JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I wonder if someone could make a public records request to the OSP, asking for production of all compiled and maintained lists, spreadsheets, and other summarized information, which identify persons who between X and Y dates, purchased a firearm in Oregon.

When they respond, would be interesting to see if they claim no such information exists, or that any such information is not a public record.
Maybe send this idea to OFF.

Actually, it's perjury on the part of the AG for answering the judge in open court, saying the process will be ready by the 8th.
Grounds for the AG to be disbarred.

The Fed Judge requested all submissions by 12 noon today and she would issue a statement well before the 8th, however, I may have read that the judge would provide a decision sometime tomorrow?

Actually, it's perjury on the part of the AG for answering the judge in open court, saying the process will be ready by the 8th.
I wish that were the case, but in Oregon the rules doesn't apply. Such as implementing a ballot measure as law before the election is certified. The Secretary of State also ignored multiple subject clause for the ballot. If it suits their agenda, it's greenlit all the way up..

The Fed Judge requested all submissions by 12 noon today and she would issue a statement well before the 8th, however, I may have read that the judge would provide a decision sometime tomorrow?
Yes, that was her statement on Friday, that she would rule on Monday or Tuesday. With new stuff over the weekend, and her request for input that is due today, can't do it today, I think. Whether she can read and absorb the new docs by tomorrow remains to be seen.

And, seems likely that the second two suits, (Eyre and Azzopardi) will be assigned to Judge Immergut today, so there's more time to invest; AG said their responses to those complaints are due by 9 pm tomorrow night.

Actually this all moot now, at least in part. The Assistant AG conceded last evening to the Judge that there is no permit system in place and will not be one in place prior to 12/8. Consequently he acknowledged that firearms sales and transfers should continue until there is a permitting class and process in place. He wrote, based on a letter from a retired president of the Oregon Sheriff's Association that a classes and a permitting system could be up and running by February 2023 (course it's Oregon, which does nothing well or fast, so I would not hold my breath). The AG then asked the Judge to not grant the temporary injunction and uphold all other parts of the law. My assumption being his meaning, "uphold the mag ban" among other things.

However, at least into the near future I suspect that firearms sales and transfers in Oregon will continue through the remainder of the year and January , at the bare minimum

We had a thread for the job postings for the permitting process of this, have those positions been filled?

Far as I know of the whole measure isn't 100% until after their 2023 legislation session. - which they obviously counted on to slow walk the entire PTP anyway, they knew as this was designed with intent.

the 2023 LS starts Jan 17 and ends on Jun 24
Or 5 months, 7 days excluding the end date.

Hmm thats an awful long time.....

Unfortunately no. His argument is simply, "we were told by advisers that law enforcement would be ready. That information was in error and we acknowledge this mistake."
We all know it's BS, but burden to prove otherwise would be supremely difficult.
That said, I wish the attorneys on our side asked him in open court on Friday, "oh really? Please detail out how this is going to work."

How it SHOULD WORK, and what the Bill should have clearly spelled out: You fill out your application for Training which should be a regularly scheduled event, say every week day evening, times 2, one earlier class, one later, 5 days a week excepting weekends and FED Holidays! Once you complete your training requirement, you are automatically submitted by the Training Administration Staff to the OSP or it's designated Sheriffs Office ( Which is where you should be anyway, or at one of it's facilities, fully staffed with the proper personal to handle this), who then conduct the prescribed BGC and they MUST Clear you instantly, ideally it would work the same as the INSTANT NICS Check, as in your info is entered and as soon as the enter button is pressed, your check is cleared! After that, you are issued your Permit to Purchase while standing there getting your other paperwork signed and entered into the system as completed, and you are issued your final hard copy license which you must submit to the FFL prior to making your purchase! Ideally, it's a three hour MAX ordeal, same day and you walk as a free man/woman with your 2nd rights un infringed by a bent system!

What would be even better, is the Sheriff's of this state declare this their SOLE territory/Authority ( As it IS a Constitutnal Right) and it's a simple "Rubber Stamp" kinda deal, you show up during business hours, fill out a simple paper, have your photo and prints taken, and the NCIS check done, and you walk with a freshly printed permit to purchase, and the OSP and the State A.G. can eat a bag of sweaty dicks with a big ol heaping side of man-aise!!! All other requirements are moot, and NO data is ever entered into the state database!
Not quite that simple, I'm afraid. You're forgetting the provisions of Section 4 Subsection (1)(b)(C) and Subsection (1)(e) which are in addition to the criminal background check:

SECTION 4.

(1)(b) A person is qualified to be issued a permit-to-purchase under this section if the person:

A) Is not prohibited from purchasing or acquiring a firearm under state or federal law, including but not limited to successfully completing a criminal background check as described under paragraph (e) of this subsection;

(C) Does not present reasonable grounds for a permit agent to conclude that the applicant has been or is reasonably likely to be a danger to self or others, or to the community at large, as a result of the applicant's mental or psychological state or as demonstrated by the applicant's past pattern of behavior involving unlawful violence or threats of unlawful violence;

(e)The permit agent shall fingerprint and photograph the applicant and shall conduct any investigation necessary to determine whether the applicant meets the qualifications described in paragraph (b) of this section.

Thats still troubling, how are they are going determine if you would be a threat to yourself or society at large? (Assuming they need more proof than you were a good boy during the course). I would think they want a social media scan or something akin to it.

Thats still troubling, how are they are going determine if you would be a threat to yourself or society at large? (Assuming they need more proof than you were a good boy during the course). I would think they want a social media scan or something akin to it.
That part has already been struck down in the latest New York Case, so the Judge here will know that and have to use that in her findings!

I would think they want a social media scan or something akin to it.
That would be my guess. We'll have to see what info they want on the application.

That part has already been struck down in the latest New York Case, so the Judge here will know that and have to use that in her findings!
So have magazine bans in other states. But they're still trying to implement them it sounds like.

Yes, that was her statement on Friday, that she would rule on Monday or Tuesday. With new stuff over the weekend, and her request for input that is due today, can't do it today, I think. Whether she can read and absorb the new docs by tomorrow remains to be seen.

And, seems likely that the second two suits, (Eyre and Azzopardi) will be assigned to Judge Immergut today, so there's more time to invest; AG said their responses to those complaints are due by 9 pm tomorrow night.
She does not have anything on the trial schedule today but does have a jury trial starting tomorrow morning at 9am. Friday, during the hearing she said she would be gone the rest of the week. She also said that if anyone wanted to talk to her during that time, it would either be very early or very late.

If the DOJ gets their delay of the permit, the 3-day allowance will not exist and people will have to wait for an approval. It is likely many people still won't make the new deadline in February. So it is a win for the DOJ. They not only get time to put a process in place, they stop all non approved transfers using the 3 day allowance.

Wouldn't be surprising if they ask for disclosure of all social media accounts such as usernames, etc., so they can review them for anything they deem "off". Of course, when do they find the time or staffpower to do that?

Wouldn't be surprising if they ask for disclosure of all social media accounts such as usernames, etc., so they can review them for anything they deem "off". Of course, when do they find the time or staffpower to do that?
What is this? China or an episode of Black Mirror? "Social scores" are a gross overreach. Seems like one could leave that blank due to 4th or 5th amendment considerations. I know I consider it both an unreasonable search and potentially self incriminating, although I don't have much in the way of social media, but still.

On the other hand, I'm not a lawyer and have no intention of participating in the permit process in the first place.

Unfortunately no. His argument is simply, "we were told by advisers that law enforcement would be ready. That information was in error and we acknowledge this mistake."
We all know it's BS, but burden to prove otherwise would be supremely difficult.
That said, I wish the attorneys on our side asked him in open court on Friday, "oh really? Please detail out how this is going to work."
Not really any need to prove perjury. The judge should just cite him for contempt and have him removed from the courtroom and thrown in jail. Having most of the gallery laugh at his assertion because they know it was false would indicate that he should have known it was false also. The judge's power to cite for contempt is probably the closest thing to absolute power in our government. They should use it for controlling asshats like this. Too often "professional courtesy" prevents them from doing their job.

If the DOJ gets their delay of the permit, the 3-day allowance will not exist and people will have to wait for an approval. It is likely many people still won't make the new deadline in February. So it is a win for the DOJ. They not only get time to put a process in place, they stop all non approved transfers using the 3 day allowance.
Yes - it is unlikely that the OSP can process much more than 1-2K of BGCs per day, and for every person that gets taken off the queue, there are probably 2 more that will now take the opportunity to go ahead and get a gun now before February. I think someone said the queue is now 30K 41,160 as of Friday? So I would bet it will still be 30K 40K or more come February - maybe 60K will be processed before then.

Last Edited:
Yes - it is unlikely that the OSP can process much more than 1-2K of BGCs per day, and for every person that gets taken off the queue, there are probably 2 more that will now take the opportunity to go ahead and get a gun now before February. I think someone said the queue is now 30K? So I would bet it will still be 30K or more come February - maybe 60K will be processed before then.
Does anybody know if they're processing non-CHL purchases, or are they only getting the CHL purchases?

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top