JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
<broken link removed>

Natural remidies are your best bet...try to have books balancing diets specifically for diabetics, then stock up on those type of foods (specifically).

Practice with the recipies they recommend ASAP. See if your spouse can tell a significant difference in her health.

Hi, I was wondering? My wife is very diabetic. What would you do if you couldn't get the meds you needed? Especially if they required referigeration.
Be well.
Shawnzai!

I'm assuming by your post that your spouse is type one diabetic?

I appologize for what I'm about to say in the next regard in advance; however, I am very convinced that type one diabetics will die if SHTF due to lack of access to proper medications. The drugs involved do not have a significant shelf life (even when cooled) and will be in high demand. Even through significant diet changes, type one diabetics cannot survive without medications...this is a grim factor during SHTF and I am sorry if your spouse is type one.

Be aware that larger cities will always be priorities for re-supply. The Portland metro area falls into that category. Hospitals will do as they always do; prioritize patients according to acuity. Take that into consideration when deciding where you will spend your time during a SHTF event.

I have Type-1 diabetes & Riot is correct - I'm SOL if there's a long-term, end-of-the-world situation. Natural treatments aren't going to help a pancreas that doesn't work.

That doesn't mean you can't build-up a stockpile of insulin (it's normally good for a couple of years if kept cool & unopened - I have bottles w/ 3/13 expiration dates right now). I figure I can be of some use to my family for as long as I've got drugs available.

In regard to refrigeration, it's best for insulin, but I used to just keep mine in a cool closet & it did fine. Not optimal for long term, but it worked ok.

If you have healthcare, ask your doctor to prescribe a little more than needed & then refill on time every month - you'll build a stockpile over time. If no healthcare, then it's like anything - buy a little extra each time. And, be methodical about rotating through your stockpile.

If she has Type-2 diabetes, then she's got a better shot at managing it through diet/exercise/etc. & talking about prep may be a good excuse to talk about making lifestyle changes now.

Also, let's not forget there is a great variation of reasons to prep - from a short-duration snow storm to a mid-duration seismic event or civil unrest to long-term end-of-world scenarios. Prepping the best you can - even if it doesn't cover every scenario - still helps out. Just because you won't survive TEOTWAKI (and, how many of us will, really) doesn't mean you should give up.

That's quite a procedure for a non-chemist to attempt! I can't adjudge its validity, but I do know that you can recover bovine, ovine, or caprine insulin from live-animal pancreas and use it to treat human diabetics.

I wouldn't want to try it, but in a life or death situation its not going to hurt. If you were to have a large enough supply on hand in the first place say a year that would give you some lead time to perfect the process... **** if you got the food I'm sure you could find a chemist, vet, Doc etc, to help out. Point being is that its 1922 tech. You can duplicate it, think outside the box.

P.S. You can come to my house when the world ends, with your powers of chemistry and my amazing ability to be lazy and narcissistic we can rule the neoworld through the power of street drugs!:D

If you have healthcare, ask your doctor to prescribe a little more than needed & then refill on time every month - you'll build a stockpile over time. If no healthcare, then it's like anything - buy a little extra each time. And, be methodical about rotating through your stockpile.
Good point-- I've been doing that since I was 1st dxd with parkinson's 7 years back & about 5 of those years with zero health coverage. Luckily the one essential Rx is generic, cheap & long-term storable, but I sure as heck didn't/don't ever want to be without a back-up supply.

I have type 1 also. My insurance ran out at the beginning of summer. since then I've received free insulin, Lantus and Novolog, directly from the manufacture. All I had to do was have my dr. set up prescription assistance with the makers, prove I'm on unemployment, the makers send a three month supply to the dr. Dr. calls me to come and get it! Once your set up, you get a new shipment every 2-months.

Free is a very good price!

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads