JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
A lot of 8mm ammo is corrosive. So.....clean it correctly (especially unk surplus ammo). I clean rifles shot with corrosive ammo with hot/soapy water. Followed by regular bore cleaner, patches and oiled patches. And I clean it ASAP (when I get home, don't put it off).

As I heard it... The Yugoslav Military standardized their 8mm Mausers (M24/47, M48 and M48A etc...) with an action size and bolt (call it an Intermediate action) that was about a 1/8" shorter than the standard German K98k action and bolt.

Yes, there were plenty of German captured rifles too. Though post war ....they standardized their inventory.

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
Lots of good info here- as you don't hunt, reloading isn't going to be worthwhile when you can source the ammunition as you have. I shoot one of the Rem 700 "classic" rifles. With the handloads it is the full equal if not a bit more than the old '06. And this is coming from a 30-06 guy and family! Enjoy it, and make sure you clean it after shooting the corrosive surplus.

Happy shooting!
Bill

Lots of good info here- as you don't hunt, reloading isn't going to be worthwhile when you can source the ammunition as you have. I shoot one of the Rem 700 "classic" rifles. With the handloads it is the full equal if not a bit more than the old '06. And this is coming from a 30-06 guy and family! Enjoy it, and make sure you clean it after shooting the corrosive surplus.

Happy shooting!
Bill

Explain? More powder + more BC + more bullet choices = less?

You'd be pushing her pretty hard to get 2550 out of an 8mm with 180gr bullets. A 30-06 will do 2800 easy while having greater BC and SD.

Greetings Regerts- Thank you for the response. Although it could be very technical think of it this way. Less powder, better pressure and larger diameter yield a more desirable end product. Because it "could" doesn't necessarily mean it should. My pet load for the '06 is just a half grain more than the 8mauser. And that is using a 150 grain in the 30, while a 170-175 in the 8. Because it looks better on paper or on the interweb with many web ninja's don't necessarily make 'er so. Seeing a 175 go stem/stern on a rutted whitetail at 225 made me a believer. PM with a phone# and I will gladly visit. I won't bore the rest with the intricacies. I look forward to a visit.
Bill

When cleaning the barrel after using corrosive ammo. I dump hot water down and then immediately run a bronze brush with a patch wrapped around it then more hot water. Compressed air drying. Then regular cleaning.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top