JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey Fellas:

I've inherited a bolt-action. 257 Roberts re-chambered hunting rifle that was my dad's. Short of removing the scope and stock (which I'll do if I need to), the only text I can see anywhere is "MAX 98" on the receiver in a pretty elaborate font style. From what I have found, that designation seems to refer to a Mauser. For those who might have one of these, am I correct in my thinking? Is there anything I should look for to help me further identify the actual model ?

Thanks much

.257 Roberts (2).jpg

To my eye the rifle looks like a nicely sporterized Mauser 98.
I would also guess that the "x" marking is a "U" as in Mau 98.

Many a military rifle was made into a sporter during the 1950's , 60's and 70's.
The magazine American Rifleman had a series of "How to" articles on this subject in the same time period.
If the rifle was a do it yer self project , there may be no other markings and it will difficult to say what "model" the rifle is or who made it.

Some importers of firearms of this period also imported "ready made" sporters , these are usually marked on the receiver or barrel with who imported the rifle and such.

I wish you good luck with your search.
Andy

I would leave the scope on for now and remove the stock.
Mauser actions are generally recognizable and a few quality pics should clear up what type it might be.

Sorry. The rifle is not at my house yet. I was just there and took a picture of the text using my wife's mobile phone and it didn't come out very clear. I'll re-do the picture tomorrow along with the bolt. Real close ups may be a problem.

I would agree with this as a Erfurt production rifle that has been sporterized.
That said....with no other markings it will be difficult to say who sporterized it and when.
As for a model I would guess that this was a Mauser 98 WWI service rifle at one time.
Andy

Yes, it was my dad's and as recall he had it modified in the 50's. It was always a beautiful firearm and very accurate. One of my older brothers re-finished the stock, engine-turned the bolt, had the barrel and other parts re-blued and added (at that time) a new scope. I intend to keep this rifle and use it for what it was intended for. Thanks a bunch for your help.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top