JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've tried all kinds of stuff over the years, everything is a compromise between price and effectiveness and speed. What I use, I have a little wire mesh trashcan I got at the dollar store, it's the cheapest and fastest thing I've ever used, provided you don't dump too much brass into it it works fantastic.

Most of the injection molded screens don't work too well as the cases (rifle) usually lay on their side, and don't dump all the media out, and pistol cases tend to orient themselves base down (again, not dumping all the media). The trash can is deep enough that you can give it some good shakes and not have the brass come out. Also, since it's wire, you don't really have the static cling issues that plastics tend to.

The only thing faster are continuous screen trommels, but lets not even go there as they cost lots of $$.

I have the rcbs one as well it works really well but is kind of a p.o.s. as far as quality. I would recommend looking at the small dillon one as they are much better made for not a lot more $
Dillon Precision: Reloaders, Reloading Equipment, Bullet Reloading, Bullet Reloaders
I know I will be replacing mine with one once the rest of the silly plastic hinge tabs break off. The berrys one that Akmewon linked looks as it is the same as the rcbs but blue.
I would be happy to meet you some time with mine and a bit of brass and media so you can try before buying one they are much better than a colander or some other screen method.

I only load hand gun and the Dollar Store had a wire mesh basket, has held up well for a buck, and a tote type thing with a lid . I'm using a standard vibratory tumbler and the basket will hold around 400 9mm I'm guessing. I just dump brass and media in the basket in the tote and toss it around over the tote.

Thanks for the heads up guys:s0155: I love looks of the Dillon set up but I think I might just try a cheap wire contraption and use it for a few.

Never know maybe Santa will bring me something:s0114: Plus at this time I am just getting going so not really cranking out the ammo.

Papercidal thanks for the offer but I think the Dillon will work if I go with a commercial one.

Thanks for the heads up guys:s0155: I love looks of the Dillon set up but I think I might just try a cheap wire contraption and use it for a few.

Never know maybe Santa will bring me something:s0114: Plus at this time I am just getting going so not really cranking out the ammo.

Papercidal thanks for the offer but I think the Dillon will work if I go with a commercial one.

Probably a good choice, like I said the rcbs one works really well but the build quality/design is a little mickey mouse not bad but not enough cheaper than the very nice dillon to be worth getting. I fought the buy blue crowd for a long time but other than pistol dies I have found their products to be well worth the price difference.

Keep in mind when using a media separator the potential of lead poisoning and contamination of the area you are using it in.
Especially if you have small children.

Keep in mind when using a media separator the potential of lead poisoning and contamination of the area you are using it in.
Especially if you have small children.

I have fond childhood memories of casting lead toy soldiers in an unventilated basement with my dad. And then playing with those pure lead toys. And many a stained glass project down there as well. :/

Probably a good choice, like I said the rcbs one works really well but the build quality/design is a little mickey mouse

This is what I was referring to. I almost broke one of the hinge "pins" the first time I used it! I take it apart to store it. But being somewhat of a cheepskate, I'll probably bolt some hinges on it when they do fail.

I also have memories of playing with a test tube of mercury that a grade school friend had.
It was so cool pouring it from one hand to the other, until we spilled it all over his bedroom carpet.
My friends and I would also take a nickle and prop it against an abandoned freight car that we found in an old gravel pit near our homes.
We then would press a .22 rifle against the nickle and pop a round off. It would turn the nickle into a cool looking thimble.
Where the bullet zinged off to never crossed our feeble minds.
Irregardless of the fond memories, lead poisoning is a serious issue for small children.

I use 2 5gal buckets. one inside of the other. The top one has tons of holes drilled in it. Dump your tumbler out and bounce the buckets a few times. Brass stays in the top one media falls to the bottom one. Works for me.

:s0114::s0114::s0114: Oh the memories of lead and mercury when I was a child:s0114::s0114::s0114: I think we should all be dead right now according to the drs of today.

I like the bucket idea also:s0155:

I tumble my brass using the wet stainless pin method.

For separating, I have the one on the left. Other than being to big it works really, really good. I just wish I would have gotten the smaller of these two.

20675_21045_cm2000_and_cm500_case_separators.jpg

However like all things, YMMV. :gun12:

I tumble my brass using the wet stainless pin method.

For separating, I have the one on the left. Other than being to big it works really, really good. I just wish I would have gotten the smaller of these two.

20675_21045_cm2000_and_cm500_case_separators.jpg

However like all things, YMMV. :gun12:

Problem I always had with these things is you go to dump the brass into a bucket and you spill half of it on the floor. I think you're right, the small one would probably be the easier of the two to handle.

When I first started I just used a sifter over a bucket then I got the small Dillon. Night and day, why did I wait! It was better than a cold beer on a hot day.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top