JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Will you be there?

• Total voters
Reactions
Check back to this first post for any changes or updates prior to this event.

Sat May 2nd, 2015, 8 am to 2+ pm

13th Annual "Pick Up the Burn" Clean up Event!

"Partnering to preserve our recreational target shooting rights"

Join us, along with +/- 100 other volunteers, as we team up in Yacolt Burn State Forest with Washington State Department of Natural Resources and a variety of other recreation groups including; hiking, biking, equestrian, and motorized; to help improve the Yacolt Burn State Forest! All in one action packed day!

Be there for the Coffee, Donuts, Safety Briefing, Music and Sign-in at 8 am!
NWFA members; please also sign-in at our NWFA Target Shooter Information Booth!​

parking-lot-jpg.84684-2.jpg

Map Link: Meeting place; Jones Creek Trail Head, Clark County, WA.
GPS:
45°39'59.9"N 122°18'39.2"W

Directions:

From northbound or southbound I-5, take I-205 exit toward Vancouver, WA. Use Highway 500 East (Exit 30-Orchards Exit). Go east on Highway 500 to Fourth Plain (1st light) and turn right continuing on Highway 500 East (Camas). Go 6.3 miles, then turn left on 53rd Street. Go 3.2 miles, and turn left on Ireland Road. Go 0.3 miles and turn left on Lessard Road. Continue on Lessard Road (turns into Boulder Rd.) for 4 miles. Veer left at the fork, and proceed toward the parking lot/staging area.

Volunteer activities: We will be;​
  • Picking up litter
  • Performing general maintenance
  • Making campground improvements
  • Being a 2nd Amendment Representative from Northwest Firearms
Need to bring: Water, Gloves, Jeans, Work boots, a Rake is helpful and a big smile!

Who: Open to all NWFA members, General public, Family & friends. Work is available for all ages & skill levels. Children under age 18 must be accompanied by a parent or guardian.
LUNCH: Appreciation lunch & raffle begins at 2 p.m. at the Jones Creek Trailhead. Many of you donated towards helping with the Lunch Money fund. And we Thank you! Now, come enjoy the Barbeque!

bbq at pub1.jpg

Benefits: (associated with this event)

NWFA will hold our own private prize drawings at lunch time, at our Information Booth. Prizes include; A Do-All Targets target tree (includes 333 rounds of 22 ammo), Sphere Self Healing Targets, Gift Certificates for Free Meat, A big box of Ammo, and NWFA Tee Shirts. All NWFA volunteers receive official 2015 'Volunteer' status under your username on Northwest Firearms, and the best benefit; a sense of Pride & Ownership in our public forest!
WA DNR will also hold a public drawing for special prizes!​
Special thanks to our NWFA contributing businesses for helping with this event!
We really appreciate your support for our efforts!

sportsmans-warehouse-mainlogo1.png ...... Cabela's Logo 2.png ...... butcherboys2.jpg ...... tactical-ammunition3-jpg-213716-jpg.221696.jpg

We will also have our NWFA Target Shooter Information Program booth set up at this meeting location and in action! We'll be handing out rules from the Dept of Natural Resources, tips & ethics from NWFA, offer free ear plugs and free legal targets to shoot at. We are here to help, inform and enhance the target shooting experience.
Please help us count attendance and VOTE in the VOTE BOX above!
As with all clean up events; No open display of firearms while on Forestry Volunteer time.
If you plan to stay and shoot after your volunteer time, be sure to bring ear and eye protection, appropriate legal targets, a tarp to catch your spent casings, a rope or caution tape to establish a shooting line and something with a trigger!

Contact: Cogs, post here or Jason Lenz, DNR Recreation Staff, 360-356-0535, [email protected]

I will update this main post as and when needed.

Cogs

Attachments

• PUB_2015_flyer_final.pdf
    689.5 KB · Views: 282
Last Edited:
And here we go again! It's important we make a good showing at this one. All the other outdoor recreation groups will be well represented and I hope we are as well. They all are excited to have us be part of the Trail Advisory Group and they hope we can help make a difference in addressing the concerns of target shooting on public land.

This one is just plain fun. Lots of good folks and it's great to be part of such a big effort. Hope to see you there

So far, in 2015, we've done clean up's in Tillamook State Forest (March), Mt Hood Nat Forest (April) and next is in Washington Yacolt Burn State Forest (May 2nd).

We've opened and operated our Target Shooter Information Program since Feb, and are continuing that in Mt Hood Nat Forest in an on-going basis, (hoping to have enough volunteers to be able to run that program every weekend, as well as, in other forests).

A few of our members contributed to the April 18th SOLVE Earth Day clean up at Browns Camp on Tillamook State Forest and we were named, by Oregon Dept of Forestry, as contributors to the efforts.

Yes, we're doing something! Support is growing and encouraging. Bigger business are sitting up and taking notice of our efforts. They're teaming up with us in hopes of encouraging more to join in. Sportsman's Warehouse, Cabela's, Tactical Ammuntion and Butcher Boys Meats... Thank you!

Hope you can join us in being positive 2 A Reps when you can!

Cogs

So why should you get involved with this? It's more than just picking up trash at a shooting site. It's about stewardship, responsibility, respect, teaching by example, preserving our inherited right to shoot outdoors, being a 2nd Amendment representative, and because it's the right thing to do!

I'm proud of the fact that our members from NWFA care enough to help in our efforts to protect shooting on public land (whether hunting or target shooting). When we show up at these events, it says a lot about our character and it reflects on us as responsible gun owners. (Especially when there's so many other groups represented there. Some of them need to see our concern and effort).

Thanks, All!

Bill

How about a box of trash bags to hand out to people that stop at info booth and a collection site for those that bring back a bag of trash, maybe a token gift like a sticker or gun towel for those that bring a bag of trashfrom shooting area. Maybe forest service would flip the bill for a garbage dumpster.

How about a box of trash bags to hand out to people that stop at info booth and a collection site for those that bring back a bag of trash, maybe a token gift like a sticker or gun towel for those that bring a bag of trashfrom shooting area. Maybe forest service would flip the bill for a garbage dumpster.

That's a great idea! We already hand out the trash bags, however, that's taking it one step better! This clean up will have a big dumpster there in the meeting parking lot, however, I think we should give this a little planning and do it for the Mt Hood booth program and others that we start.

Good thinking!

What a good heart you have, shotsfired! But HOLD THE GOODS! We have all that stuff already. The Trail Advisory Group, (that's all the hikers, bikers, 4x4's and all), have arranged for all that.

So, all we need is you and the jokes! :D

Glad to have you joining up with such great spirit!

Here's our giveaway prizes (no cost for giveaway tickets, you'll receive a ticket when you sign in at the event)....

One lucky volunteer will win this! Includes 333 Rounds 22 Hollow Point, from Sportsman's Warehouse.
Do-All Targets - The .22/.17 Steel Round Up is the ideal target for those who would like to shoot by themselves or create a competitive challenge by trying to reset your targets quicker than your friends. The eight targets swing right-to-left or left-to-right and are automatically snapped back into position at impact by a spring-loaded mechanism. Spring tension is adjustable to ensure a flawless reset every shot. This target will handle .22 shorts, long rifle, or magnums as well as the hot new .17 HMR from short or long distances. And, the thick 8mm steel targets are positioned with a forward angle that directs bullet splash into the ground for your safety. Four ground spikes are included for stability.
Do All Steel Target 2.jpg

One lucky volunteer will win a package of 3 Cabela's Ground Pounder Self-Healing Targets
  • Self sealing upon impact
  • Fly, bounce, roll and run when hit
  • Handle 1,000+ rounds
  • Durable, long-lasting targets

These types of targets were originally designed for military, law enforcement and fast-action pistol training. Flying, bouncing, rolling and running every time they're hit, their unpredictability challenges shooters to locate them and readjust for every shot. Self sealing upon impact, these durable, long-lasting targets can handle 1,000+ rounds for hours of fun and training. Best results when using centerfire cartridges.
Prize includes one of each:
  • Pyramid — 5-1/4"L x 6"W x 5-1/4"H
  • Box — 5-1/4"L x 5-1/4"W x 5-1/4"H
  • Sphere — 5-1/2"Dia.
Sphere Self Healing Targets Round small 2.jpg

1 Lucky volunteer will receive a Big Box of Ammo from Tactical Ammunition! Two 20ct boxes of .308, .223, or .243, or, two 50ct boxes of .45 auto, or .40 s&w. (Might be able to do 9mm).
tactical-ammunition3.jpg

3 Lucky volunteers will win $10 Gift Cards for Free Meat at Butcher Boys Meats in Vancouver!
butcherboys2.jpg

3 Lucky volunteers will win Northwest Firearms T-Shirts!
NWFA T-Shirt 2.jpg

ALL NWFA VOLUNTEERS RECEIVE official 2015 'Volunteer' status under your username on Northwest Firearms!

ALL NWFA VOLUNTEERS RECEIVE a sense of pride and ownership in knowing they did a good thing and helped forward the cause of keeping public lands open to recreational target shooting!

Thank you for being a positive 2 A Rep for Northwest Firearms!

Cogs

NW shooters are stewards while antis are sore losers

Second Amendment activists all over the map could take a lesson from Northwest Firearms forum members who are calling for a big turnout this Saturday in Southwest Washington for the 13th annual "Pick Up the Burn" trash cleanup and maintenance event in the Yacolt Burn State Forest.

<broken link removed>

Just edited this info in the above post.

Added..."Two 20ct boxes of .308, .223, or .243, or, two 50ct boxes of .45 auto, or .40 s&w. (Might be able to do 9mm)."

1 Lucky volunteer will receive a Big Box of Ammo from Tactical Ammunition! Two 20ct boxes of .308, .223, or .243, or, two 50ct boxes of .45 auto, or .40 s&w. (Might be able to do 9mm).
View attachment 235909

Sick as a dog tonight. My children gave me something. I'm looking forward to being there tomorrow, I really hope I can. This would've been my first event to meet you guys. I really hope it works out.

If my darn back stops the spasms that started at work early this morning, and are still with me this Friday evening, then I'll be heading up the gorge Saturday afternoon to my favorite shooting site and pick up trash there as I usually do, due to the fact that the irresponsible slobs are everywhere it seems. Most of it is recyclable with very little going into my garbage can. And of course I'll enjoy some shooting too. Happy trash collecting to those of you heading up to the "burn" and good shooting too!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top