Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

MAVERICK 88 Security

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by noforce, Mar 28, 2011.

1. noforce

noforce washington New Member

Looks like a good deal for home defense @ $180.00 new. Any thoughts on this one? Anyone have one they'd like to comment on?

2. PhysicsGuy

PhysicsGuy Corvallis, OR Resident Science Nut

The Mavericks are alright guns, basically economy mossbergs. But for the money and if you can find one cheap enough, I'd go with the mossberg 500 that you can usually find with 2 barrels on sale (cant remember exactly where the price is now), and then you have a HD gun that you can swap barrels to take out in the field. And if you dont want to use it for trap or hunting, can just sell off the other barrel. In the end the maverick is similar to the 500, but for the better controls and more availability of parts, Id go with the Mossberg.

But if money is tight, the Mav 88 will suit anyones needs as a well built "entry level" HD shotgun.

3. skud_dusty

skud_dusty Salem, OR Active Member

I've read enough positive reviews on the Maverick 88 that I would feel comfortable buying one. As with any firearm though, make sure it's reliable before depending on it to defend you and your family! Also, $180 is a pretty good deal. Private sale or is someone having a sale?

4. noforce

Sale Price @ Sports Authority

5. Blitzkrieg

Blitzkrieg WA Well-Known Member

Mossberg 500 combo deals at Big 5 have soared to $330. If you're on a budget and just need a basic home defense shottie, the Maverick gets good reviews

6. billdeserthills

billdeserthills Cave Creek, Arizony Well-Known Member

The only real difference between the model 88 & the 500 is the location of the safety. Be sure you are OK with that.

7. darkminstrel

darkminstrel PDX Well-Known Member

I bought an 88 from a member here a couple years ago and have done my best to beat the **** out of it. It has not failed yet. I've fired all sizes and loads of shells including the Aguila mini-shells and have had nearly no problems. I let the unit get dirty as sin and didn't let up. So far it's going strong and is my primary HD weapon. From my understanding you can replace all of the parts with M500 parts with the exception of the trigger assembly and safety. Though it's not a top quality shotgun it WILL do the work for quite a long time.

8. PhysicsGuy

PhysicsGuy Corvallis, OR Resident Science Nut

Also trigger assemblies are different, forearm and rails, and the forearm cannot be upgraded on the 88. Also a significant amount of the parts are made and partially assembled in Mexico for the 88.

9. Sagaba

Sagaba Federal Way, WA Active Member

For $180 I am highly interested. The 88's use 95% of the same parts and its just the little cheaper bro of the 500. I've had an 88 in the past and the only real diff you really notice is the safety and the fact that some pistol grips and aftermarket m500 stocks dont work ... do we have the same deal in WA???

10. Blitzkrieg

Blitzkrieg WA Well-Known Member

I've seen them at Big 5 but I forget the sale price. Watch for their mailers

11. noforce

Picked it up earlier. Sports Authority also had a $25 gift card when you spend more than $100, so net price was$155. Mine was the last one in stock @ my local store.

12. chase

chase Wilsonville, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Yes the maverick goes bang but I would rather just get a used mossberg 590 or remington 870. The maverick just cuts too many corners and yes I did own one.

13. salmonriverjohn

salmonriverjohn N.W Oregon coast, Gods country Well-Known Member

My drug of choice when I need to drag a shotgun around the farm is the Maverick, it does the job well. Besides, it's just doesn't seem right to break out the china for cheeseburgers!:thumbup:

14. billdeserthills

billdeserthills Cave Creek, Arizony Well-Known Member

Damn That is less than I pay for them from my distributors!!
    If you don't like it you can always make a couple of bucks & sell it