JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm looking for resources; a short list of classes or training that a prepared person should be familiar with, if you have any links or additions to the list that'd be great:

- Basic CPR
- Trauma care

Also include basic items in your kit: sutures, gauze, medical tape (lots of it, serious), bandages big and small, some sort of 'caine for pain relief, antibiotic ointment, needles, alcohol pads, small syringes. All of this fits in a small pack and can be invaluable if, nope, when needed.

Wilderness First Aid looks pretty good:

Also:

REI also has wilderness first aid classes.

As a medical professional, you should absolutely at least have a BLS- basic life support certification. You can get an ALS- Advanced life support cert as well. Classes are held all over and are relatively cheap to attend. Anything above that should definitely be thoroughly vetted. Like @UnionMillsNW said, Stop The Bleed is GTG. You didn't ask about supplies and although everyone is telling you where to get some, they dont mean shiit without training. That being said, do NOT cheap out on tourniquets and definitely buy a few, not just one. I mean like half a dozen.

I'm looking for resources; a short list of classes or training that a prepared person should be familiar with, if you have any links or additions to the list that'd be great:

- Basic CPR
- Trauma care
Not to scare you, but have you ever witnessed an emergency situation where blood or no blood was visible? I ask because there are people that just CANNOT: wake from a stupor in the heat of the moment, stand the sight or smell of blood, or other disorienting time-wasting moments.

My training comes from medical school and the first week of school, we lost 5-6 students because of the REALITY that you may be the one saving someone's life or your own. CPR is easy and has changed a few times since I have first learned but I do not really see how much of a difference the changes make. Trauma care to me gets me my "caffiene/ adrenaline high," I love it, yet it is not for everyone.

In my earlier post, about where to buy cheap and proper medical supplies, I did not know about any other traingings that you asked about, so I offered post training info - where to buy supplies upon completing your training. A lot of household stuff can also be used to add to the first-aid kit such as thread and needle, scissors, elastic bands, plastic ties, cotton cloth, duct tape, etc. If you can find a military trained field medic, you will learn the dirty, sweet and nasty secrets about saving lives with minimal eqipment.

I do recall seeing the fire department offer free basic CPR offered by American Heart (i think). Others posters will lead you well, too.

Sorry for all these words.

There are always a ton of products and all out there. I came across David ( former Navy Doctor and ER Physician) and Beth several years ago and immediately knew their products were what we had been looking for. We had what we thought were a couple of good semi trauma kits, since I am a former EMT II, (old school days) wife was an EMT I, CMA and currently works in the local ER. We kept these kits in both our vehicles and utilized them several times.

While they are helpful, in most trauma cases you will simply not have enough gear to deal with it as you would like. When we found these products, we bought a couple of the trauma kits and have dipped into them a couple of times, but have found them very good for what we need.

David and Beth used to be on social media quite a bit, but dropped that aspect a couple years ago. I would suggest that anyone who desires this type of training, that you get to at least an EMT Basic level, certified or not for your own uses. Here is a good explanation of the levels:

3 Levels of EMT Certification: Basic, Intermediate & Paramedic

This is a link to David and Beths products.

Range Medic — Amp-3 First Aid Kits

There are some that advertise all on line, but just as there are a ton of online cereal box diploma programs for most college degrees, that are practical skills that you will have to learn, that can only be learned by practical application. You will have to put in about 100 hours of training to get to the EMT Basic level, another 110 or so to get to EMT Intermediate.

I did my training a long time ago, do not currently hold any certifications, but I still have the skill set if needed.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads