JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I can't get the idea of a .500 S&W Magnum carbine out of my brain-pan. The lever-gun idea being chief among them, but now that I've acquired a light handling bolt-action, my thoughts turn that pattern of arm.

I've seen Mauser-action rifles in everything from tiny calibers all the way up ridiculously powerful cartridges. Perhaps germane to the discussion, I've seen light-ish Mauser type rifles in .45/70 Government.

My questions would be posed thusly:

• How difficult would such a conversion be?
  • Any trouble making it a box-fed repeater?
  • What Mauser, specifically, would make the most sense?
  • Has anyone done this? (My little employment of Google as to this question says "no", but I didn't dig too deep. Many moons ago I do, vaguely, recall seeing a Mauser converted to .50Æ and fed from sleeved DE magazines.)
Thanks!

Siamese Mausers seem to have been a popular .45/70 conversion back in the day. Have never seen one myself, though. That's pretty much as far as my limited knowledge goes, however. Best of luck!

If you want to spend some $$$!

Might also be worth seeing about chambering something in 500 automax.

Your going to need a Commercial Magnum Mauser in the .416 Rigby size action!
That's how I did my .500 Jeffery build! :cool:
Its totally doable, but with the much shorter case length, it's going to need tuning!
I bet our buddy @Velzey would have some wisdom and prolly a source for actions!
I too would love a nifty little carbine in .500 S&W, something like the Ruger Hawk Eye Guide!
1585086338384.png

Siamese Mausers seem to have been a popular .45/70 conversion back in the day. Have never seen one myself, though. That's pretty much as far as my limited knowledge goes, however. Best of luck!
The Siamese rifles were already chambered in a rimmed cartridge and had some unique features like a slanted magazine box that made the conversion a lot easier. 500 S&W being shorter than a rifle round though, you could probably make a magazine insert to serve the same purpose. The biggest issues with the magazine is that you'll have to design it to avoid rimlock, and figure out the new feed lips. The bolt face will need to be opened up a bit. Would be a neat rifle though!

Look at a turkish mauser receiver, looks like a large ring mauser on the outside but the barrel shank that screws into the receiver is small ring. This means more meat and stronger gun. Siamese mausers are getting tough to find. Personally I would use the 50 Beowulf, no exposed rim and close to 45/70 in numbers.

There is also the option of a P14 Enfield action if your not 100% needing a Mauser.

They have been re-chambered in very serious calibers and as they were originally chambered in a rimmed cartridge that might make converting to a box fed repeater easier

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top