JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Does anyone know the meaning of "domestic partner" in ORS 166.435? Does it refer specifically to registered same-sex domestic partnerships? I'm assuming so, but I thought I'd check. I want to give my girlfriend a gun as a gift, so I guess she needs a background check :rolleyes:. After all, it's not like living with her for 3 years is enough to know whether she is fit to own a gun, our legislators know better.

(4) The requirements of subsections (2) and (3) of this section do not apply to:

(a)The transfer of a firearm by or to a law enforcement agency, or by or to a law enforcement officer, private security professional or member of the Armed Forces of the United States, while that person is acting within the scope of official duties.

(b)The transfer of a firearm as part of a firearm turn-in or buyback event, in which a law enforcement agency receives or purchases firearms from members of the public.

(c)The transfer of a firearm to:

(A)A transferor's spouse or domestic partner;

(B)A transferor's parent or stepparent;

(C)A transferor's child or stepchild;

(D)A transferor's sibling;

(E)A transferor's grandparent;

(F)A transferor's grandchild;

(G)A transferor's aunt or uncle;

(H)A transferor's first cousin;

(I)A transferor's niece or nephew; or

(J)The spouse or domestic partner of a person specified in subparagraphs (B) to (I) of this paragraph.​

Who knows.. I imagine when it comes to this law, domestic partner will have the narrowest of definitions. I would imagine if you could legally meet the definition of common law marriage, you may fall under the DP status?? I am in no way a lawyer nor do I like them so take this all with a grain of salt. Good luck with finding the correct answer.

Yes, you have to be a legit, legal domestic partner for this to count. I looked into this before I got married when I realized that my fiancee could no longer legally grab a 22 from the safe and go shooting on her own. Also, no common-law marriage in Oregon, so it didn't matter that we had been living together and sharing a gun safe for 3 years.

Does anyone know the meaning of "domestic partner" in ORS 166.435? Does it refer specifically to registered same-sex domestic partnerships? I'm assuming so, but I thought I'd check. I want to give my girlfriend a gun as a gift, so I guess she needs a background check :rolleyes:. After all, it's not like living with her for 3 years is enough to know whether she is fit to own a gun, our legislators know better.

No, Oregon's Domestic Partner law is a special privilege only for same sex couples. It was originally passed because same sex marriage was not allowed in Oregon. The argument was that gay couples deserve the same legal rights as married people, so the law was created.

Of course, since then, marriage has become legal for same sex couples too. So same sex couples in Oregon now have two options: They can either get married, or legally become domestic partners.

It is a strange situation that now exists in our state. For gay couples now have more rights and options than heterosexual couples in Oregon have.

There is simply no way around this, unless you want to consider changing your sexual orientation.

The law does seem patently unconstitutional to me, as it does discriminate against people based on their sexual orientation. I am a bit suprised that since gay marriage is now legal, that no hetrosexual couple has challenged the domestic partner law in court.

Like everything else the State of Oregon does they probably cannot figure out how to undo the mess they made for themselves and it will take court action to make the Domestic Partnership aw go away..

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top