefore, volunteers are need to step in to help maintain signs and keep them current. That's where we could come in as our 'Adopt-A-Site' program.

I agree, we need more Law Enforcement out there catching the offenders and writing citations. When you look at all the other forestry agencies, there are not enough officers to cover the areas. Perhaps we need to step in and do more 'Eyes In The Woods' programs. Find 'em and report 'em.

I'm impressed with Clackamas County. They teamed up with several organizations to create Clackamas County Dump Stoppers. Here's a little clip from their web site...
"An increase of illegal dumpsites has taken its toll on federal forested lands in Clackamas County over the years. This continuing problem has prompted the closure of recreation areas in the county with other sites being considered for closure.

"The problem is massive," said Tom Ortman, Clackamas County Retired Natural Resource Coordinator and program founder. "This is literally an epidemic of illegal dumping and vandalism and we are facing major health concerns in our public lands."

The Dump Stoppers program utilizes a multi-pronged approach to confront the illegal dumping. At the heart of the program is a Clackamas County Sheriff's Deputy dedicated to tracking down illegal dumpers and vandals, along with support from an Operations Coordinator/Environment Assistant. A Compliance Hearings Officer and/or the District Attorney's Office support the program as needed to prosecute offenders; and community corrections crews are used to clean up larger dumpsites, with County Forest staff used on smaller sites and/or in the county's back country.

One source of waste that does not seem to dissipate or decrease is the trash associated with shooting areas. These clean up results are due coordinated efforts and the hard work of our partners, staff and volunteers."

Hope you attend the meeting and express your thoughts.

Bill

I Admit, the dumpsters are a double edged sword, but it still beats picking it up afield! It's a long road to get people to consider the things they do as harmful, but you guys and galls are taking the steps to do something positive to help, and that I personally appreciate, Sadly, I no longer live in the PNW, otherwise I would certainly join my voice to yours! I only offer what help I can through this fourm in hopes of helping this way! Bless you all in this task!

Good thoughts, Ura. I kinda think having a dumpster or two located out there will just give a green light to those who don't want to pay dumping fees and will fill it up. We may still have the same amount of trash left on the forest floor. Not only that, but, target shooting sites commonly have trash left behind by shooters. It looks like trash, so, dumpers are likely to dump there because it mixes in with the other stuff. We would need trash collector bins at each shooting site and hope people would make the effort to collect their targets and put them in. But then, if dumpers fill them up...???

The signage thing is something we'd like to see more of. Located close by popular shooting sites. There is not enough DNR staff to maintain the signs on a regular basis. Therefore, volunteers are need to step in to help maintain signs and keep them current. That's where we could come in as our 'Adopt-A-Site' program.

I agree, we need more Law Enforcement out there catching the offenders and writing citations. When you look at all the other forestry agencies, there are not enough officers to cover the areas. Perhaps we need to step in and do more 'Eyes In The Woods' programs. Find 'em and report 'em.

I'm impressed with Clackamas County. They teamed up with several organizations to create Clackamas County Dump Stoppers. Here's a little clip from their web site...
"An increase of illegal dumpsites has taken its toll on federal forested lands in Clackamas County over the years. This continuing problem has prompted the closure of recreation areas in the county with other sites being considered for closure.

"The problem is massive," said Tom Ortman, Clackamas County Retired Natural Resource Coordinator and program founder. "This is literally an epidemic of illegal dumping and vandalism and we are facing major health concerns in our public lands."

The Dump Stoppers program utilizes a multi-pronged approach to confront the illegal dumping. At the heart of the program is a Clackamas County Sheriff's Deputy dedicated to tracking down illegal dumpers and vandals, along with support from an Operations Coordinator/Environment Assistant. A Compliance Hearings Officer and/or the District Attorney's Office support the program as needed to prosecute offenders; and community corrections crews are used to clean up larger dumpsites, with County Forest staff used on smaller sites and/or in the county's back country.

One source of waste that does not seem to dissipate or decrease is the trash associated with shooting areas. These clean up results are due coordinated efforts and the hard work of our partners, staff and volunteers."

Hope you attend the meeting and express your thoughts.

Bill
Possibly add to any signage the Info for this forum and how members here are helping to contribute to a clean environment and responsible shooting!

Tuesday Evening!!!

May 31, 2016, 6:30-9:00 PM
4600 SE Columbia Way
Vancouver, WA. 98661

Google Maps: https://goo.gl/maps/Ph5Ggmxenam
GPS: 45.616409, -122.621248

I won't be giving my 'long' talk that I posted earlier, however, like any of you, I will have an opportunity to express some about what we've done, what we're doing and ideas to make things better.

I hope we get good representation from NWFA. We need all the ideas and input we can get!

Bill

Full house this evening. It went well. After the opening presentation by DNR, we broke into 4 smaller groups and answered a list of 8 questions. Lots of ideas and concerns were listed from each of those groups. After that, each group leader, from DNR did a recap of their groups discussions. Then we were done.

They will take the lists of ideas and concerns, along with their lists from the other 3 meetings they are holding, and evaluate them to help focus a primary direction for recreational shooting on state land.

This was the 2nd, of 4 meetings, however, the first effort they've put in towards addressing target shooting as a recreational activity.

I came away with this thought...

DNR is a bit behind on this issue. When you look at Mt Hood National Forest and Tillamook State Forest, you see they have already gone through the list of ideas and concerns, sought out shooters' input and are currently working through logistics and implementation of key issues that have the potential to make a difference. DNR is just now starting to seek shooters input.

It may be a while before we see another meeting like this, but hopefully when they do, it should be with more of a focus on what they'd like to see happen. Perhaps then, we can get down to the logistics of making things happen.

I'm glad they are having these meetings and I hope it ends up going in a good direction. There is no reason to think otherwise.

IMG_7122.JPG

IMG_7123.JPG

IMG_7124.JPG

Thanks Wrench!

I wish we all had NWFA shirts to wear at these meetings, so we could do a count on how many members were represented! I know there were several I recognized. Perhaps more will chime in.

I also saw several folks from other rec groups like Jones Creek Trail Riders, Pistons Wild, Back Country Horseman, bikes and hikers. I know a lot of them do shooting or simply own guns and support the right to own them. It was good to see their support and input.

I just found this in Idaho: Farragut Public Shooting Range (https://idfg.idaho.gov/visit/panhandle/farragut-range)

I hope WA DNR will setup something similar for you guys out there. I know there seem to be a lot of folk who want to shoot where they want, when they want, and shoot up whatever they want as targets.

Something like this could be a double edge sword where shooting is prohibited on DNR lands except for designated ranges operated by DNR itself or DNR volunteers. Then again, if shooters can't handle their trash and respect the environment that we all like to enjoy.... It only takes a handful of people to ruin it for everyone if you catch my drift.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top