JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Wow! And you didn't figure out that the "crimp" needed to be swaged, or at least reamed out completely, before you broke three? ;);)

Funny... you don't always get the reaming job done perfectly and the WIMPY cast ALUMINUM Lee tends to break at that point when STEEL and IRON presses don't

OK, it's probably pot metal, even more lame

Sure I have.
But I had a little reamer that removed the last vestiges of the crimp, and properly sized the primer pocket.

Yeah well it does not always get every last bit and the JUNK Lee hand primer will breaky then, especially if you do thousands of rounds at a time like I do. No serious reloader uses those things. I use a bench mounted RCBS that will last virtually forever and not break in half on me when I need to finish a project

No serious reloader uses those things. I use a bench mounted RCBS that will last virtually forever and not break in half on me when I need to finish a project

I'd like to have a 5$ bill for every Lee hand priming tool I see competitors use at our range alone.

As for "serious" reloader, real serious loaders don't prime separately. They do so while performing other operations on a progressive.

Yeah well it does not always get every last bit and the JUNK Lee hand primer will breaky then, especially if you do thousands of rounds at a time like I do. No serious reloader uses those things. I use a bench mounted RCBS that will last virtually forever and not break in half on me when I need to finish a project

Okay, so I'm not serious enough for you. But then again, I don't "reload", I handload, for a premium level of ammunition that exceeds the performance and precision of ANY commercial ammo I have EVER bought.
That's how I was taught, and the philosophy I stick with.

Sorry Blitz, but excess force breaks them, not "thousands of rounds" or un-"serious" reloaders.
Sure, all things wear out, but my Lee auto prime hasn't yet.
I can't imagine putting THAT much force on the only explosive component in the package.

Besides, like I said before:
Excess resistance begets additional inspection.
Those are my "words to live by".

If the primer won't seat with the amount of force applied by the lee auto-prime, then something else is wrong.

YMMV. You are obviously happy with your setup, congratulations. I am happy for you.
But don't tell me my auto prime is junk, cuz if it was, it wouldn't work and I would have something different, cuz I'da trashed it loooonnngg ago.
One other thing this topic brings up is the amount of "feel" the auto-prime relays to me when seating primers. Tight isn't the only issue.
Primer pockets that are starting to get loose are easy to spot with it also.

Okay, so I'm not serious enough for you. But then again, I don't "reload", I handload, for a premium level of ammunition that exceeds the performance and precision of ANY commercial ammo I have EVER bought.
That's how I was taught, and the philosophy I stick with.

Sorry Blitz, but excess force breaks them, not "thousands of rounds" or un-"serious" reloaders.
Sure, all things wear out, but my Lee auto prime hasn't yet.
I can't imagine putting THAT much force on the only explosive component in the package.

Besides, like I said before:
Excess resistance begets additional inspection.
Those are my "words to live by".

If the primer won't seat with the amount of force applied by the lee auto-prime, then something else is wrong.

YMMV. You are obviously happy with your setup, congratulations. I am happy for you.
But don't tell me my auto prime is junk, cuz if it was, it wouldn't work and I would have something different, cuz I'da trashed it loooonnngg ago.
One other thing this topic brings up is the amount of "feel" the auto-prime relays to me when seating primers. Tight isn't the only issue.
Primer pockets that are starting to get loose are easy to spot with it also.

Have been reloading for 26 years and I say the Lee auto prime is junk. Obviously you possess some mystical powers that make you immune from it's weakness as a piece of pot metal and also allow you to make mythical ammunition the rest of us can't. Can I come train with you? :s0112: :s0155: :s0112:

I'd like to have a 5$ bill for every Lee hand priming tool I see competitors use at our range alone.

As for "serious" reloader, real serious loaders don't prime separately. They do so while performing other operations on a progressive.

I know a lot of serious reloaders who prime separately. you need to get out more. Many of us hate the easily gotten out of alignment auto prime systems on our progressives and that is why RCBS and many other companies make stand alone priming tools... even the junk Lee units

Have been reloading for 26 years and I say the Lee auto prime is junk. Obviously you possess some mystical powers that make you immune from it's weakness as a piece of pot metal and also allow you to make mythical ammunition the rest of us can't. Can I come train with you? :s0112: :s0155: :s0112:
All right Blitz. Had your fun?
You think I'm the only handloader that favors their loads over factory ammo due to performance and precision in their guns?
As far as the auto prime goes, mine is still working after 20+ years. I originally claimed around 1000 loads, but now that I think about the number of bricks of primers I have gone through, it's got to be closer to 5k.
But, since you can't make one work without breaking it, they must all be junk.
Aalll-riiightee then.

Have fun in your heavy-handed endeavors whatever they may be.
The topic the OP asked about was max loads.
So why don't you start a thread about the shortcomings of the Lee Auto-Prime.
And everything else you've broken in your lifetime.

All right Blitz. Had your fun?
You think I'm the only handloader that favors their loads over factory ammo due to performance and precision in their guns?
As far as the auto prime goes, mine is still working after 20+ years. I originally claimed around 1000 loads, but now that I think about the number of bricks of primers I have gone through, it's got to be closer to 5k.
But, since you can't make one work without breaking it, they must all be junk.
Aalll-riiightee then.

Have fun in your heavy-handed endeavors whatever they may be.
The topic the OP asked about was max loads.
So why don't you start a thread about the shortcomings of the Lee Auto-Prime.
And everything else you've broken in your lifetime.

Mine broke (3 of them) at about 1500 rds.. I reload many thousands every year and have for many years so maybe it's a matter of experience. And it was you who made this issue into war and peace :peace:

Apparently you have never played with a 45-70 in a strong action!:cool:

Spitpatch has a gun for sale that is GREAT for just that.....if you're interested.:s0155:

Thanks for the plug!

As to priming systems, I speak from ignorance toward the Lee Priming tool. Cannot denigrate it since I never found the need to explore its usage. I prime nearly everything now on an RCBS hand-held unit. Flawless operation with only minor attention to detail. Cannot say I'm a "serious" handloader, since I do not do it stern-faced and solemnly: usually with a smile on my face, looking forward to the next "happy mistake" so I can laugh at myself. I guess I AM a "seasoned" handloader, since I can count 44 seasons so far. Don't know when I passed the five-thousand round mark, but I do know it was not in this century.

I DO know that on the VERY FEW occasions where I managed to break something, or had to use any force to accomplish something, I was DOING SOMETHING WRONG!! RCBS equipment (with a few exceptions: some Redding and Hornady dies are in my stable, Lyman blackpowder measure) insulates me from breakage nearly exclusively. The minor exception to this durability are decapping pins. RCBS decapping pins CAN be broken-------- IF I DO SOMETHING WRONG!!!

Lee makes good stuff. They've been doing that for a long time, but I shudder a bit when I see guys getting into reloading and they buy (new) the cheapest Lee ("everything you need") set-up. This kit is pretty darned chincey. I have found myself bailing these guys out way too often, loaning them my RCBS stuff to get done what they need to get done without tinkering and breakage issues. Without exception, they come to realize their money would have been better spent starting with quality (perhaps used, but bulletproof-durable) equipment. Any guy just starting out is better served shopping a bit for higher grade equipment, and used higher-grade stuff can be purchased at prices that will SAVE them money over the new Lee chincey deal; especially in the long run. If one is partial to Lee, they make better stuff that what is in this kit, and Lee does themselves a reputation disservice in selling it to the unsuspecting/inexperienced.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top