JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Gentlemen. I have a Mauser rifle that I am trying to identify.
It is Naked, Blank, Bare except for the serial number. MAG - 216xx. 1942 era?
MAG?? ... on a different receiver that is Mauser machine gun serial prefix?.
No proof marks.
Nothing. Finish is smooth with no obvious sign of polishing.
However the MAG - 216xx is clean and deep.
The barrel is ALSO, Naked, Blank, Bare. No caliber nor gunsmith.
I was told it is a 7mm MAG .... and bore mikes out to .277 lands.
I do not have a 7mm Mag cartridge yet to try but even that doesn't really confirm caliber.

This site has a plethora of knowledge and experience so I'm tossing this out here.

Mauser 7mm id  full.jpg

Mauser 7mm id.jpg

Looking into Indium-Bismuth for chamber cast.
117* melting point.
Not sure how much I have to buy or at what cost yet.

Been advised, soft receivers were Mauser 96? or some other country. But with NO markings I have no idea. Would hope someone would NOT build a magnum without considering that. But having no caliber and no proof marks and no origin marks doesn't support that.

Thanks.

@Topaz454 Have you pulled the stock off and looked for any markings? Unless this rifle is a "Commercial Magnum Mauser" and not a standard 1898 model, A quick way to tell on a Mauser 98 to see if it is a belted "Magnum" is to look at the bolt face! On a "Standard" bolt face, there should be a crescent shape ring a little less then 1/2 the total diameter that supports the case head, on a Magnum, there would only be a little nubbin to guide the case into the breach! If you could post up a picture of the bolt face, we can tell you right away if it's a Belted magnum instantly! From there, determining which of the belted magnums you have is going to come down to muzzle diameter, it's likely only one of three. 7 mm Rem, .300 Win, or 338 Win! Remember, the .300 Win is the longest that will fit within a standard length Mauser 98, all others will have to be the bigger Commercial receiver, ( Like .375 H&H) so, a fella could determine what he has based on those two easy checks! I Would still do a chamber cast, or have a good Smith give it a once over, he should be able to tell you pretty quick what you actually have, no guessing around!

Sure looks like a Magnum to me! :cool:

DO you happen to have a .308/.30/06 ( or a 7X75 or 8 MM Mauser) shell handy to insert into that bolt face? It should be very obvious it's NOT a standard 98, but has been opened up for the magnum!

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top