JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
thanks guys for all the input, you are very helpful and insightful. I wish, and I would want to teach what i have learned and experienced,.... but I am VERY hesitant. I guess as it should be. Its hard to hold a skill set and keep it all to yourself...its like knowing where a pot of gold is and not telling the leprechaun. :)

Have you thought about going at it the other way, and encouraging teens to find their own pot of gold?

I have had my dad (30 yrs Air National Guard + a bunch of other service organizations) come in to talk to my geography classes for the past few years. Not only has he opened their eye to his experiences traveling around the world, but he has also shown them even if you are from a small town you can go on to do important things.

On the plus side, you can practice teaching on teens and see if you really like it.

One thing to keep in mind about military training and the way we did things when in the service...Is that it may not be applicable or the best way to do a similar action outside of the military or in a combat zone.

For instance , how we were taught to clear and secure a room or house in the Army , may not be the best way to do that in your neighborhood...:eek::D

Be sure to "tailor" any instructions or techniques to the person being taught , to fit their needs and situation.
Andy

Its hard to hold a skill set and keep it all to yourself...its like knowing where a pot of gold is and not telling the leprechaun. :)
We live in a society that used to train its people, and wanted people to share their knowledge. My experience in Industry, employees are expected to show up knowing exactly what to do, and few of them actually do. I think some of the greatest giving an individual can do is to share their knowledge, teach others to do and improve upon what they know, and hopefully mentor and imbue students with skills that surpass the teacher's.
Just my opinion here, to be incredibly talented is a gift from God, to be able to share and teach that Talent is an even greater gift.

We live in a society that used to train its people, and wanted people to share their knowledge. My experience in Industry, employees are expected to show up knowing exactly what to do, and few of them actually do. I think some of the greatest giving an individual can do is to share their knowledge, teach others to do and improve upon what they know, and hopefully mentor and imbue students with skills that surpass the teacher's.
Just my opinion here, to be incredibly talented is a gift from God, to be able to share and teach that Talent is an even greater gift.

In my experience employees suck and are usually a bunch of lazy, :rolleyes::oops::oops: Never mind you already know.

One thing to keep in mind about military training and the way we did things when in the service...Is that it may not be applicable or the best way to do a similar action outside of the military or in a combat zone.

For instance , how we were taught to clear and secure a room or house in the Army , may not be the best way to do that in your neighborhood...:eek::D

Be sure to "tailor" any instructions or techniques to the person being taught , to fit their needs and situation.
Andy

Hand me that room-broom and a frag, zippy! We're cleanin' house!! ;)

:D

If you suck as a teacher/trainer, or are good at it but don't have the patience for the trainees, it turns into a dead end,
This is very true - I have a monthly seminar I put on for customers at work (utilizing my education and experience) and patience and empathy is paramount! I have a unique way of making myself a part of the class, imparting myself as one of the attendees in a sense and injecting humor from many of my own experiences but it still takes patience and the ability to listen - especially when some of the simplest and most basic questions are asked.

Last Edited:
thanks guys for all the input, you are very helpful and insightful. I wish, and I would want to teach what i have learned and experienced,.... but I am VERY hesitant. I guess as it should be. Its hard to hold a skill set and keep it all to yourself...its like knowing where a pot of gold is and not telling the leprechaun. :)

I think you should try. Teaching is one of the most rewarding things possible, however it is also very difficult.

I tutored math and physics in college, and it is more exhausting than working out.

Imo, the best way to learn the long range game on the civi side is to go enter some PRS comps.

The classes I have seen and taken range from $300 to $1500.

If the student has good fundamentals, a decent rifle and glass, then the rest is just gathering dope.

Fieldcraft is really just knowing and applying methods to mitigate the 5Ss and what size of Depends diaper fits yer tail.

I would agree Kruel j and Overwatch. its not the mil guys who attend this training. well if they were combat arms that is. As they would have had their fill of it by now. The civilian sector is where the money is at. Your primary customer is the rich guy who fantasizes of being a Tier 1 operator door kicker who can make the Coriolis effect submit to his will when he thinks of shooting long range or the Black ops/ call to duty kid. you get the meaning.
its a great idea and I wont argue that.
Right now its like offering a forged AR lower in a market swamped with low cost lowers. You have to stand out, stand above and show value in the product you are offering and why I should spend my money with you.
I have taken some great classes in my former .mil life and as a civilian. In some cases I took the training because of the instructor and paid a lot more than a similar course elsewhere.

An idea maybe even more a proof of concept idea.
if you want to give it a try develop a course of fire or TC3 course as said above in respect to what you want the focus to be. post up a new thread and invite "X" numbers of guys to test out your class, get feedback and refine and do it again. You provide the expertise and what they are shooting at, they provide the rest.
or
you can look for work with one of the many reputable companies in the PNW learn the basics and branch out from there.

don't get disheartened. come up with what you want to focus on. develop solid courses of fire or period of instruction per task. run it by some of the guys/gals on here or another source that understands what it is you are teaching. if you have never instructed before you will understand how difficult and exhausting it can be in short order. rehearse, rehearse, refine and rehearse some more.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top