Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Media preparing to attack NFA trusts

Discussion in 'Legal & Political Archive' started by mancat, Feb 26, 2013.

1. mancat

mancat Kitsap County Well-Known Member

The NY times has become smart to NFA trusts, calling them "gun trusts," labeling them as loopholes, and treating them as the next best way for criminals to get guns, or something like that - I don't even know any more.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/26/us/in-gun-trusts-a-legal-loophole-for-restricted-firearms.html

Notice how the article is framed as if NFA trusts are underhanded ways of eluding background checks. The article conveniently overlooks the fact that NFA trusts are most often coupled to purchases that include intensive background check activity by the ATF.

Does the media want to make it impossible for individuals to own NFA items by eliminating the ability to form NFA trusts?

If they manage to make semi-automatic firearms an NFA item, for example, they may couple this with extensive legal wrangling that would purposefully prevent individuals from creating the NFA trusts necessary to own them. Very crooked.

2. 3MTA3

3MTA3 DMZ between Liberty and Tyranny Behind Enemy Lines Bronze Supporter

You can't be a "straight shooter" without a firearm*...

* or bow and arrow, etc., but you get the point

3. duane black

duane black Washington Well-Known Member

Just saw this today on the news. Just unreal. I believe they are losing, and they know it. ( grasping for straws )

Still need to be there and fight, at every turn.

I was told this weekend by my friendly neighborhood gun salesman that my sheriff will sign off on silencers, I'm a happy man. I really want a rimfire can. Would be so much fun for my kid too. I wish my dad had a can when i was little.

mancat and (deleted member) like this.
  4. mancat

mancat Kitsap County Well-Known Member

I agree. I think when things calm down a bit I'm going for the trust. I want a can for my Sig 522. I now have property I can shoot on, I just don't want to deal with my neighbors complaining.

5. HahnsXD

HahnsXD Battle Ground WA Active Member

It's the media, they have to find any little thing they can to try and scare people.

And FWIW, I bought my first can yesterday and my FFL also said the Clark County Sheriff has no problem signing Form 4s.

6. duane black

duane black Washington Well-Known Member

Awesome stuff man. I would be interested in your experience once its all said and done. I'm also in Clark Co and was told the same thing.

7. Norm0931

Norm0931 Hillsboro, OR Sgt. Sheep Silver Vendor 2016 Volunteer

Mancat, I completely agree, that was shoddy journalism. They pretend like they just give you an NFA item and call it good. Why would it make sense to do the background check twice?

8. James 61

James 61 Clark Co Washington Member

Same here. I'm in Clark County also and would like to hear about your experince. Not anywhere near being ready to buy something like this but am curious to hear how the proccess goes anyways.

9. HahnsXD

HahnsXD Battle Ground WA Active Member

Still gotta wait 6-8 weeks to get the can before the paperwork starts.
    Joe at Crossroads Arms will be walking me through the paperwork and helping as much as possible. I've been buying from him for a few years and can't say enough good things about him.

10. deen_ad

deen_ad Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

And I don't even own a gun that's made to take one! May have to fix that!

11. 8ball

8ball WA Quit talkin' and start chalking!

I was surprised to see that in the NYT. I know trusts don't require a background check or LEO sign off. But do dealers really hand over NFA items without a 4473? I can't find anything which supports the quote below - the 4473 doesn't mention trusts as far as I could see.

12. Norm0931

It's exempted because BATFE runs the BCG when you get your tax stamp.

13. 8ball

8ball WA Quit talkin' and start chalking!

For a trust?

14. kumabear17

kumabear17 Issaquah Active Member

Really? When I pick up my suppressors at Wades isn't that a 4473 I fill out that they then run a background check with. It's been over six months since I picked one up so being old I understand if I'm mixed up, but the sure did some kind of check. They didn't just hand me the suppressor with the stamp and let me leave - oh and I'm up to a 7 month wait this time because Wade's didn't fill the form out correctly -Damn!

15. Norm0931

On the trustees.

16. Burt Gummer

Burt Gummer Portland Completely Out of Ammo

I don't see trusts going away because they are revenue generators for the government. Let's face it, the $200 stamp is for some ridiculous crap like a 12" barrel. But it is money and the gov loves revenue.

Personally, even though I believe it is crazy to have to pay $200 on top of the cost of a suppressor, that is the way it is, and it IS worth it.

17. Norm0931

Just like the Oregon State Police charging $10 to forward your BCG to BATFE. Pointless and only to bloat their budget.