JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
i just recently ordered a new mossberg maverick 88 security (should be here friday) :D and earlier i saw on a few forums some maverick haters saying that i shouldnt shoot 3" magnum loads through it because its a cheap gun, :( even though the gun is chambered to accept 3". :huh: anybody have some advice?

I wouldn't worry about it, they are made by Mossberg and use some inexpensive parts for the non critical areas. I had a maverick 91 which shot the 3.5" and wouldn't hesitate to shoot them but only shot the 2.75" because of costs.

If mossberg says it's ok, then it's ok.

Enjoy your new gun, I got one last summer and it is always the most popular one at the range. The only change I made was an ATI pistol grip stock (not recoil reducing or adjustable). I got the new stock because the factory stock made my trigger finger bend at a weird angle.

FWIW, I don't care for the 3" buck loads in any defensive shotgun. They kick hard and take me too long to get back on target, but that's just me.

Say you're choosing 00 buck. A 2 3/4" load will have 9 pellets (each about .38 caliber) and a 3" load will have 12 of the same pellets. In both cases the pellets will have the same velocity and therefore power, there will just be fewer of them in the shorter shell. But isn't 9 .38 cal. pellets enough, all at once into a BG, especially if you can quickly give him 9 more and then 9 more?

If the 2 3/4 shells launched the pellets at a slower speed, then I'd change my opinion, but they don't. It's the weight of the extra 3 pellets that causes the extra kick, not the velocity.

If you're a great big, young tough guy who can get right back on target with magnums, then go for it. Just for me, magnums are for longer range and larger bird shot hunting, such as ducks and geese.

$.02

i just recently ordered a new mossberg maverick 88 security (should be here friday) :D and earlier i saw on a few forums some maverick haters saying that i shouldnt shoot 3" magnum loads through it because its a cheap gun, :( even though the gun is chambered to accept 3". :huh: anybody have some advice?

I wouldnt worry on it.

While it is made of lower quality materials, its still backed by a quality brand.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top