JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The ATF can't do squat to a non-prohibited person obtaining a firearm without a BGC. If I buy a regular firearm from a dealer or private person and they transfer it to me without doing a BGC, I have broke no laws.

This raises a huge question. Many people are taking possesion of firearms that have not yet gotten approval in the NICS system. From the way this reads those checks will not be completed, they are paused and waiting for you to obtain the permit to be completed.

The question is, what happens if somebody takes possession of a firearm with an unfinished check, and has no plans to obtain the permit?
I also have this question.

Gun room quoted. No joke!

And this gem from an OSP Captain: "...Meanwhile, OSP is "working diligently" with local law enforcement agencies to implement the law next week...".

-Must be a secret what their "working diligently" on. Like secret squirrel level secret schnitzel.

Gun room quoted. No joke!

And this gem from an OSP Captain: "...Meanwhile, OSP is "working diligently" with local law enforcement agencies to implement the law next week...".

-Must be a secret what their "working diligently" on. Like secret squirrel level secret schnitzel.
From what I've been able to glean.. the "working diligently" is only on the purchase permit application form that's in final review by the "permit agents" and LE representatives. Whoever the bubblegum the "permit agents" are... your guess is as good as mine. LEVO??

That seems to be as far as it goes though by the 8th. No actual framework to actually process them or any means to satisfy the requirements... that are yet to be determined.

IMHO, nothing but a smokescreen attempt to fool the courts into thinking a system is in place so the state cannot be accused of infringing on the peoples rights to obtain a firearm.

B.S.!!

From what I've been able to glean.. the "working diligently" is only on the purchase permit application form that's in final review by the "permit agents" and LE representatives. Whoever the bubblegum the "permit agents" are... your guess is as good as mine. LEVO??

That seems to be as far as it goes though by the 8th. No actual framework to actually process them or any means to satisfy the requirements... that are yet to be determined.

IMHO, nothing but a smokescreen attempt to fool the courts into thinking a system is in place so the state cannot be accused of infringing on the peoples rights to obtain a firearm.

B.S.!!
I understood permit agents to be the Sheriffs or local LE agencies

The 3 day rule is a feature, not a bug or loophole. It's codified in the law as it now stands. Delivery after 3 business days with no notification of a denial is LEGAL. No repercussions. No knock on the door later. It's legal, done, completed, fini!
The background check will live on in the queue and if it comes back denied, a firearm retrieval could happen.

If you don't have a permit, wouldn't that trigger a denial?
Good question... but... from what OSP put out it sounds like BGC's in progress won't be cancelled, but suspended. As in no further action on them(?) A permit is required to restart the processing but without one... theoretically... they won't be completed and will time out in the system(?) Since there was no determination reached there would be no "denial" either(?)

Theoretically, that would mean a suspended would not require a person to restart the process with a new 4473 application. They would simply restart their existing BGC... or at least that is what OSP is telling the FFL''s... but.... I don't know if I believe any of it.

They may be talking only about the OSP portion and not the NICS portion(?) I don't see how the feds are going to make exception just for OR or somehow suspend them in the NICS system. It seems like that would entail a whole process the system and procedures are not equipped to deal with. It does sound feasible for OSP to just stop processing and sending them out for NICS though.

IMHO though, it's uncharted territory and I don't think we'll truly know... until we "know". 🤣

Last Edited:
I didn't get that impression at all.
(5) "Permit Agent" means a county sheriff or police chief with jurisdiction over the residence of the person making an
application for a permit-to-purchase, or their designees

(b) The permit agent may charge a reasonable fee reflecting the actual cost of the process but shall not exceed $65,
including the cost of fingerprinting, photographing and obtaining a criminal background check.

(C) Does not present reasonable grounds for a permit agent to conclude that the applicant has been or is reasonably likely
to be a danger to self or others, or to the community at large, as a result of the applicant's mental or psychological state or
as demonstrated by the applicant's past pattern of behavior involving unlawful violence or threats of unlawful violence;

(5) "Permit Agent" means a county sheriff or police chief with jurisdiction over the residence of the person making an
application for a permit-to-purchase, or their designees

(b) The permit agent may charge a reasonable fee reflecting the actual cost of the process but shall not exceed $65,
including the cost of fingerprinting, photographing and obtaining a criminal background check.
Thanks

I understood permit agents to be the Sheriffs or local LE agencies
I thought so too, but I find it a little difficult to believe the woketards simply turned over full control of designing the new application form to OSP and other LE officials/agents to do it up all by themselves without having their hands in the cookie jar, too.

That made me wonder if "permit agents" might be more inclusive in that context. They coulda just said "OSP was working with Sheriffs and local LE offices" rather than designating them rather generically as "permit agents"... right(?)

What can I say? I don't trust the a**hats that made this measure happen to suddenly be "hands off" it's implementation. 🤣

(C) Does not present reasonable grounds for a permit agent to conclude that the applicant has been or is reasonably likely
to be a danger to self or others, or to the community at large, as a result of the applicant's mental or psychological state or
as demonstrated by the applicant's past pattern of behavior involving unlawful violence or threats of unlawful violence;
Which makes this a "may issue" scheme. Completely illegal.

Yea, MOSTLY! IF your BGC does come back as a denied at a later date, THEY Absolutely WILL come and take it from you, no Iff's, And's, or But's!!!
It's also been common for Oregon and many other states to NOT allow the 3 day rule, under threat from the ATF!
Law enforcement and government officials make lots of threats that contradict the actual law. That's why we have a court system.

(5) "Permit Agent" means ... or their designees

(C) Does not present reasonable grounds for a permit agent (designee) to conclude that the applicant has been or is reasonably likely

So the designee turns out to be Office Depot or Bi-Mart, and the clerk there doesn't like you or guns. You have a joke about suicide on your Facebook page. Then what? This thing is so ripe for abuse.

So the designee turns out to be Office Depot or Bi-Mart, and the clerk there doesn't like you or guns. You have a joke about suicide on your Facebook page. Then what? This thing is so ripe for abuse.
In ordinary usage, a 'designee' might be a Lieutenant or Sergeant in the department, reporting to the Sheriff or Chief, so the Chiefs and Sheriffs are not the only ones who can issue the permits.

'Ordinary usage' does not entirely rule out non-LE designees, but I would be pretty surprised.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top