JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey guy's so per the title, I was just curious how advanced some of your SHTF meds kits are. I've always wanted to put together a good medical kit just incase something happens to where regular medical services are nonexistent. As for mine I just started putting it together and thought I might be able to get some further ideas from the more experienced "survivalists".

Bandaids... while I don't use them very often, when I do, I tend to use lots
Kerlix/Gauze rollers... some people talk about quickclot, sutures, or fancy wound compression dressings. Stuff as much gauze as you can on the wound, apply direct pressure, elevate, and if need be set a tourniquet. Without ALS, they're either going to live or die by how well this works.
Tape... don't get the wussy 1/2 or 3/4" width tape they sell to pedestrians at CVS. Call galls, or your local medical supply store and get the 2" wide tape: works well with gauze.
Alcohol... not for drinkin, for sterilizin! 91% isopropyl is a good treatment for sterilizing instruments, skin, and taking care of certain topical infections.
Peroxide... 3% peroxide mixtures can be used for irrigating wounds, but will likely cause scarring and can damage healthy tissue, but it beats gangrene.
Sterile Saline... I could write several books about all the uses for sterile saline, treating dehydration, sinus infections, eye infections, ear infections, hypovolemic shock, hyponatremia, wound care etc etc. You should either stock some sterile saline, or get good at making it. I would suggest both as for treating many ills it's my go-to.
Drugs - can be kinda've a slippery slope. Frankly, you should stock the "lifesaving four" ibuprofen, asprin, loperamide (immodium), and diphenhydramine (benadryl). In my med kit, I keep about 400 ibuprofen, and a token quantity of the others. If SHTF, I can't afford to be debilitated by a headache. Which I am certain to have. I would also suggest some triple antibiotic ointment, some anti-fungal foot cream, electrolyte tablets, glucose tablets and a quantity of loratadine (claratin, generic). I would not suggest prescription anti-biotics or narcotic painkillers. There are too many unknowns in the field to really expect these to have a good outcome, chances are it will cause the patient to die of some kind of resistant infection.
Tweezers... Always have a fat pair, and a long thin pair, and a pair with really sharp points.
Hemostats... They're like tweezers, but they lock in position, these are usually great for holding things while bandaging, but can be used to clamp arteries.
EMT Shears! - yea, I'm totally cerial about these, you should have at least one pair of these in your bag already.
Gloves - Duh!
Hand soap/sanitizer - again, duh!

Also, I would highly recommend getting some splinter removers and a magnifying glass. Dealing with GSW's is going to be .01% of the threats you will face. Mostly it will be the little stuff, headaches sinus infections, diarrhea, cuts and scrapes, splinters, fungal infections, that will make you wish you were dead long before you get there. The people who get shot and die might be the lucky ones.

Speaking of which, I was reading something the other day about Theodore Roosevelt, he carried a vial of laudenum (tincture of opium) with him while on safari and travels. The vial was a fatal dose, so if he were wounded out hunting/hiking alone, he could ensure himself a relatively fast and painless death if it came to that.

Good topic! most people prepare for the gun fights, but not the results of a gunfight.
I have put some serious time into putting together multiple trauma kits and stabilization kits along with your basic first aid. anti-diarrhea medication can save a life just as well as high buck medical equipment.

Start with gathering some basic trauma supplies, and anti-biotics as these will be life or death items.
It is easy to improvise small bandages but improvising amoxicillin or metronidazole is much more difficult.

Large yet still mobile Trauma kits should include

Trauma shears - 1
Gloves, sterile greatly preferred but also more expensive, not a necessity if you have antibiotics - 2 pair
Blood clotting agent (I like Combat Gauze Z-fold) - 1 or 2
Abdominal pads - 3-10
Israeli bandage 6'' and or 10'' - 1-2
ACE bandage 3''-5'' width - 1 or 2
tourniquet (C-A-T's work okay for the price) - 2
Nasopharyngeal airway - 1
Chest seal (commercial one or buy some petrolatum gauze) - 2
500ML or larger Sodium Chloride IV W/ connecting tubing. - 1
Tape - a lot of it, the stronger & stickier the better
Locking clamps - 2-4
16 gauge needle W/ polymer insert (only needed if you can ACTUALLY do a chest decompression) -1
aluminum pliable splint - 1
dissolving and non dissolving sutures - 3 of each
antiseptic wash - a excellent multi purpose antiseptic is Hibiclens, works as a hand scrub, and a direct wound wash (avoid using for toilet of deep wounds)
also keep some 10% iodine on hand, and some hydrogen peroxide

pharmaceutical grade antibiotics can be purchased online for your "sick fish" that work just as well on your sick friends at

<broken link removed>

LEARN WHAT THESE DO! you can kill or seriously hurt someone by using the wrong antibiotic.

But the most useful item of them all is knowledge. Get out there and read some articles on battlefield stabilization of traumatic wounds and subsequent care without the aid of a doctor.

check out this website, it offers in depth descriptions for the treatment of traumatic injuries. The guide is wrote by doctors for third world medical personnel that do not have access to fancy medical equipment.
plus, pictures included!

<broken link removed>

the more you know the less you need!

You actually bring up a good topic... airways

NP and OP airways are actually a decent thing to have, for NP (naso-pharangeal) airways you can get the long ones, and then cut them to length. Can't really do that with OP airways, however I think OP's are the better ones to have. Also, for NP airways, don't forget to keep some astroglide handy, as they're difficult to insert without it. Also, you can't use airways on conscious or semi-conscious patients, nor should you (they will probably vomit when to try to insert them) which can be a complication resulting in death. (aspiration)

Both of these are good treatment when dealing with poisoning, and if you need to put somebody under for surgery, it's a necessity.

You actually bring up a good topic... airways

Also, you can't use airways on conscious or semi-conscious patients, nor should you (they will probably vomit when to try to insert them) which can be a complication resulting in death. (aspiration)

As an anesthetist, I can't completely agree..... There's not many scenarios that I can imagine where I would put a nasal airway in a conscious person.
But I have had quite a few folks that I have put in while they were asleep and let them wake up with them in place. I rarely see any gagging and if I do, it can usually be stopped by pulling the tube out about a half inch or so. Usually when one inserts a nasal airway, it's because of a problem and there's just a couple of minutes to fix it. usually means that there's a fair amount of adrenalin in the air.....this promotes a tendency to put that baby down all the way....usually unnecessary.
I very much agree on using some kind of lube. These babies hurt a bunch going in and not uncommonly can cause nosebleeds. Btw... a significant nosebleed AND a compromised airway is not a happy day for anyone...... A nasal airway isn't always a good choice for a beginner but sometimes is a life saver . JMO..

As an anesthetist, I can't completely agree..... There's not many scenarios that I can imagine where I would put a nasal airway in a conscious person.
But I have had quite a few folks that I have put in while they were asleep and let them wake up with them in place. I rarely see any gagging and if I do, it can usually be stopped by pulling the tube out about a half inch or so. Usually when one inserts a nasal airway, it's because of a problem and there's just a couple of minutes to fix it. usually means that there's a fair amount of adrenalin in the air.....this promotes a tendency to put that baby down all the way....usually unnecessary.
I very much agree on using some kind of lube. These babies hurt a bunch going in and not uncommonly can cause nosebleeds. Btw... a significant nosebleed AND a compromised airway is not a happy day for anyone...... A nasal airway isn't always a good choice for a beginner but sometimes is a life saver . JMO..

Can't say I've got that level of expertise, but in my EMT class we were admonished not to use them on conscious patients. A few years ago, I did lose a friend to aspiration... he took a spill, bumped his head, and while unconscious vomited and it got sucked into his lungs, I like to think it was fast, but the only consolation I have is he never regained consciousness.

Can't say I've got that level of expertise, but in my EMT class we were admonished not to use them on conscious patients. A few years ago, I did lose a friend to aspiration... he took a spill, bumped his head, and while unconscious vomited and it got sucked into his lungs, I like to think it was fast, but the only consolation I have is he never regained consciousness.

Sorry about your friend.....

Yeah, aspiration is every anesthetist's nightmare ( among others). My pet peeve are the patients who are offended when we tell them not to eat or drink anything before surgery..... I've never found a way to explain it without scaring the heck out of them ( which is a disservice to the patient , too). In the end .....I usually just end up looking like an hardass.

Well 2 different parts here.

First to the OP, no point in having anything in your kit you are not "trained" or prepared to use appropriately......... So while it is good to know what others have in their kits for the "tricks" no point in packing like someone else. I am a paramedic so I have a full ALS "kit".

On the second point of simple airways, i.e. the OPA and NPA. Both are very straight forward and easy to use, IF used in the right cases. The main contraindication for OPA is an intact gag reflex. Most people who are awake have an intact gag, but I do know people who fully awake an alert can take an OPA. Nice thing about OPA is that a person with a decreased level of consciousness and no gag is that when they become more alert they will simply "spit" it out.

As for NPA these also have their place. The main contra indication in these is a head injury. Nice things is they can be used in people with an intact gag reflex.

I am not sure why you were told in class not to use them. We do all the time, they work well and are effect. Just like anything else, they have to be used right. I teach and advocate their use when I am teaching EMT classes, but hey I have only been doing this stuff in a busy system since '97.....

i didnt read any of the above responses but i can already tell you are going at it the wrong way. first off, forget about a kit that goes past your typical everyday medical needs. go take a few classes, then pick up supplies that you know how to use. after the classes you will know how to use each piece of equipment and you wont have any junk that has no use to you when you dont know how to use it.

A mirror is really nice when you get something in your eye. A flashlight or head lamp is helpful in many first aid situations.

I always have a tiny first aid kit in my wallet, it is good for small stuff.

One overlooked facet to treating injury or illness in a non-professional setting is compassionate care in a hygienic, safe place to rest. Having somebody to help keep you clean, change dressings, see that you're dry, fed, and as comfortable as possible can be far more important than items in a kit.
Working through recovery from a serious injury without proper shelter, clean bedding, clean water, and heat isn't a very promising prospect.

Some basic nursing skills aren't beyond anybody to perform, but are vital in proper care for the injured.

i didnt read any of the above responses but i can already tell you are going at it the wrong way. first off, forget about a kit that goes past your typical everyday medical needs. go take a few classes, then pick up supplies that you know how to use. after the classes you will know how to use each piece of equipment and you wont have any junk that has no use to you when you dont know how to use it.
Dang it! So I've been lugging around this car battery and jumper cables all this time for nothing?

Well 2 different parts here.

First to the OP, no point in having anything in your kit you are not "trained" or prepared to use appropriately......... So while it is good to know what others have in their kits for the "tricks" no point in packing like someone else. I am a paramedic so I have a full ALS "kit".

On the second point of simple airways, i.e. the OPA and NPA. Both are very straight forward and easy to use, IF used in the right cases. The main contraindication for OPA is an intact gag reflex. Most people who are awake have an intact gag, but I do know people who fully awake an alert can take an OPA. Nice thing about OPA is that a person with a decreased level of consciousness and no gag is that when they become more alert they will simply "spit" it out.

As for NPA these also have their place. The main contra indication in these is a head injury. Nice things is they can be used in people with an intact gag reflex.

I am not sure why you were told in class not to use them. We do all the time, they work well and are effect. Just like anything else, they have to be used right. I teach and advocate their use when I am teaching EMT classes, but hey I have only been doing this stuff in a busy system since '97.....

You should see Army grunts take one end of their dog tag chains, lean their heads back and gravity feed that puppy up their nostril, cough the end out through their mouth, then proceed to pull it back and forth from each end like you would a wire saw.... o_O :s0108:

Bandaids... while I don't use them very often, when I do, I tend to use lots
Kerlix/Gauze rollers... some people talk about quickclot, sutures, or fancy wound compression dressings. Stuff as much gauze as you can on the wound, apply direct pressure, elevate, and if need be set a tourniquet. Without ALS, they're either going to live or die by how well this works.
Tape... don't get the wussy 1/2 or 3/4" width tape they sell to pedestrians at CVS. Call galls, or your local medical supply store and get the 2" wide tape: works well with gauze.
Alcohol... not for drinkin, for sterilizin! 91% isopropyl is a good treatment for sterilizing instruments, skin, and taking care of certain topical infections.
Peroxide... 3% peroxide mixtures can be used for irrigating wounds, but will likely cause scarring and can damage healthy tissue, but it beats gangrene.
Sterile Saline... I could write several books about all the uses for sterile saline, treating dehydration, sinus infections, eye infections, ear infections, hypovolemic shock, hyponatremia, wound care etc etc. You should either stock some sterile saline, or get good at making it. I would suggest both as for treating many ills it's my go-to.
Drugs - can be kinda've a slippery slope. Frankly, you should stock the "lifesaving four" ibuprofen, asprin, loperamide (immodium), and diphenhydramine (benadryl). In my med kit, I keep about 400 ibuprofen, and a token quantity of the others. If SHTF, I can't afford to be debilitated by a headache. Which I am certain to have. I would also suggest some triple antibiotic ointment, some anti-fungal foot cream, electrolyte tablets, glucose tablets and a quantity of loratadine (claratin, generic). I would not suggest prescription anti-biotics or narcotic painkillers. There are too many unknowns in the field to really expect these to have a good outcome, chances are it will cause the patient to die of some kind of resistant infection.
Tweezers... Always have a fat pair, and a long thin pair, and a pair with really sharp points.
Hemostats... They're like tweezers, but they lock in position, these are usually great for holding things while bandaging, but can be used to clamp arteries.
EMT Shears! - yea, I'm totally cerial about these, you should have at least one pair of these in your bag already.
Gloves - Duh!
Hand soap/sanitizer - again, duh!

Also, I would highly recommend getting some splinter removers and a magnifying glass. Dealing with GSW's is going to be .01% of the threats you will face. Mostly it will be the little stuff, headaches sinus infections, diarrhea, cuts and scrapes, splinters, fungal infections, that will make you wish you were dead long before you get there. The people who get shot and die might be the lucky ones.

Speaking of which, I was reading something the other day about Theodore Roosevelt, he carried a vial of laudenum (tincture of opium) with him while on safari and travels. The vial was a fatal dose, so if he were wounded out hunting/hiking alone, he could ensure himself a relatively fast and painless death if it came to that.
The C.A.T. tourniquet is an ideal restrictor as you can easily apply to yourself with one useable hand. Also as far as shtf meds go, some pet meds can do in a pinch. Such as antibiotics and the like. You can make colloidal silver solution relatively easy for topical antibiotical application. Saline is relatively Cheap if you buy the store brands. On Some of the bandage materials you can save a bit if you buy together with like-minded friends in bulk. Unsterile 4x4's can be bought in 250 & 500 count loaves and vare perfectly clean enough to dress a wound. Just package 4 to 8 in ziplock bags and your good to go.

The C.A.T. tourniquet is an ideal restrictor as you can easily apply to yourself with one useable hand. Also as far as shtf meds go, some pet meds can do in a pinch. Such as antibiotics and the like. You can make colloidal silver solution relatively easy for topical antibiotical application. Saline is relatively Cheap if you buy the store brands. On Some of the bandage materials you can save a bit if you buy together with like-minded friends in bulk. Unsterile 4x4's can be bought in 250 & 500 count loaves and vare perfectly clean enough to dress a wound. Just package 4 to 8 in ziplock bags and your good to go.
One more item to think about is self-adhering tape like sports tape. Sticks to itself but not to skin. When treating bloody wounds or holding an I.V. in place regular tape won't stick to wet (ie; bloody or sweaty) skin. Sports wrap wound around the limb/ torso will hold well.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top