JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Oh, whooppeeeee!!!!!!

:s0154::s0054:

Geez, for some reason, McGinn's office didn't send me the press release announcing this event. Sakes alive!

McGinn sets media event on gun free zones; SAF files writ in D.C. case

Seattle Mayor Mike McGinn will hold a press event this morning at 11:15 to “make an announcement regarding gun safety,” according to a press release that was not posted on the mayor’s website or the city’s, but apparently is connected with a list of “gun free” businesses now posted on the Washington Ceasefire website.

<broken link removed>

Great, more businesses to avoid.

Dave, I noticed you repeated John Lotts claim that the Aurora shooter chose the cinema based on a no guns policy. The analysis on his blog is flawed in two respects. He used the ZIP code, not the full address to determine the distance, and he didn't take into account that the closer theaters were a Latino theatre and one other smaller theater that wouldn't have been doing midnight showings of a Batman film.

Great, more businesses to avoid.

Dave, I noticed you repeated John Lotts claim that the Aurora shooter chose the cinema based on a no guns policy. The analysis on his blog is flawed in two respects. He used the ZIP code, not the full address to determine the distance, and he didn't take into account that the closer theaters were a Latino theatre and one other smaller theater that wouldn't have been doing midnight showings of a Batman film.

I did? Where in that column was that?

if you are alluding to the Seattle Times piece, I told Thompson about the Lott piece and suggested she give it a look see.

In the Lott column, for everyone's edification, here's what he wrote:

A simple web search and some telephone calls reveal how easily one can find out how Cinemark compared to other movie theaters. According to mapquest.com and movies.com, there were seven movie theaters showing "The Dark Knight Rises" on July 20th within 20 minutes of the killer's apartment at 1690 Paris St, Aurora, Colorado. At 4 miles and an 8-minute car ride, the Cinemark's Century Theater wasn't the closest. Another theater was only 1.2 miles (3 minutes) away.

There was also a theater just slightly further away, 10 minutes. It is the "home of Colorado's largest auditorium," according to their movie hotline greeting message. The potentially huge audience ought to have been attractive to someone trying to kill as many people as possible. Four other theaters were 18 minutes, two at 19 minutes, and 20 minutes away. But all of those theaters allowed permitted concealed handguns.

A little math suggests that even if the "analysis" to which 8ball alludes is correct, that analysis points to two theaters and Lott mentions seven theaters.

ADDENDUM:

Bloomberg, McGinn anti-gun efforts have serious flaws

Today's Washington Post "Fact Checker" is taking a hard swipe at New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg's independent PAC advertising against Virginia gubernatorial candidate Ken Cuccinelli on the gun issue, and today's Seattle Times piece on Mayor Mike McGinn and his "gun free" business effort reveals that supporters admit the signs "won't stop a determined killer."

<broken link removed>

Is he still trying to convince people that these businesses can make it a crime to carry by making their intentions known, thereby making it tresspassing without an official notice that you are not welcome?

I love that he thinks he can just reinterpret years of law and precedence and change how things are done. This guy is a tool that needs to go. Too bad the challanger probably won't be much better.

Is he still trying to convince people that these businesses can make it a crime to carry by making their intentions known, thereby making it tresspassing without an official notice that you are not welcome?

I love that he thinks he can just reinterpret years of law and precedence and change how things are done. This guy is a tool that needs to go. Too bad the challanger probably won't be much better.

Murray might be even worse as a sponsor of the AWB bill that (originally) allowed warrantless searches.

The positive thing about McGinn is that he fails to accomplish much.

A little math suggests that even if the "analysis" to which 8ball alludes is correct, that analysis points to two theaters and Lott mentions seven theaters.

Yes, I was referring to the Seattle Times article, which links to Lotts blog post.

Lotts lists seven theaters on his blog post (John Lott's Website: So are movie theaters near where the Aurora, Colorado killer lived posted to prevent concealed carry?) but only two of the seven are closer than the scene of the crime (which is a 4.3 mile drive from Holme's apartment), so they aren't relevant to his theory. Lott's distances are incorrect, perhaps because he used the ZIP code only or didn't look at the actual driving distances.

The two closer theaters are Cinema Latino (" We exhibit first run movies from Hollywood and Latin America, dubbed/subtitled in Spanish, then give it a Latin sabor by adding Latin music, concession products, and other aesthetic elements to provide a unique entertainment experience entirely en español."). I doubt an English speaking person would typically attend a cinema which is dubbed in Spanish, and they don't appear to have midnight showings.

Cinema Grill is closer but it's a second run single screen budget theater that serves meals. It doesn't have midnight showings, and Lott himself confirmed in the article that Cinema Grill wasn't showing Dark Knight til a month later.

So his theory that Holmes picked the multiplex because of the gun policy *could* be correct, but the data presented certainly doesn't fit that theory. It could also be that Holmes just went to the nearest multiplex with a midnight showing of Dark Knight.

I'm a bit surprised given Lott is supposedly such a smart guy that he can't see that. Unfortunately because of his post this claim is repeated endlessly on gun forums, which is bad for us, because it's not as clear as Lott claimed.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top