JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I absolutely believe the kid's dad bares some of the responsibility for the crime committed by his child using his firearms.

You don't?
As a gun owner, with a conscience, I realize the need to secure owned firearms from unauthorized access, period. It's just common sense.

Listen we lock up our vehicles so they are protected from unauthorized use, we lock up our homes to protect them from unauthorized use, it's along the same train of thought.

Furthermore, if a firearm is obtained from its secure location, without the owners authorization, I don't believe said owner has any responsibility in its misuse. No more than they would for a stolen car...

Just my random, Uncaffeinated thoughts...

How's this for a thought? Steal a firearm and spend 10 years in the slammer w/ no parole or time off for good behavior. If it's in my house or my vehicle it should already be considered secure.

And, yes, I have and use a safe and have a pistol vault in my vehicle.

People stop at Stop signs, even though there isn't a cop sitting at every intersection 24/7. That's how laws work.

Do you think the Santa Fe shooter's dad should have securely stored his firearms and ammunition?

LOL! You don't live in Seattle, do you? Stop signs are merely a decoration on intersections. Though this further proves the futility of more laws that good people won't break, and bad people won't bother following.

LOL! You don't live in Seattle, do you? Stop signs are merely a decoration on intersections. Though this further proves the futility of more laws that good people won't break, and bad people won't bother following.
Cute deflection, but people do obey traffic signs and signals all across the country.

Are you asking if there is a difference in parental responsibility when it comes to a 5-yr old vs a teenager?
You already said there is no parental responsibility for a teenager. It sounds like you do think there is some parental responsibility for a 5 year old.

It's illegal for both a 5 year old and a 15 year old to possess a firearm without parental supervision. Did you know that?

You already said there is no parental responsibility for a teenager. It sounds like you do think there is some parental responsibility for a 5 year old.

It's illegal for both a 5 year old and a 15 year old to possess a firearm without parental supervision. Did you know that?
Yes. I am somewhat educated. Also I am aware it is not illegal for a 15 yr old to possess a firearm without parental supervision. It is illegal for them to purchase one. If it was illegal for a 15 yr old to possess, the I guess my grandson's mom needs to stand guard in his room while his .22 is stuffed under his bed. Perhaps she is a felon unawarez?

I've had firearms in my possession since I was 8yrs old. For 20+ years my kids never messed with a rifle or shotgun in my closet. In all those years no problems.

So if some kid steals a gun and does something bad, how is it the parents fault?

But then again, we live in a world where everyone wants to control everything and pontificate on the intewebs how someone like me in Oregon should alter my behavior and give up my rights because of some demonic moron 2000 miles away.

To those who want more rules/laws....sure, make them for yourself and apply them. Just MYOB because I can manage me and mine just fine thank you.

Pls excuse grammar...typing on my phone.

Last Edited:
How do you propose this law be enforced?
The same way we enforce every other law. The police catch you committing a crime, you get charged with a crime.

Seatbelt laws work because of the risk of getting a ticket. Not because there is a traffic cop in every driveway checking to make sure everyone buckles up.

This isn't rocket science.

Seatbelts on or off is something which can be noticed because it is in open public. How do you propose enforcing safe laws within the confines of a residence where entry by law enforcement can only be obtaineds with reasonable suspicion, probable cause, or a warrant issued by a judge?

The same way we enforce every other law. The police catch you committing a crime, you get charged with a crime.

Seatbelt laws work because of the risk of getting a ticket. Not because there is a traffic cop in every driveway checking to make sure everyone buckles up.

This isn't rocket science.
So you think that parent should be charged with a crime after they lose their kid when the kid got to a gun and shot themself?

What's wrong with securely storing firearms?

The Santa Fe shooter's dad thought it was hunky dory leaving firearms and ammunition in a closet.

And you think that someone who wants to commit violence can't plan accordingly to commit violence regardless of locking up firearms?

There are millions more guns not used in crimes every year than there are ones used in crimes, and there are millions of children who get angry and don't murder others in immature evil tantrums and deal with their anger in healthier ways. Parenting can go a long way. We are seeing the problem manifesting of a lot of bubblegumty parenting hitting adolescence and the media glorifying everyone to guranteee this will continue to happen from people who want their 15 minutes of fame.

o_O

There are those that think a LAW will be Obeyed because it is written or in plan site (sign) are called LIBERALS. No one that I know is perfect. (including me) I think I'm right that the saying SH!T HAPPENS started in Seattle. There is a big difference between a 5 and 15 year old. The 15 year old is suppose to know better. Yes, guns should be stored properly with young children. Everyone knows that when a kid turns 12 they know everything. But do some really stupid things that they are sorry forever for. A lot of young people are being raised with no rules or respect for anything or body. Just look at how they act in public. You think that lot of them are going to fallow the LAWS?

In the State of Oregon a child at age 12 (or 11 if they becomes 12 during the hunting season) can pack a 30-06 or other such Big Game legal rifle all over hell and back while hunting.

Hello oneharmonic, thank you for joining the discussion.

When we were teenagers in the 1980's, we had shotguns in the window rack of our pick-up trucks for dove hunting after high school. Guns stored in plain view at the school parking lot and nothing bad ever happened.

While I trust my teenagers with access to firearms, I do not trust their friends, which is why our guns are locked up when not in use. However, I do not think that a storage law should be imposed on those firearm owners who live without kids or prohibited persons. A locked door is sufficient for your car keys on the hook, beer in the fridge, prescriptions in the medicine cabinet or tools in the garage. The owner should NOT be held liable for a criminal breaking the law.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top