JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a friend in Canada who is a licensed, practicing Pharmacist. I got up the nerve to "come out of the closet" with regard to being more prepared. I explained to her how I was working on our personal supplies with the assumption that we could be on own our for up to a month after an earthquake, and I then asked her what three to five antibiotics she might personally try to stock if she had to plan for similar. I didn't ask her to do anything illegal such as getting me any prescription antibiotics, but rather just provide her input as an experienced Pharmacist. Her unedited reply is below.

I thought you might like this information too. :)

Peter

Wellll, I've been thinking about this...
I would definitely keep all pain medications that you have (prescription or not). Keep in mind that most expiry dates for those types of meds are about 3 years.
Expiry dates guarantee the drug is active and effective up to 95% until that date... then most degrade or lose potency on a logarithmic scale or exponentially.
So, it is okay to use most things past their expiry date, but they may not be as "strong". Antibiotic "tetracycline" is not safe to use past expiry date, though.
Antibiotics generally have expiry of two years, give or take 6 months.

I would suggest you also stock: a type of polysporin ointment..(generic or brand) it is really good for minor cuts and scrapes and usually used on incision sites around sutures, etc.
If you can purchase Fucidin ointment (or cream) or Bactroban ointment(crm) these are also very good antibiotics. They are considered a bit stronger, but are prescription drugs here.

For oral antibiotics, Cephalexin (Keflex) 500mg four times daily for 7-10days is standard treatment for a lot of different types of infections. It is helpful for internal infections, urinary issues,
and many many skin infections. It is a cousin to penicillin so there is a 5-10% chance that a person allergic to penicillin would be allergic to cephalexin. However, in almost twenty years in
the hospital, we would give a cepahlosporin for so many people that were allergic to penicillin and I never heard or saw any one having a reaction to it.

Cloxacillin is another antibiotic that would be great for skin infections.

Although, Clindamycin has good coverage for a lot of bugs, but also gets anerobic bacteria which are responsible for stomach issues and dental abscess.
Hard on the stomach.. Needs to be taken with food, but would be a good one to stock.

Amoxicillin 500mg three times daily for 7- 10 days is another one that (is a penicillin) would be wise to have as it is first line in chest, sinus and ear infections.

Lastly, I would want to have a quinolone antibiotic, which is ciprofloxacin, levofloxacin, or moxifloxacin.
Cipro is used for bladder infections and given to people travelling to mexico to treat travellers diarrhea.
Depending on which quinolone a person uses, they are usually good for infections above or below the diaphragm.
Eg. Moxi for above the diaphragm (respiratory issues) and cipro below the diaphragm.

In summary,
You need an antibiotic ointment, and a couple of different oral choices.
Perhaps, cephalexin and cipro but you may have different thoughts depending on what you would likely be dealing with in the event of an emergency.
ANother one I suggest would be hydrocortisone ointment 0.5% (over the counter ) or 1 % prescription, here. This is great for rashes and minor skin
irritations, eczema and such.
I tend to go with ointments rather than cream as the ointment doesn't usually sting when applied and gives more protection to the area.
For washing wounds, our hospital here did use some saline (0.9% sodium chloride) but usually it was just water in most situations now.
The days of hydrogen peroxide for irrigation are long gone.

I used Fishmox once for a respiratory infection. Had a pretty nasty cold and with the dust and bubblegume in the air in Afghanistan, combined with no medical support for contractors, I was in pretty bad shape, hard green mucus coughing up from deep in the chest.

I was literally about to ask for medivac but the veterinary amoxycilin did the trick to turn the corner ands start improving in a couple days.

We don't use pharma.. instead

Hydrogen peroxide (you can buy food grade 8% and stronger)

Sulfa vet concoctions

Oil of Oregano

Ozone

And many other natural remedies

if you ever facing skin infections, do prefer medication like antibiotics and make sure you use oxygen skincare creme which is really effective.Sauerstoff Kosmetik is very rich in oxygen and good for skin problems too.

Yep! Researched this out to be sure... the amoxicillin in Fishmox from Thomas Laboratories is the very same as what they serve up to humans... same pills, same codes, same dosages, same batches go to either... ditto FishFlox. Both can be purchased easily on Ebay cheap. Bought plenty for my med kit... used 'em once and worked just as one would expect.
I used Fishmox once for a respiratory infection. Had a pretty nasty cold and with the dust and bubblegume in the air in Afghanistan, combined with no medical support for contractors, I was in pretty bad shape, hard green mucus coughing up from deep in the chest.

I was literally about to ask for medivac but the veterinary amoxycilin did the trick to turn the corner ands start improving in a couple days.

I recently took a first aid course and the instructor suggested honey as an anti-bacterial.

Honey: its medicinal property and antibacterial activity

Microbial resistance to honey has never been reported[53], which makes it a very promising topical antimicrobial agent against the infection of antibiotic-resistant bacteria (e.g., MDR S. maltophilia) and in the treatment of chronic wound infections that do not respond to antibiotic therapy. Hence honey has been used as a last-resort medication. Manuka honey has been widely researched and its antibacterial potential is renowned worldwide. The potency of honeys, such as Tualang honey, against microorganisms suggests its potential to be used as an alternative therapeutic agent in certain medical conditions, particularly wound infection.

This comes off the NIH website.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads