JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've got enough toys that I've run out of room in my safes. I have a smaller Rhino Metals safe and a Fatboy Jr.

What do you folks recommend to do to maximize how many firearms you can get in a safe without spending an arm and a leg?

It's mostly rifles of the AR/AK flavor which are not sleek shaped and easy to stack.

Suggestions?

Alternate the rifles so that one is buttstock down, another muzzle down. Be sure to put something underneath the muzzle so it is not touching the safe liner. I use plastic bottle caps. There will be a spot or two in the middle where you can place a rifle, muzzle down.
Unfortunately it makes removal of rifles a tedious chore.
Doing this, I used to stuff 13 long guns and 4 pistols in a "12 gun safe". Had to remove the glass on two rifles to make it work.
Gave that safe away, bought TWO more, double the size, and now both are overflowing.
Safe's are like vacuums for firearms. Safe's abhor a vacuum and whisper to you in your dreams, "there's more space, get another!"

Rifle rods or socks is really the only way. I got the space so just got a 3rd safe. One is a cheapie thats got most of the lower value non sentimental firearms in it like 10/22's and such.

One mod I've seen, heck, might even have done before the boating accident.
opens up several shelves and nicer display imo.
you could do similar with carbines or shorties as well mounting horizontal.

52DDFB9D-F036-40A5-A495-5FFEF27BEEE8.jpeg

It you any lights, scopes, etc then you may run into problems. My primary (2) ARs, one AR pistol and a shotgun have lights on them so they are in the front of my gun safe with no gun socks. My handgun have an accessory hanger on the inside of the safe door that can accommodates 6 pistols. If I by more pistols then I can buy a handgun rack of some kind.

Other long gun I put in a gun socks and that are great and you don't get any dings and you stuff them right next to each other. Every few months I take them out one by one, take the sock off and see if it needs any attention. I put them back in gun sock and move on my gun. I do take some of my cheaper home built ARs to the range as well.

Last Edited:
Buy a bigger safe.

At some point we all realize that 2 gallons of water won't fit in a gallon jug.

I've been there for years! Wish I could just get a bigger safe but a single much bigger safe still will be too small for all my junk. I've already done the bigger safe thing once and it's full now too!

I'm hoping to make a vault room in the future. Not sure if it'll be at this house or another.

I've never tried rifle rods but I can see some issues with some of my small bore stuff. Mostly the 5.45mm stuff. I could probably make my own with some plastic rods at certain diameters.

The difficult part of storage is not only is there ARs and AKs that stack horribly but some of those have optics and there is a huge variety of lengths from 5" barrels up to 24" barrels.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top