JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I have been interested in getting a Mauser rifle just because and have been looking thru the ads here and other places. I went to the Gun show the other weekend in Albany, Oregon and picked up a sporterized version as you can see in the pix.

The next day after getting familiar with the rifle I decided to put a few rounds down the pipe. Lucky for me I live in the country and can literally step out my kitchen door to shoot. Let me just saw I was thrilled with the results. I love the feel of the rifle in my hands, the sound of the massive bolt action and the loud boom.

I also picked up some stripper clip ammo from a NWF member locally for way better price than the store.

I've bought a replacement strap and will most likely add a bi-pod and possible a scope for range shooting.

20200111_194028.jpg 20200112_142905.jpg 20200113_191909.jpg

Welcome to the club. 8mm is a very good cartridge, similar to 06, .308, 7mm, etc. Capable of taking any N American game, and capable of good accuracy, and a lot of fun.

Looks like you have a sporterized German Mauser. A good gun. I bought my first Mauser ~20 years ago, and piles of ammo when it was really cheap. Seeing ammo prices today is like, whoah...

Welcome to the club. 8mm is a very good cartridge, similar to 06, .308, 7mm, etc. Capable of taking any N American game, and capable of good accuracy, and a lot of fun.

Looks like you have a sporterized German Mauser. A good gun. I bought my first Mauser ~20 years ago, and piles of ammo when it was really cheap. Seeing ammo prices today is like, whoah...

The picture of ammo I got from a member here. 280 rounds for $80. I'm guessing I should look into reloading for this caliber...

In time, you might be interested in restoring the stock to original configuration. Including the hardware and handguard that would make it complete, if not original. It would be in original appearance.

The ammo you have may have corrosive priming. You should make that determination so as to know the proper cleaning procedure after shooting.

Step one restore that rifle before it's too late. Step 2 after shooting surplus get a cup of water into the microwave for 3 mins, then take out your bolt muzzle down hold the rifle outside with a funnel into the chamber then pour the near boiling water down the bore then set the rifle aside for 30 and brush and oil the bore.

The Yugos re-barreled the K98k, it should be a little bit shorter than standard, I can't remember by how much. It will not take a bayonet, I remember that. Point being you probably have a shiny brand new barrel on that thing. If you look at the receiver under a black light you might be able to discern the original manufacturer's code. This rifle is a wonderful historical curiosity from the late 1940's and the dawn of the Cold War. I would not mess with it. Leave as is. Totally decent hunting rifles can be had off the rack for cheap $$ no reason to butcher this up.

I don't hunt so it's just to shoot. I may buy the original hardware for it and add a scope & bi-pod for the range. I love the rugged look of the furniture and the sound, oh my!

Turkish ammo is some smelly stuff, never smelled worse smokeless! And the Turk is as corrosive as the Devil's morning breath. Works great in Turk Mauser and other long-barreled 98's.
Personally, not sure I'd restore it.. you arent a hunter so that may be a moot point, but a nice wood or black synthetic stock and a scope would look great and make a fine hunting rifle in 7.92x57. 8mm Mauser is an under-appreciated round in the US (but not by me!)... It will do about anything an '06 will do albeit you have to search a bit for ammo and reloading supplies. Sellier&Beliot make some kick-bubblegum hunting ammo, much hotter than USA-made stuff.

Last Edited:
So I have been interested in getting a Mauser rifle just because and have been looking thru the ads here and other places. I went to the Gun show the other weekend in Albany, Oregon and picked up a sporterized version as you can see in the pix.

The next day after getting familiar with the rifle I decided to put a few rounds down the pipe. Lucky for me I live in the country and can literally step out my kitchen door to shoot. Let me just saw I was thrilled with the results. I love the feel of the rifle in my hands, the sound of the massive bolt action and the loud boom.

I also picked up some stripper clip ammo from a NWF member locally for way better price than the store.

I've bought a replacement strap and will most likely add a bi-pod and possible a scope for range shooting.

View attachment 650989 View attachment 650990 View attachment 650991

FYI, if you are looking for 8mm ammo, there is a great deal right now at Centerfire systems. 150rd 8mm Czech 180 Gr for $33.99. I picked some up. Shipping was about $15. They just got more in stock. Czech 8mm Mauser M47 180GR FMJ 150rds Surplus Ammunition

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top