JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I understand the sentiment, and this morning I concealed my biggest gun for church services.

But any sign on the door at all concerning guns is making a statement not only to bad folks, but to all folks. And some people would see a sign like that as repulsive.

Jesus loves anti-gunners, too. Jesus would not want any sign on a church door that would serve to repel anybody.

I saw a sign on a Catholic church in close-in Portland that had a huge banner on which it said: "All immigrants and refugees are welcome here!" (A sign that screams to me, as a patriotic conservative, that only leftists are welcome at that church) It is a political statement that has no more place on a church as would a sign that exclaims lots of armed folks go here.

God's people need to reach our hands out to all people, not just to people we agree with.

I don't mind open carrying in a church. What I mind is a sign that may cause people to think they aren't welcome there.

On the other hand, I feel a Christian shouldn't be bothered by the sign and still be able to attend. Especially since said sign doesn't say people of certain political beliefs aren't welcome.

I think that the sign and the action may be off putting to some folks.

I do think that a more low key approach of letting the parishioners know that conceal carry is welcome might be a better choice....
That said I do not go to that church and far be it from me to make a choice or decision for someone else...especially if I really do not know the set of circumstances...
Andy

No offense taken Sheldon....
I just don't care for such in your face signs and or actions... ( most of the time )

As I said in my post:
Far be it from me to make a choice or decision for someone else , especially if I really do not know the set of circumstances.
Andy

@Sstrand I, too, am tired of being told what I can and cannot say...In the public sphere, in the world of politics. But in the Church, by that I mean all people who are called by His name and who call Him their Lord, it is very important to be as inviting as possible.

@Boboclown The point is not that the sign may push away Christians. It is that the sign may push away people who have not yet made a decision for Christ.

No, that was Teddy Roosevelt. Jesus said to sell your cloak to buy a sword. He would support us carrying guns in church and out in the world, no doubt. But this thread has nothing to do with that, just with the wisdom of posting certain signs...

Maybe I'm misunderstanding your point?

No, that was Teddy Roosevelt. Jesus said to sell your cloak to buy a sword. He would support us carrying guns in church and out in the world, no doubt. But this thread has nothing to do with that, just with the wisdom of posting certain signs...

If I remember my Sunday school lessons correctly the Greek word used for that "sword" was specific to a short defensive weapon.

AS to the advertising as a deterrent, I would think it would open them up for protesting and comments about "those horrible, gun toting, backwards, brainless" Christians.

Sorry I'm not great at conveying myself at times. No offense is meant.

Christians ought to be humble and accepting. Posting exclusionary signs just doesn't seem real christ like and I can see people being turned off by such.
My opinion only. If you feel the need, go for it. If not then don't.

Still convoluted, I know. That's all I've got.

Well as an agnostic man, I can personally understand why any group would post a sign that actively pushes the fact that it is not a gun free zone. Would I post that sign? Probably not, I would let it known that 'this place was not a gun free zone, especially in a state that may try to prohibit parishioners from going armed.
I can't speak to Christians views on pacifism but I do appreciate that most early Americans were strident Christians, patriots and willing to kill for their loved ones. The last 50 years or so we have been lead to believe otherwise. And in all walks of life..

Wow. I REALLY did not want this to turn in to a discussion of religious theology. PLEASE, all I asked is if you thought it would keep the crazies away if a church posted a sign like this. For f***k's sake, it's a yes or no question people!

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews