JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Mayor McGinn thinks that the city has some sort of legal authority to prohibit private sales at any future "buybacks" held within the city.

What authority does the city have to prevent such a thing? As far as I know, they have none. Not without possibly choosing a creative venue for the event to take place, such as a place where guns are already not allowed - maybe a school? The city could enact some sort of temporary exemption for only those participating in the buyback, which would be legally suspect in itself - but then, how do they stop private sales outside the venue?

I see no way that he can do this legally by WA state law.

Seattle Mayor Mike McGinn: No more sidewalk gun sales - Local - MyNorthwest.com

My guess is they will try to interpret their authority to regulate commerce on City streets & sidewalks as a means to prevent these sales. Then, it won't be about what's sold, but that something is being sold. Will the courts agree with this? We'll see.

Mayor McGinn thinks that the city has some sort of legal authority to prohibit private sales at any future "buybacks" held within the city.

What authority does the city have to prevent such a thing? As far as I know, they have none. Not without possibly choosing a creative venue for the event to take place, such as a place where guns are already not allowed - maybe a school? The city could enact some sort of temporary exemption for only those participating in the buyback, which would be legally suspect in itself - but then, how do they stop private sales outside the venue?

I see no way that he can do this legally by WA state law.

Seattle Mayor Mike McGinn: No more sidewalk gun sales - Local - MyNorthwest.com

I don't know this for a fact but it's pretty safe to say the publicity that the Seattle Buy program got was not favorable. The fact that the Seattle buy back was coined a gun show in the media made him look bad (which I'm ok with by the way). Not to mention all of the guns and hardware he and his cronies missed out on. It's not surprising tha he is pitching a fit. The next buy back he'll probably authorize the Seattle PD to write tickets and confiscate the merchandise. He might use the street vendor liscensing to justify his decision. I'm guessing he will say something like "the buyer/seller were not lisenced to buy/sell within the city limits.

Just guessing.

They can and will do whatever they want. The law means whatever they want it to mean for purposes of convenience. Wait and see. My dad was right about a lot of things, one being, " You can't fight City Hall. "

He might use the street vendor liscensing to justify his decision. I'm guessing he will say something like "the buyer/seller were not lisenced to buy/sell within the city limits.

Just guessing.

A random meeting of two individuals on a street with an offer from one person to buy the possession of the other person does not a vendor make. If this were true then anyone selling their motor vehicle via a private sale, a garage/yard/rummage sale, and EVERYONE in the classifieds within city limits selling their crap would need a business/vendors license. Also, since when did a "license to buy" (anything) become a requirement (anywhere)?

I'm not even a lawyer and I could slam dunk this in a courtroom.

So why don't those individual's who do go and wait outside and head off the sales all get together and collectively do a buy back of there own. Get the proper permits and secure a site and advertise there own buyback. absolutely nothing illegal about having a flea market of our own so to speak.

A random meeting of two individuals on a street with an offer from one person to buy the possession of the other person does not a vendor make. If this were true then anyone selling their motor vehicle via a private sale, a garage/yard/rummage sale, and EVERYONE in the classifieds within city limits selling their crap would need a business/vendors license. Also, since when did a "license to buy" (anything) become a requirement (anywhere)?

I'm not even a lawyer and I could slam dunk this in a courtroom.

You are most likely right and I wasn't trying to indicate that I was right. I was only implying that Mayor McGinn would come up with something creative to enforce and/or interfere with folks making Face to Face purchases.

They can and will do whatever they want. The law means whatever they want it to mean for purposes of convenience. Wait and see. My dad was right about a lot of things, one being, " You can't fight City Hall. "

you can and win but it is very expensive.

So why don't those individual's who do go and wait outside and head off the sales all get together and collectively do a buy back of there own. Get the proper permits and secure a site and advertise there own buyback. absolutely nothing illegal about having a flea market of our own so to speak.

your kidding right:s0140: do you really think they will issue such a thing for that time frame

You are most likely right and I wasn't trying to indicate that I was right. I was only implying that Mayor McGinn would come up with something creative to enforce and/or interfere with folks making Face to Face purchases.

probably just threatening arrest if they do any buy backs to intimidate people

And then you could sue him in Federal court for violating your civil rights "under the color of law".

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top