JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Gentlemen. I have a Mauser rifle that I am trying to identify.
It is Naked, Blank, Bare except for the serial number. MAG - 216xx. 1942 era?
MAG?? ... on a different receiver that is Mauser machine gun serial prefix?.
No proof marks.
Nothing. Finish is smooth with no obvious sign of polishing.
However the MAG - 216xx is clean and deep.
The barrel is ALSO, Naked, Blank, Bare. No caliber nor gunsmith.
I was told it is a 7mm MAG .... and bore mikes out to .277 lands.
I do not have a 7mm Mag cartridge yet to try but even that doesn't really confirm caliber.

This site has a plethora of knowledge and experience so I'm tossing this out here.

Mauser 7mm id  full.jpg

Mauser 7mm id.jpg

Looking into Indium-Bismuth for chamber cast.
117* melting point.
Not sure how much I have to buy or at what cost yet.

Been advised, soft receivers were Mauser 96? or some other country. But with NO markings I have no idea. Would hope someone would NOT build a magnum without considering that. But having no caliber and no proof marks and no origin marks doesn't support that.

Thanks.

@Topaz454 Have you pulled the stock off and looked for any markings? Unless this rifle is a "Commercial Magnum Mauser" and not a standard 1898 model, A quick way to tell on a Mauser 98 to see if it is a belted "Magnum" is to look at the bolt face! On a "Standard" bolt face, there should be a crescent shape ring a little less then 1/2 the total diameter that supports the case head, on a Magnum, there would only be a little nubbin to guide the case into the breach! If you could post up a picture of the bolt face, we can tell you right away if it's a Belted magnum instantly! From there, determining which of the belted magnums you have is going to come down to muzzle diameter, it's likely only one of three. 7 mm Rem, .300 Win, or 338 Win! Remember, the .300 Win is the longest that will fit within a standard length Mauser 98, all others will have to be the bigger Commercial receiver, ( Like .375 H&H) so, a fella could determine what he has based on those two easy checks! I Would still do a chamber cast, or have a good Smith give it a once over, he should be able to tell you pretty quick what you actually have, no guessing around!

Sure looks like a Magnum to me! :cool:

DO you happen to have a .308/.30/06 ( or a 7X75 or 8 MM Mauser) shell handy to insert into that bolt face? It should be very obvious it's NOT a standard 98, but has been opened up for the magnum!

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top