Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Medical supplies

Discussion in 'Preparedness & Survival' started by FourTeeFive, Aug 10, 2011.

1. FourTeeFive

FourTeeFive PNW Washington State Active Member

Does anyone have any recommendations for buying medical supplies for future needs?

It seems like antibiotics would be high on the list. I've been thinking of getting some veterinary ones for long term storage.

How do people going on serious expeditions get various drugs and supplies?

2. SonicBlue03

SonicBlue03 Snohomish Well-Known Member

Even the powdered veterinary antibiotics have a shelf life that isn't a whole lot different from human ones. Plus without a working understanding of pharmacology you'd be better off marrying or kidnapping a medical professional.

Fishnutz and (deleted member) like this.
  3. billdeserthills

billdeserthills Cave Creek, Arizony Well-Known Member

I suppose most folks ask the Dr. to write a script. I don't know about your Dr, but mine is happy to call in antibiotics for me anytime I ask him to. My problem in the past has been knowing what I need & when to use it. As I have screwed this up in the past, I no longer try to treat myself. I know that if you try, you can find places online to buy without a script & some of the meds I buy actually are real & work. Unfortunately most meds I find without a script come from India and production of fake meds is a large business. I know that at least some if not most of the meds I have purchased w/o scripts online are real, as I have been cured in the past using them...

4. FourTeeFive

The veterinary supplies are LOT cheaper. And I've got some retired medical professional friends that have offered advice on what to use for difference scenarios. Not ideal but better than nothing.

5. moose

moose northwet coast Well-Known Member

My wife and sister are both doc's so I have all kinds of things.

As far as getting scripts, talk to your doc. Sometimes doctors will and sometimes they wont. If they dont know you, probably not. If they think you are a hypochondriac, probably not. If they understand you are putting together a kit for bad times, then perhaps yes.

Whatever you do have in your kit, include a cheat sheet for usage. Nothing worse than having a tube of something and have no idea what its for. Hmm, is that burn ointment or fungicide?

6. kenno

kenno eastern WA Active Member

7. Hook686

Hook686 Northern California Active Member

hmmmm it is my understanding that 20% of a group can be healed from just about anything with a glass of water. I think the FDA refers this to the placebo effect. One study suggests 1/3rd of the control group if they strongly believe they have the real medication being tested.

Placebo Effect - The Healing Power of Placebos

Do you believe ? I'm told a couple thousand years ago a prophet said, "It is done unto you, as you believe." Things do not seem to have really changed. If you really believe SHTF will occur in your lifetime, I reckon it will.

8. Thebastidge

Thebastidge 10411 NE Fourth Plain Blvd Vancouver WA 98662 Well-Known Member

Medicine is extremely cheap, when you consider that in the past the cost was often infinite (not available at any price).

$50-$100 for a course of antibiotics that saves a limb? Let's be serious.

If you do buy medicine, be careful about sketchy sources, follow best practices for storage (cool, dry, dark place), be sure you know what the indications and contra-indications are for use, and rotate stock when necessary (which is not necessarily the official dates, but be aware for your particular type of medicine if expiration dates indicate lessened effectiveness, increased strength, or changes that become toxic.) Getting a software program pr books that cross-match medicines for toxicity and interactions would be a good idea too.

9. Riot

Riot Benton County, Washington Well-Known Member

Remember, you can get antibiotics from Amazon.com under the label of "Fish Antibiotics"

The stuff you want to get are in the black and white bottle...they are USP pharmaceutical grade and they WORK. I know because I tested the Amoxacillin.

10. old_heli_logger

old_heli_logger Hillsboro, Oregon Member

lowly monk and (deleted member) like this.
  11. Decker

Decker My house Active Member

Is this the right one?

Amazon.com: Fish Mox Forte 100ct: Home & Garden

-d

12. Riot

Decker and (deleted member) like this.
  13. FourTeeFive

I didn't see any Amoxicillin available on Amazon.

14. Riot

15. FourTeeFive

16. Riot

17. MissJ

MissJ Clackamas County Active Member

OK. Me, personally I'd rather have the stuff available. If it turns out I don't know how to use it; then I won't use it and....no harm done. but MAYBE just maybe someone will cross our paths who DOES know how to use it....or maybe the victim is so far gone that you figure it's worth a try to use the meds...but either way; if you don't have the meds.... ALL of those options are gone....am I right.....or am I right? ha ha ha....

So, what have I personally done? I've invested about $250 in an online pharmacy that will ship direct without an Rx. This was all for antibiotics....and I bought a variety, for many different reasons. Unlike most of my other preps; this is purely an investment in TEOTWAWKI because unlike my other preps I will NEVER rotate through this stuff. I have excellent medical insurance and will always choose to use "normally" aquired meds for any problems my family encounters as long as the grid is up.... So every 5-7 years I will be essentially "wasting" this investment. To me, it is worth it.

In the meantime, I have also been a little bit devious with the current medical system. I played up my husband's allergies to get him an almost endless supply of cheap asthma inhalers. These might not only come in handy for him; but for others. What if my son develops asthma as he gets older?... but we are already living off the grid? we have inhalers at least. I played up some family allergies to get my son an almost endless supply of epi-pens. (I told my son's pediatrician that I would feel more comfortable giving him his childhood vaccines if I had an epi-pen jr. at the ready in case of reaction...now in reality, I would get him his vaccines no matter what; but I know doctors are usually emotionally invested in getting kids vaccinated and so they will give a little here and there to get it done).

I also constantly buy ibuprofen, tylenol and aspirin. I rotate through them but even so, due to my huge inventory I am almost always using pain meds that are at least 2+ years expired and guess what? they all work just fine.

Check out the book "Where there is no doctor" from hesperian.org

and take a look at this article (which is posted elsewhere on this forum)

http://www.tetrahedron.org/articles/apocalypse/bio_chem_guide.html

A Practical Guide to Antibiotics and Their Usage for Survival

18. chowser2

chowser2 seaside Member

azithromycin is an important one. it is good for most pneumonia and bronchitis

19. chowser2

chowser2 seaside Member

doxycycline for skin infections

20. Rix

Rix Tacoma Active Member

Anyone have a resource for the length/dosage for proper courses of various anti-biotics?