JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm selling a few rifles for an estate. One is a Mauser mod.98, I think. Here are a few pictures of marking on the rifle. Any info would be useful. DSCN1167.JPG DSCN1168.JPG DSCN1169.JPG DSCN1170.JPG DSCN1171.JPG DSCN1172.JPG DSCN1173.JPG DSCN1174.JPG DSCN1175.JPG DSCN1176.JPG

The receiver code "243" = Mauser AG Borsigwalde

While I love Lyman receiver sights...your Mauser having one , makes for a great shooter...and a not so great collector's piece.
Andy

Last Edited:
Pix of complete rifle would be helpful.
Looks to have been sporterized.
Value will depend on just how much it has been changed from Full Military Dress..
DSCN1178.JPG DSCN1179.JPG Really just trying to find out the caliber, manufacturer and date. On the receiver is marked 243 and below that 1940. Above that on the barrel is 7.9

Good looking sporter for sure.

7.9 = 7.92x57mm , commonly called 8mm Mauser.

With that said...
It may be wise to have a chamber cast done...to see if the caliber has been changed when the rifle was sporterized.
Andy

You know what'll bring that back to collector grade? A really good scrubbin' with some steel wool and sandpaper, that's what!

:s0023::s0108:
Yeah, I talked with my gunsmith about cleaning up a bit. Maybe Cerakote or re-bluing it, Maybe find some military furniture for it. Try and get some of its former glory back.

I'm curious about that marking up near the front of the bolt. Looks like some kind of SS marking?
The eagle over 77? Probably an inspectors mark on the extractor collar.

Bruce

Yeah, I talked with my gunsmith about cleaning up a bit. Maybe Cerakote or re-bluing it, Maybe find some military furniture for it. Try and get some of its former glory back.
Cerakote and k98k former glory in one sentence.... ok.

- Remove the peep sight and have holes welded up and polished
- Add new rear k98k sight
- clean up and reblue
- get new wood, flat buttplate walnut or laminate stock. Laminate is more correct, although walnut could be still ok for early 1940.
- get new upper band and bayonet lug
- get cleaning rod

By the time you're done with all of the above you will be $600-$700 into it and it will still be nothing more than a non-matching shooter.

Here you go. A demilled 1937 k98k, $600, as parts donor.

Last Edited:
The eagle over 77? Probably an inspectors mark
Yes, this ^^. WaA = Waffenamt, arms inspection office. Each unit or detachment had its own number assigned. 77 must've been a fairly big one, they inspected concurrently at Steyr, Austria; at the Erma plant in Erfurt, at the Radom factory in Poland, and at least one other place I've forgotten. Definitely not SS.

From the pictures shown, this rifle is a complete mixmaster. The black enamel finish suggests it was put together in the 1950's from parts and sold by one of the distributors. I think even Sears sold such things at one time. It still has the stepped barrel on it and what looks like the original front sight, almost surely still 8mm. If you feel compelled to do a chamber casting to verify, you can do this inexpensively by using molten candle wax, that's close enough. Plug the bbl. just ahead of the chamber with a wad of newspaper.

Second opinion offered. Don't try to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. Shoot and enjoy it as-is, restoration even to original cosmetic appearance is not economical. I wonder what the bore looks like, being as it was made in 1940, it had some hard years of war behind it by the time the parts came to the US.

What's the status of this rifle? I've always wanted to get a rough Mauser, clean it up and rechamber it for 8mm-06.

Don't ask me why but I'd like to toy with that cartridge.

This seems like a great candidate.

Thanks!

What's the status of this rifle? I've always wanted to get a rough Mauser, clean it up and rechamber it for 8mm-06.

Don't ask me why but I'd like to toy with that cartridge.

This seems like a great candidate.

Thanks!
Make me a ridiculously high offer and we'll go from there. Everything's for sale, at the right price. I'm selling this rifle for an estate. I have others as well.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top