JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
20200214_184152.jpg 20200214_184020.jpg

Added a bipod today...

Meanwhile, here's a couple that haven't been upgraded....

#1 - Tehran Arsenal, license-built from Brno, so-called Persian Mauser - mint, with serial-number matching bayonet.

1582035866730.png
1582036484380.png

1582035910680.png
1582035952520.png
1582035979556.png
1582036042425.png

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand #2 ditto, carbine, from Venezuela...

1582036221372.png
1582036246056.png
1582036272486.png

Not forgetting the ultra-spiffy all-machined spring-loaded muzzle cap doodad....

1582036394783.png

1582036337523.png

Good, eh?

Nice looking sporter and looks like a solid bipod, I always wondered how a bipod would work on a non floated barrel.

Did you hook into the sling stud, or something else? Any decernable difference in impact pre and post install?

Red, I positioned it back from the sling hole as I still need to add a sling mount. I haven't had a chance to shot it yet post bipod but am hoping for some nicer weather soon.

Thanx for the compliment.

RR3

Why So sad?

Some of use die a little inside when fine old, historic guns, are chopped up. "Sporterized" In our Dad's days it was common for guys to go through a bin of surplus arms from WWI and WWII @ $19.99, if that, and turn those fine old, but ugly maybe, guns into hunting rifles. And at a fraction of the cost of new! I have on my father made from a m17 around 1949. People know better now though. I'm assuming that Mauser was already modified when you got it? It's not uncommon NOW days for guys to get a sporterized antique and get the proper parts and give the gun it's original life back.

Some of use die a little inside when fine old, historic guns, are chopped up. "Sporterized" In our Dad's days it was common for guys to go through a bin of surplus arms from WWI and WWII @ $19.99, if that, and turn those fine old, but ugly maybe, guns into hunting rifles. And at a fraction of the cost of new! People know better now though. I'm assuming that Mauser was already modified when you got it? It's not uncommon NOW days for guys to get a sporterized antique and get the proper parts and give the gun it's original life back.

I totally understand. I would had loved it to be all original but as you mentioned 'it is how I got it'. I look every now & again for original furniture that isn't (in my opinion) overpriced. Thx.

Well, I'm pretty new to this game and can't tell from looking even. Looking at your Mauser I'd say whoever chopped it for a hunting rifle got a beautiful specimin to begin with. Did the deed to it, and then took very good care of it. The metal looks fantastic, from waht I can see.
All I know some about are the Swede Mausers, No 1 MK III Enfields, 03s and 03 A3s . So many cool old guns out there. You need years to soak in the knowledge we have here. Here's another forum for the old gun enthusiast with a TON of knowledge....

Well, I'm pretty new to this game and can't tell from looking even. Looking at your Mauser I'd say whoever chopped it for a hunting rifle got a beautiful specimin to begin with. Did the deed to it, and then took very good care of it. The metal looks fantastic, from waht I can see.
All I know some about are the Swede Mausers, No 1 MK III Enfields, 03s and 03 A3s . So many cool old guns out there. You need years to soak in the knowledge we have here. Here's another forum for the old gun enthusiast with a TON of knowledge....

I am quite pleased with the condition and have only shot 5 rounds thru it for now.

Looks to be a VERY fine M98, and it wasn't bastardized too badly, it could be returned to as issued condition if you wanted to do it!

I'm split on the Sporters vs All original, I love both, and have both! While I would NEVER convert an original, I have no problems taking Sporters to the next level of cool! What you have here is a good base to work from, and could go ether way with it! Ether way, have fun and enjoy it as it was meant to be and then decide what to do with it!

Looks to be a VERY fine M98, and it wasn't bastardized too badly, it could be returned to as issued condition if you wanted to do it!

I'm split on the Sporters vs All original, I love both, and have both! While I would NEVER convert an original, I have no problems taking Sporters to the next level of cool! What you have here is a good base to work from, and could go ether way with it! Ether way, have fun and enjoy it as it was meant to be and then decide what to do with it!

Isn't it actually a K98? The barrel is even stamped K98. Thx.

M98 refers to Mauser Rifles of the 1898 pattern / Model
The "Mod.98" on your rifles's receiver reflects this...
Your rifle is a 98K ( K= Kurtz , German for Short )

While 98K is perhaps the more "correct" term for your rifle....M98 ain't wrong either.....
Andy

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads