JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Great news, and no matter how this plays out I'm happy to see the liberal lunatic AG put in their place.
That person was elected by the smart voters of Oregon; geez, anybody beginning to think that the smart and majority voters are not so smart nor educated ??? Geez they elect great school board members and agree to increase taxes on programs that can not be accountable for positive outcomes???

I just took the safety course and purchase permit online. I have the certification & purchase permit in my hands. I just printed it out.
The cost was $60
I also donated $30 to OSSA
Total cost was $90. It is done.
I don't like it, but I do buy and sell firearms. Done.

I do have a CHL.
Was there a test for this course? I noticed the course was free but the certificate was $60.

I envy you guys in eastern Oregon, In multnomah county where I live it is currently a 3 month wait to see the sheriff to get your CHL. Now that every citizen has to visit the sheriff to get a firearm permit I can only guess that 3 month wait is now a 6 month wait, possibly much longer just to get the permit. Then once you get the permit you get to enter the background check queu and wait another 30+ days. Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if starting December 8th it takes you a year to acquire a firearm if you live in multnomah county.
I think what may be missed is that your visit to the local sheriff (permit agent) will not at that time get your purchase permit. At the time of your visit to the permit agent info and fingerprints are taken, this all is then forwarded to the FBI for a background check likely thru OSP.

(e) The applicant must submit to fingerprinting and photographing by the permit agent. The permit agent shall fingerprint and photograph the applicant and shall conduct any investigation necessary to determine whether the applicant meets the qualifications described in paragraph (b) of this section. The permit agent shall request the department to conduct a criminal background check, including but not limited to a fingerprint identification, through the Federal Bureau of Investigation.
If all comes back ok then you are issued the "permit to purchase" They have 30 days to complete this from the time you submit your application.
If it takes longer...well who knows...whadda ya gonna do?

so now you have a permit to purchase...but
remember
(c) The dealer may not transfer the firearm unless the dealer receives a unique approval number from the department and, within 48 hours of completing the transfer, the dealer shall notify the state that the transfer to the permit holder was completed.
ya aint got that yet...the permit to purchase does not give you that.
6)(a) A permit-to-purchase issued under this section does not create any right of the permit holder to receive a firearm.
whatever that means, anyway what ya still need to do if you wish to actually purchase a firearm....gasp...another background check
(d) The gun dealer shall, [request] by telephone or computer, verify that the purchaser has a valid permit-to-purchase a firearm issued under section 4 of this 2022 Act and request that the department conduct a criminal history record check on the purchaser and shall provide the following information to the department:
ANd there is no time limit for response to that. This seems like a total clusterF
If i get my golden magical "permit to purchase" involving a complete background check, and 1 day later i go to a FFL to actually purchase a firearm i gotta do another background check. (response time unlimited) geesh louise.

Well I think I am going to do that free class Online with OSSA just so I can have the certificate so that when this whole thing blows over and is deemed unconstitutional and they make that go away I will have a cool Souvenir framed upside down. :D and I can tell my great grand kids ... yup I lived through that crap.

Not free, it's free to take but you pay for the certificate at the end. Ugh

Last Edited:
Well I think I am going to do that free class Online with OSSA just so I can have the certificate so that when this whole thing blows over and is deemed unconstitutional and they make that go away I will have a cool Souvenir framed upside down. :D
Now that Harney County supersedes Ingermutt I was bubbleguming to my wife about the lost $90.

She said almost what you said. At least I can hang it on the wall in remembrance of this CF.

December 7, 2022 - Even though implementation of Measure 114, Oregon's new voter-approved gun law, is on hold for now, Oregon State Police is getting the application process set up now.

Superintendent Terri Davie told a Senate committee Wednesday that the permit-to-purchase application will be live on the OSP website starting Thursday.

The agency has created a web page for the program but on Wednesday the page said, "Website Under Construction."

For now, use of the application to buy a gun is voluntary until Measure 114 is fully put in place.

In a news release, OSP said right now gun sales will continue to be processed under current law.

Measure 114 is currently in legal limbo, as court battles over its future rage.

Now that Harney County supersedes Ingermutt I was bubbleguming to my wife about the lost $90.

She said almost what you said. At least I can hang it on the wall in remembrance of this CF.
I wonder if you'll be able to get your money back since you don't need it. When the law is deemed unconstitutional
Just imagine the amount of refunds the state will have to deal with...

Last Edited:
The test was very easy. They made me read the answers first.
Like many including myself are saying, if there is no value added...what's the purpose? Controlling your access. It's not what they are doing today, it's what they gave themselves the authority to do. When the next big event happens and government doesn't react for hours (like they've done many times in the past), Oregon has given itself the power to say, enough. We have suspended processing permits until further notice. For those nay sayers, how do you stop that?

Like many including myself are saying, if there is no value added...what's the purpose? Controlling your access. It's not what they are doing today, it's what they gave themselves the authority to do. When the next big event happens and government doesn't react for hours (like they've done many times in the past), Oregon has given itself the power to say, enough. We have suspended processing permits until further notice. For those nay sayers, how do you stop that?
114 was so poorly written, I don't think the people who originated it thought it would pass because it will not hold up under legal scrutiny. It was a commie attempt to subdue our rights. I question the vote count. It was a razor thin win; we have seen too much of this lately with mail in ballots.

The test was very easy. They made me read the answers first.
I've been to several Oregon CHL courses and neither had a written test. Having a written test to exercise a protected right under 114 is HUGE. IMO, the requirement to pass a written test is obviously means testing and an easy target for another lawsuit. Doesn't matter if you had seen the answers prior to the test.

For what it's worth, I think we should be thankful the Oregon State Sheriff's Association did such quick work to get that test available. I'm less enamored with the state police, and their appearances with ODOJ. But I feel like the sheriffs are trying to do the public a favor by getting something out there -- and issuing a certificate that purports to comply with an education program that doesn't even really exist -- just in case we all need it. Generally speaking, the OSSA has NOT been supportive of 114. I think they're just trying to help all of us avoid catastrophe in case this thing isn't blown up in court.

For what it's worth, I think we should be thankful the Oregon State Sheriff's Association did such quick work to get that test available. I'm less enamored with the state police, and their appearances with ODOJ. But I feel like the sheriffs are trying to do the public a favor by getting something out there -- and issuing a certificate that purports to comply with an education program that doesn't even really exist -- just in case we all need it. Generally speaking, the OSSA has NOT been supportive of 114. I think they're just trying to help all of us avoid catastrophe in case this thing isn't blown up in court.
AND DONT FORGET FREE!!!,,,,,,,,update, THE COURSE IS FREE BUT THEY CHARGE YA $60 FOR THE CERT....IM BUMMED

Last Edited:
114 was so poorly written, I don't think the people who originated it thought it would pass because it will not hold up under legal scrutiny. It was a commie attempt to subdue our rights. I question the vote count. It was a razor thin win; we have seen too much of this lately with mail in ballots.
I've been on the fence on that since the powers that be were counting on a democrat super majority. So, far reaching ideas really don't matter in that situation. If the liberals control everything, who's going to stop it? I don't care what daddy said. Momma told me I can stay out all night.

The federal court said there's nothing there, but like with a computer, you have to put in the right question. Looks like the state court did. Big shout out to judge Raschio for protecting Oregonian's rights.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top