JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Does anyone have any recommendations for buying medical supplies for future needs?

It seems like antibiotics would be high on the list. I've been thinking of getting some veterinary ones for long term storage.

How do people going on serious expeditions get various drugs and supplies?

Even the powdered veterinary antibiotics have a shelf life that isn't a whole lot different from human ones. Plus without a working understanding of pharmacology you'd be better off marrying or kidnapping a medical professional.

I suppose most folks ask the Dr. to write a script. I don't know about your Dr, but mine is happy to call in antibiotics for me anytime I ask him to. My problem in the past has been knowing what I need & when to use it. As I have screwed this up in the past, I no longer try to treat myself. I know that if you try, you can find places online to buy without a script & some of the meds I buy actually are real & work. Unfortunately most meds I find without a script come from India and production of fake meds is a large business. I know that at least some if not most of the meds I have purchased w/o scripts online are real, as I have been cured in the past using them...

The veterinary supplies are LOT cheaper. And I've got some retired medical professional friends that have offered advice on what to use for difference scenarios. Not ideal but better than nothing.

My wife and sister are both doc's so I have all kinds of things.

As far as getting scripts, talk to your doc. Sometimes doctors will and sometimes they wont. If they dont know you, probably not. If they think you are a hypochondriac, probably not. If they understand you are putting together a kit for bad times, then perhaps yes.

Whatever you do have in your kit, include a cheat sheet for usage. Nothing worse than having a tube of something and have no idea what its for. Hmm, is that burn ointment or fungicide?

I know that at least some if not most of the meds I have purchased w/o scripts online are real, as I have been cured in the past using them...

hmmmm it is my understanding that 20% of a group can be healed from just about anything with a glass of water. I think the FDA refers this to the placebo effect. One study suggests 1/3rd of the control group if they strongly believe they have the real medication being tested.

Placebo Effect - The Healing Power of Placebos

Do you believe ? I'm told a couple thousand years ago a prophet said, "It is done unto you, as you believe." Things do not seem to have really changed. If you really believe SHTF will occur in your lifetime, I reckon it will.

Medicine is extremely cheap, when you consider that in the past the cost was often infinite (not available at any price).

$50-$100 for a course of antibiotics that saves a limb? Let's be serious.

If you do buy medicine, be careful about sketchy sources, follow best practices for storage (cool, dry, dark place), be sure you know what the indications and contra-indications are for use, and rotate stock when necessary (which is not necessarily the official dates, but be aware for your particular type of medicine if expiration dates indicate lessened effectiveness, increased strength, or changes that become toxic.) Getting a software program pr books that cross-match medicines for toxicity and interactions would be a good idea too.

Remember, you can get antibiotics from Amazon.com under the label of "Fish Antibiotics"

The stuff you want to get are in the black and white bottle...they are USP pharmaceutical grade and they WORK. I know because I tested the Amoxacillin.

Remember, you can get antibiotics from Amazon.com under the label of "Fish Antibiotics"

The stuff you want to get are in the black and white bottle...they are USP pharmaceutical grade and they WORK. I know because I tested the Amoxacillin.

Is this the right one?

<broken link removed>

-d

Is this the right one?

<broken link removed>

-d

No, these...

<broken link removed>

I guess they added color to the fish and the price has went up 50% since last time I bought them. Notice it says USP at the end of the name. That's the stuff you want.

Antibiotics I recommend (in this format)

Ampicillin
Amoxicillin
Doxicycline
Cyproflaxin

I didn't see any Amoxicillin available on Amazon.

OK. Me, personally I'd rather have the stuff available. If it turns out I don't know how to use it; then I won't use it and....no harm done. but MAYBE just maybe someone will cross our paths who DOES know how to use it....or maybe the victim is so far gone that you figure it's worth a try to use the meds...but either way; if you don't have the meds.... ALL of those options are gone....am I right.....or am I right? ha ha ha....

So, what have I personally done? I've invested about $250 in an online pharmacy that will ship direct without an Rx. This was all for antibiotics....and I bought a variety, for many different reasons. Unlike most of my other preps; this is purely an investment in TEOTWAWKI because unlike my other preps I will NEVER rotate through this stuff. I have excellent medical insurance and will always choose to use "normally" aquired meds for any problems my family encounters as long as the grid is up.... So every 5-7 years I will be essentially "wasting" this investment. To me, it is worth it.

In the meantime, I have also been a little bit devious with the current medical system. I played up my husband's allergies to get him an almost endless supply of cheap asthma inhalers. These might not only come in handy for him; but for others. What if my son develops asthma as he gets older?... but we are already living off the grid? we have inhalers at least. I played up some family allergies to get my son an almost endless supply of epi-pens. (I told my son's pediatrician that I would feel more comfortable giving him his childhood vaccines if I had an epi-pen jr. at the ready in case of reaction...now in reality, I would get him his vaccines no matter what; but I know doctors are usually emotionally invested in getting kids vaccinated and so they will give a little here and there to get it done).

I also constantly buy ibuprofen, tylenol and aspirin. I rotate through them but even so, due to my huge inventory I am almost always using pain meds that are at least 2+ years expired and guess what? they all work just fine.

Check out the book "Where there is no doctor" from hesperian.org

and take a look at this article (which is posted elsewhere on this forum)

<broken link removed>

A Practical Guide to Antibiotics and Their Usage for Survival

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews