JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Don't know if this has been discussed here but I'm looking to get a media separator and I'd like to know which ones are the favorite of members here.
I use corncob media exclusively but have about 10# of the walnut in a bag (too dusty for me).

As always, thanks in advance.;)

I bought/use a Frankford Arsenal Standard Media Separator (from Amazon) and a 5gal. bucket:
Amazon.com: Buying Choices: Frankford Arsenal Standard Media Separator.
I use walnut media/corncob mix and add a table spoonful of odorless mineral spirits (OMS) for dust control.
I find the inside of the cases and primer pockets come out cleaner using OMS too.
Add it to just the media and run it for a few minutes before adding the brass.

Another popular additive is NuFinish car polish, it contains an abrasive and wax or some such slippery stuff...makes sizing much easier for me.

One more thing, I put the brass, just the brass back in the tumbler, after separating, and run it for a minute or two to dislodge/remove any media stuck in the cases.
:D

Last Edited:
Preference to this as it takes up less space. Also works well down the road if you get into stainless media cleaning. You need a top cover for that.

D5BCE41A-2489-4ACF-9547-64606C1C1BB3.jpeg

I've got the Frankford model similar to that posted. I use this for separating SS pins from the brass.

For the dry media, I used the Lyman turbo tumbler with the auto Flo which allows the media to drain from the bowl while keeping the brass inside.

And as mentioned, mineral spirits (a capful) in the walnut media eliminates the dust and keeps the brass clean.

When I used walnut media I used one of the FA blue plastic jobs over a 5 gallon bucket. I would go with what dyj said, then down the line if you switch to SS you already have the separator.

Edit: Tilos posted what I originally was talking about.

Picked up two 1.5 gallon buckets at the dollar store that fit together. Drilled a crapload of 1/4" holes in the bottom of one of them. The one with the holes sits inside the one without. Dump your brass and media in the holy bucket and shake, the media flows out the holes into the non holy bucket. Works great and is cheap, been using it for probably 20 years now...

for a period of years before I finally bought the Blue version, I used a deep-fry basket from a junk store, over a plastic dish tub. The strainer cost me 25 cents (at the time) and already had the tub. I graduated to a different strainer, instead of a wire basket with maybe 3/8" squares, to a ($1.00) stainless steel pot with 1/4" round drain holes. It worked less easily than the wire version. They both aggravated me enough to save up for the Dillon version, which has served perfectly well for nearly 30 years since purchase.

For years I have been using a 2 pound coffee can with 1/4" holes drilled in the bottom. I added a handle made from a piece of 10ga. Household wire.

I got some time out in the shop today to do a little bit of this and a little bit of that like priming 40 Smith & Wesson cases and tumbling some 223 cases.
My new Lyman media separator worked fabulous I'm impressed. Thanks for all the help any information you passed on.
20180130_212526.jpg

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top