JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So, people that applied for a background check prior to 12/8/2022 will have to obtain a permit to pick up their firearm if cleared by OSP (for 28,000 people); does not seem like a plan nor acceptable. So persons law abiding persons will need a permit one way or the other and they will be published for the public. Let's not compromise?
What a deal! Everything else stays in place? Is this the first sign of weakness?

Seems OSP has slowed their speed of processing bgc's over the past couple of days, but can't prove it.

If they don't start cranking out the bgc's this means nothing.

Buy all the guns you want right now.
Dec 8, 114 shuts down the 3-day release option and if OSP won't process the BGC for a month, does this really do anything for potential gun buyers?

Sounds nice, but I still don't trust our state LEaDeRs.

Last Edited:
OSP all but stopped processing bgc's a couple days ago.

114 shuts down the 3-day release option.
If OSP won't process the BGC for a month, does this really do anything for potential gun buyers?

How do you know they all but stopped processing brc's a couple of days ago?

Big if true but awaiting for other confirmation

How do you know they all but stopped processing brc's a couple of days ago?
Article in the Oregonian stated so and others on this board at the very front of the CHL line only moving a few/couple dozen spots over days.

I'll see if I can find the Oregonian article again. It was one line.
I know, I know, bad form relying on the dead fish wrapper for anything truthful or accurate.

OSP all but stopped processing bgc's a couple days ago.

Dec 8, 114 shuts down the 3-day release option and if OSP won't process the BGC for a month, does this really do anything for potential gun buyers?

Agree totally. Not to be trusted at all given the character of legal and constitutional violations and misrepresentations from the multiple sources of 114. Not at all.

All I see there is the State trying to stop the judge from issuing an injunction against the state and postponing arguments against the measure.

I don't see this as much of a "win" and think they should just keep their mouths shut and let the judge rule.

In 2 months we'll be right back to where we are now... and having to ask for an injunction all over again.

I HOPE the judge rejects it and follows through with her ruling this next week, but I'm smart enough to know that probably won't happen.

Article in the Oregonian stated so and others on this board at the very front of the CHL line only moving a few/couple dozen spots over days.

I'll see if I can find the Oregonian article again. It was one line.
I know, I know, bad form relying on the dead fish wrapper for anything truthful or accurate.
I can't find it. I'll edit my post to not spread hearsay.

All I see there is the State trying to stop the judge from issuing an injunction against the state and postponing arguments against the measure.

I don't see this as much of a "win" and think they should just keep their mouths shut and let the judge rule.

In 2 months we'll be right back to where we are now... and having to ask for an injunction all over again.

I HOPE the judge rejects it and follows through with her ruling this next week, but I'm smart enough to know that probably won't happen.
I think DOJ does not want to look officially, on the record, like idiots.

"We have heard from all parties involved in the proposed PTP process, and the experts in their resources and capabilities have documented to us that it is impossible to get this in place by December 8. Despite this, we insist it goes into effect and screw you all."

I think DOJ does not want to look officially, on the record, like idiots.
☝️Exactly my read as well. Better to retreat and delay than take the loss.

I don't know the exact process but hope our side has a say in the matter, refuses the states proposal and requests the judge to rule on the injunction.

They better not!! So if the state takes a year or more to actually announce the rules to get a permit... SAF an FPC are gonna sit on their hands and let the law stay in effect without challenge all that time??? The unconstitutional nature of the measure should be more than sufficient to challenge it instead of waiting around to see just exactly the procedure they will implement to act on the unconstitutional law.

I have to think there might be a miscommunication on their intent. That's not consistent with how most laws are challenged... based on the procedural aspects of an illegal law, I mean.
You were right - They didn't wait!

Just another example of the skewed media picking a "learned scholar" by title to push the narrative. I saw more of that interview and the guys not at all well grounded.

Just in that short blurb, he's saying the permit will likely be upheld as constitutional?? In what world does he live in where a subjective "may issue" permit is not considered an unconstituional infringement.... and in no way supported by text and history. Isn't it in his job description to be aware of the SC Bruen decision that smacked down exactly that type of infringement?

Not that it matters what he thinks, anyway, but that sort of lefty cherry picking to support their narrative always pushes my buttons. If the truth doesn't support your position... adjust the truth... not your position.
Yes, he is lame. I imagine that if a constitutional law professor is not a gun guy, he doesn't really analyze the Heller and Bruen decisions as closely as he should so his analysis of this measure is off-base. He probably knows a lot about first amendment and search and seizure, which seem to have been the predominant cases over the past few decades. He better get to brushing up on the new hot topic though, because the 2d Amendment is currently where the action is.

Seems OSP has slowed their speed of processing bgc's over the past couple of days, but can't prove it.

It's probably just a matter of staffing and processing.

But IF they slowed it? Says a lot more about OSP than it does anything else.

It's a tactic to make them appear cooperative and "fair" as a legal maneuver. If the "A Team" of lawyers hadn't gotten involved her response would be FOAD.

Somebody must have explained to her that outside of the leftist controlled Oregon legal system she had to do more than say "it is what I say it is, peasant".

Of all the things in this legislation the worst is the registration aspect. She is certainly not going to offer delaying that piece.

Update from OFF...

The Attorney General's Head Fake

Late yesterday Oregon's Attorney General sent a request to the Federal Judge in our lawsuit against the implementation of Ballot Measure 114.

In her letter she asked the judge to delay the permit portion of the measure for a short time.

While this was a tacit admission that her chief lawyer (who assured the Judge on Friday that the permit system would be operational by Dec 8th) was, at very best, transparently and comically deceitful, it does little to address the problem.

It is becoming abundantly clear to all that Measure 114 is little more than an overturned outhouse dumped in the laps of law enforcement by the bigots at "Lift Every Voice."

However this request by the criminal protection syndicate that controls Oregon is not even a bandaid on the massive hemorrhaging the state is promoting.

The Attorney General is still demanding that all other elements of this dumpster fire go into effect on the 8th of December

As OFF's lawyer Leonard Williamson has pointed out:

"The AG is mistaken in that Plaintiffs challenging the magazine ban are not affected by their request to postpone implementation of the permit to purchase system. Presently OSP has 34,790 people waiting on the background check list waiting for a firearm, that they have already paid for, to clear the system. Some % of those sales are firearms that included as part of the sale standard capacity magazines (large capacity) e.g., the Glock 19 comes with three 15 round mags). Meaning if the ban on magazines takes effect on 12/8/22, and the permit system is suspended, the gun shop owners can not allow the customer to leave with their standard capacity magazines i.e., an unlawful government taking of property without due process. Second, what the government is saying is that gun dealers may only sell guns with magazines that only hold ten rounds. That is a very small group of firearms."

It is absurd to assume gun dealers are going to remove the standard magazines that come with most modern firearms and dispose of them and hand their customers worthless firearms with no magazines.

And as we have repeatedly (and pointlessly) reminded the ventriloquist dummies in the cartel media, even if the court complies with the AG's request, most shotguns will still be illegal to transfer (or take out of your home assembled if you already own them).

As you know, after the Department of Justice's lead lawyer, Brian Marshall, insisted that a process would be in place to issue permits, the people who are tasked with actually doing it publicly announced that his announcement was purely fiction.

The Oregon Sheriff's Association has made it clear that it is simply impossible to provide the mandated training which is required before a person may even APPLY for the fairy dust "permit." Imagine how much worse it will be for small municipal police agencies.

Furthermore, a delay in the implementation of the arcane and onerous permit system does not address the backlog of over 30 thousand Oregonians who are being denied their rights even now.

What the criminal protection syndicate, and the cartel media, refuse to acknowledge is that if people who are waiting for background check approvals have to wait over 30 days ( a very common reality) an approval does not allow them to take possession of their property. They must start the whole process all over again, complete new forms at the gun store and get back in line. This could put people in an endless "Groundhogs Day" nightmare loop. And that does not even consider the fact that many people are actually moving backwards in the line as persons with concealed handgun licenses are put in the queue ahead of them. And since 114 eliminates the rule allowing for transfers after 3 days if the police don't complete a background check or issue a denial, even that safeguard disappears.

We are eagerly awaiting a decision by the judge, which may come as early as today. But until then we have no illusions that the Attorney General is engaged in anything more than a head fake.

To add to the chaos, the Senate Judiciary Committee has scheduled a hearing on the implementation of 114 for Dec 7 at 8.30 AM. There is no telling what a Democrat controlled legislature will do to make this worse.

You may view this alert in a browser here: http://www.oregonfirearms.org/another-head-fake-from-the-attorney-general

It's a tactic to make them appear cooperative and "fair" as a legal maneuver. If the "A Team" of lawyers hadn't gotten involved her response would be FOAD.

Somebody must have explained to her that outside of the leftist controlled Oregon legal system she had to do more than say "it is what I say it is, peasant".

Of all the things in this legislation the worst is the registration aspect. She is certainly not going to offer delaying that piece.
How I read 114 is that the "people's republic of Oregon centralized database" can't be created and maintained until people have a 2A permission slip. I mean 114 permits:

"(5)(a) The permit agent shall report the issuance of a permit under this section to the department, and shall provide to the department a copy of the permit and any information necessary for the department to maintain an electronic searchable database of all permits issued under this section."

How I read 114 is that the "people's republic of Oregon centralized database" can't be created and maintained until people have a 2A permission slip. I mean 114 permits:

"(5)(a) The permit agent shall report the issuance of a permit under this section to the department, and shall provide to the department a copy of the permit and any information necessary for the department to maintain an electronic searchable database of all permits issued under this section."
I'm sure they will make an exception. They have already been running an illegal registration for decades, they just couldn't lawfully utilize it.

I'm sure they will make an exception. They have already been running an illegal registration for decades, they just couldn't lawfully utilize it.
I wonder if someone could make a public records request to the OSP, asking for production of all compiled and maintained lists, spreadsheets, and other summarized information, which identify persons who between X and Y dates, purchased a firearm in Oregon.

When they respond, would be interesting to see if they claim no such information exists, or that any such information is not a public record.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top