JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
This meeting is rather rare and unique to us, all over Washington State. DNR (Corp. from Olympia), has chosen Vancouver, WA. to hold 1 of 4 meetings across the state to talk about Recreational Target Shooting. They wish to hear our experiences, thoughts, likes, dislikes, problems and solutions about shooting on public state land.

May 31, 2016, 6:30-9:00 PM
4600 SE Columbia Way
Vancouver, WA. 98661

These are the people who make and implement policy on how our state land is managed. It is important they hear from us, recreational shooters.

This in not an 'us against them' fight. WA DNR believes in our right to shoot on state managed land and fully support that right. They are looking for our help on how to manage it better. It's a good thing they consult us rather than simply implement policy without regard to our needs and concerns.

I have sent an email to Mr. Brock Milliern, Statewide Recreational Manager, requesting dates and locations of the other 3 meetings. I will post them here when I know.

Please join me on this one! This is where we can really contribute toward guiding the future of shooting on state land.

If we don't get involved in this, we can't complain about our recreational future.

DNR Meeting Target Shooting Flier.jpg

Last Edited:
Here's what I found about the meetings.

"A series of public meetings will offer Washingtonians a chance to weigh in with their views on how the Washington State Department of Natural Resources (DNR) can best offer opportunities for target shooting in Capitol, Tahuya, Harry Osborne and Yacolt Burn state forests, without endangering the public or restricting other vital uses of state lands. ...

We're interested in hearing ideas on how to manage target shooting in a way that keeps people safe and allows everyone to enjoy our state lands.

Each meeting begins with a 6:30 p.m. presentation followed by an open house:

--Tuesday, May 17 at the North Mason High School Cafeteria, 150 E. North Mason School Road, Belfair, WA 98528

--Tuesday, May 31 at the Water Resources Education Center, 4600 SE Columbia Way, Vancouver, WA 98661

--Wednesday, June 1 at the Burlington-Edison High School Cafeteria, 301 N. Burlington Blvd., Burlington, WA 98233

--Thursday, June 2 at The Evergreen State College Longhouse Education and Cultural Center, 2800 Dogtooth Lane NW, Olympia, WA 98505"

More info:

<broken link removed>

<broken link removed>

I hope we have a good representation and a good conversation with the Natural Resources folks.

Here's what I found about the meetings.

"A series of public meetings will offer Washingtonians a chance to weigh in with their views on how the Washington State Department of Natural Resources (DNR) can best offer opportunities for target shooting in Capitol, Tahuya, Harry Osborne and Yacolt Burn state forests, without endangering the public or restricting other vital uses of state lands. ...

We're interested in hearing ideas on how to manage target shooting in a way that keeps people safe and allows everyone to enjoy our state lands.

Each meeting begins with a 6:30 p.m. presentation followed by an open house:

--Tuesday, May 17 at the North Mason High School Cafeteria, 150 E. North Mason School Road, Belfair, WA 98528

--Tuesday, May 31 at the Water Resources Education Center, 4600 SE Columbia Way, Vancouver, WA 98661

--Wednesday, June 1 at the Burlington-Edison High School Cafeteria, 301 N. Burlington Blvd., Burlington, WA 98233

--Thursday, June 2 at The Evergreen State College Longhouse Education and Cultural Center, 2800 Dogtooth Lane NW, Olympia, WA 98505"

More info:

<broken link removed>

<broken link removed>

I hope we have a good representation and a good conversation with the Natural Resources folks.
Excellent work, Jack. Thank you!

Found another document that will probably apply to the meetings:
amp_rec_western_yacolt_burn_forest_recreation _plan2010.pdf

Especially pages 22 and 23, which show shooting regulations based on existing and proposed developments. . .

Ahhh... We can't post .pdf files on NWFA. But I did find the link to this pdf on their site in their Recreational Planning page... http://www.dnr.wa.gov/publications/amp_rec_western_yacolt_burn_forest_recreation _plan2010.pdf
However, that pdf is from Aug. 2010. This meeting is more of an 'addition to' that plan. Perhaps it's because recent issues were not covered in that plan and are now in the spotlight. Things like land owner issues associated with target shooting, lack of shooter awareness of rules, needs for safer places to shoot, fire danger concerns & recent findings, conflicts with other recreational groups, and so forth.

Recreation, of all kinds, has increased a lot, since 2010, and access has become a real issue among various types of groups (competitive battle for specific recreational use of the land). Meanwhile, we the shooting community has been silent, yet the numbers of shooters have been increasing, while more trash and more problems have come to light.

So how did so many other groups get their places to recreate on? The use of the land has been granted to those who speak out and get involved in the planning process.

With the opportunity we have at this meeting, we may be helping to write in a revised plan to include better guidelines for safe and responsible recreational shooting.

Looking forward to it.

Bill

Not sure if I can make this but if I were to go, what would be the most effective "strategy"? Is it simply a matter of attendance (numbers?) or should people be prepared to speak? If speaking what is the most effective messaging?

If speaking what is the most effective messaging?
Well, we, and they, are all aware of the trash problems so not much sense in complaining more about that. It is important, however, to realize not all the trash is from target shooting. Places to shoot are magnets for illegal dumping. When irresponsible shooters leave a mess, the illegal dumper thinks it looks like it's a good place to dump (it will mix in well and everyone will think is more target stuff to shoot at). Then shooters shoot it just because it's there and it's all blamed on shooters.

I think we could share our experiences we've had with our efforts to change the problem. Let them know we share the concerns and are actively involved in seeking solutions.

Acknowledge the problem, identify the source, offer solutions. The first two are easy and well known. The last one is elusive. I don't think there is any one solution to resolve the problem. It will need to be several things working together toward the common goal. (We still may never reach the ultimate goal, but I bet we could make things better along the way).

I'm pretty sold on the idea of education and awareness being part of the solution. Mostly because I've met many shooters, in the woods, who are unaware of rules and helpful tips about responsible recreational shooting. They all say they want to do it right and I'm sure some will, now that they know. Others may not hold true to their word. Eventually more will do the right thing.

Another one I really like is the development of shooting lanes. Lots of benefits for all recreational groups in that one!

Would love to hear more good talking points.

Cogs

Education is key. Most people don't realize the impact they have on the area by shooting up their garbage. The dumpers are a whole different issue. I'd like to "patrol" the area once every week or so, I'm close enough, being in Washougal. Keep an eye out, pick up a bag or two of trash. Maybe even start a facebook page dedicated to the area effort and individual cleanup done outside of the organized events. If anyone has any comments/suggestions, I'm totally open to advice.

-Sporting Systems

Education is key. Most people don't realize the impact they have on the area by shooting up their garbage. The dumpers are a whole different issue. I'd like to "patrol" the area once every week or so, I'm close enough, being in Washougal. Keep an eye out, pick up a bag or two of trash. Maybe even start a facebook page dedicated to the area effort and individual cleanup done outside of the organized events. If anyone has any comments/suggestions, I'm totally open to advice.

-Sporting Systems
Wow. We think alike. Like you, I felt the need to start a facebook page about this very subject. I try to post information about target shooting on public land, post about NWFA efforts, as well as, other efforts I find from around the USA. I especially like stories about when the bad guy gets busted! I want to know who's doing what, about the public land trash, and what efforts actually work. Always seeking solutions! I call it Trash No Land.

Best to just take a peek... www.facebook.com/trashnoland

Bill

-Sporting Systems
Let me know if you start a FB page about this, Tyler. I'd like to follow it.

Will do, Bill. Being up there often, and contributing would be pretty easy on my end. And rewarding. Psycholgically and in the free brass I find.
Perhaps you and I should 'Adopt-A-Site' and report on it every so often. I can set it up with DNR so we keep them in the loop as we check on certain shooting sites when ever we go up. Once we have signage posted at these sites we'll also replace the fliers (rules, tips, & ethics type fliers). It's a good way to keep the rest of us informed about the condition of shooting sites and helps spread the word that these sites are being monitiored.

Let me know if you want to do that. See the thread in the Outodoor Shooting Areas... Adopt-A-Site program.

Here is what I would like to say at this meeting... Let me know if it hits the target or if I need to go back to the range and site in the scope...
.......................................................................................................................
We are actively involvement with USFS in Mt Hood National Forest, Oregon Department of Forestry in Tillamook State Forest and Washington DNR in Yacolt Burn State Forest. Members are also getting involved with USFS in Snoqualmie National Forest and in Benton County Oregon with BLM and Corvallis Forest Service at Mary's Peak.

The mission of Northwest Firearms is to "Support gun owners of the Pacific Northwest". One of the ways we do that is through Community Outreach. Our goal is to reduce trash on public land through active involvement in cleanups and by communicating our message of ethical and responsible conduct to recreational sport shooters.

Our volunteers do cleanups at target shooting sites, participate in our Target Shooter Information Program and volunteer for our Adopt-A-Site Program. In addition, we offer incentives to members who take the initiative to do individual cleanups while enjoying a day of recreation.

We are 'like-minded' in the hope of making a positive change in our public lands and for the benefit of Recreational Sport Shooting.

I categorize target shooters into 3 groups: Responsible Shooters, Trash Shooters, and Wanna-Do-Right Shooters

· Responsible Shooters… Those who make the effort to plan their outing with advanced consideration to safety and rules. They clean up their own mess and usually remove more. These are the ones we don't need to preach to, but rather, we need to recruit.

· Trash Shooters… Those who don't care, have a bad attitude, disregard rules, and will shoot anything they darn well please. These people are hard to reach. They may have a good talk and they sound responsible, but, they will turn right around and do just the opposite when they're alone. They are the ones who need a visit from Law Enforcement.

· Wanna-Do-Right Shooters… Those who would like to do it right, but are unaware of rules and are not up to speed with common considerations for recreational shooting on public land. These are the most reachable and teachable types. They may also be the most common type of recreational shooter we talk to in the woods.

Our challenge is; How do we reach these people to effect a change for the good of our forests and for the good of Recreational Sport Shooting? I believe it's a combination of efforts such as; Cleanups, Information Programs, Adopt-A-Site Program, Community Outreach, and Develop Target Shooting Lanes. The more awareness we raise to the general public, the more compliance we'll see.

· Cleanups… A community comes together and joins in one spirit in a project that benefits all people who recreate on public land. Publicity fliers through vendors, word of mouth and media resources help spread the message of the firearms community being responsible in the forest.

· Information Programs… One on One communication to sport shooters, in the woods, is perhaps the best way to get our message across. It's that 'Point-Of-Sale' approach as they are in the woods to recreate and are interested in the information and help we offer.

· Adopt-A-Site… Volunteers taking ownership in certain target shooting sites, maintain it, keep fliers & postings current and reporting on it's condition. Consistency will not go un-noticed.

· Community Outreach… Distribution of printed materials to local merchants, media outlets and clubs, with rules and ethics for shooting on public land. This is well received by all.

· Develop Target Shooting Lanes… Make target shooting places that are more attractive and safer places to shoot. Less fire danger because of no shrubs or dry grass. Easy to clean up. Compatible and acceptable with other recreational groups, as they are located away from trails and other recreational uses.

As a community of firearms enthusiasts, we are joining forces and partnering with DNR to effectively promote responsible Recreational Sport Shooting.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top