JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
After the gun range I took the 1st big fork left and kept going a few miles. All the clear cuts with good hills for backstops of course had signs but the last one had no gate no sign, it was still technically part of a clear cut that had a gate about 1/2 mile back though. It's sign was laying on the dirt BTW.
People had been shooting there a lot although it was not real trashed, just a lot of brass and shotgun shells, A real choice spot.
QUESTION, I know I was breaking the rules because of the other sign but felt WTF, I clean up and respect the area and I like how it was safe and all.
What can they do to me? Is it a misdemeanor? Can I lose my gun rights? Has anybody been charged/warned? I'm driving an economy car now so places like this are my only option till I get a truck. Other than the Range of course!

My problem with a range is I like to shoot in different positions, prone kneeling, using cover etc.. Also multiple targets/quick acquisition type of stuff. I mean I'm training for SHTF end of the world stuff man LOL! Seriously though I like the variety that you get when shooting in the woods. Ranges are O.K. for dialing in your scope regular practice and convenience though.

My problem with a range is I like to shoot in different positions, prone kneeling, using cover etc.. Also multiple targets/quick acquisition type of stuff. I mean I'm training for SHTF end of the world stuff man LOL! Seriously though I like the variety that you get when shooting in the woods. Ranges are O.K. for dialing in your scope regular practice and convenience though.

You can do all of that at Izaak Walton. The range up McGowen is absolutely horrible. I wouldn't pee on that place to put out a fire.

There is no staff, long lines or big crowds out there. With very few exceptions, my guests and I are usually the only people on the premises when I go.

I'll have to check it out sometime, One of my many bosses is a member and I hear he likes it.
Still wondering what happens if you get caught shooting in one of these areas.

Many years ago, Our sportsmen's club (no longer exists), cleaned up McGowen Cr. shooting areas. We took seven pickup loads (with sideboards) of shooters trash out of that area in an effort to clean it up. I haven't been there in years and it's sad that you're saying it is closed and gated. We have no one but ourselves to blame. I would believe that dis-obeying the posted signs would get you into trouble. Much of the land up there is private or open range BLM. Even when we cleaned up the area, we were told that cattle were being shot.

Sad!

Shooters should visit Emerald Empire Gun Club and request more programs and facilities for current trends in shooting. Their range is laid out in more of known distance configurations. Short range shooting bays would be hard to fit in anywhere without major changes. But if enough enthusiastic requests are made....

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top