Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

May or may not be a concern for my p226?

Discussion in 'Handgun Discussion' started by leeaj206, Oct 13, 2010.

1. leeaj206

leeaj206 Seattle, WA New Member

Hey everyone!
    Wow, it's been a while since I've posted as all of my FAQs are answered before I ask them haha. But anyways, I have a P226 and I noticed the top flat part of my barrel is starting to turn silver. Is this a common occurrence? Should I have any concern with the wear? My slide seems to be unaffected and I would hope it would continue to be that way.

Btw, I clean/lube my gun after every use with CLR.

Thanks!

2. spengo

spengo GLORIOUS CASCADIA Active Member

the top flat part on both my sigs came silver from the factory. I've never seen a sig where the top flat part was black like the sides.

BTW I believe it is called the "locking lug." :p

3. magnum

magnum Springfield American....'nuff said

If the "barrel hood" was originally blue, as you shoot your gun, the bluing will wear off the top of the barrel hood/chamber. I have several semi autos that have blued barrels and all of them have wear on top of the barrel. It's not a big deal at all. If you don't like it, get some bluing paste from bimart and touch it up.

4. spengo

On a sig the barrel hood also functions as the locking lug. It is a little different from the original browning design. Notice: no locking lugs in the usual place.

Anyway... as far as I know, all sigs come from the factory with some kind of black finish on the entire barrel except the top of the locking lug/barrel hood which is left silver.

5. leeaj206

leeaj206 Seattle, WA New Member

Thanks spengo and mag for the clarification on the locking lug. Also, I guess I was that oblivious to it being originally silver...hmmm i could have sworn it was black haha.

I appreciate you both taking the time to explain!

6. spengo

There might be a black one somewhere, but all the sigs I've seen around have a barrel hood/locking lug that looks like this