JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I was looking in to the details of an Oregon County's Ordinance regarding camping on your own private property. The Ordinance permits camping on private property up to 21 days in any 6 month period. If my calculator work was right that means I could legally camp for an average of 3.5 days a month, all 12 months of the year? That is 42 days a year. There are usually three contiguous months of the year where I would have little desire to camp on the property. I believe that means I would lose about 10 legally available camping days.

This is probably a dumb question but can anybody think of a schedule for the other 9 months where I could retain most of the 42 days over a year period?

Getting a hunting licence and a Cougar tag every year could fix any problems I might have. This exemption is provided in county code:

"Camping on public or private property beyond the time limits described in this
section is prohibited, except for hunters with a current hunting license during an
Oregon Dept. of Fish and Wildlife sanctioned hunting season."

That's ridiculous. If you want to camp on your own property 365 days a year, that's your business. Think the danger rangers are really gonna scout you out, log the data and do anything about it? I don't.

That's ridiculous. If you want to camp on your own property 365 days a year, that's your business. Think the danger rangers are really gonna scout you out, log the data and do anything about it? I don't.
We've had some drama on the Mountain recently. One of our new neighbors turned in another long time neighbor for having a woodstove in an accessory building. He pulled the wood stove out to appease the county.

This neighbor is ex LEO and a really nice guy but the new neighbors are evidently hell bent on causing problems.

I am hoping to avoid the new neighbors attention/wrath but I'm preparing for what might happen if the county determines my cabin is a non permitted dwelling. It's over the maximum size for an accessory building so it will be bad news if the county comes knocking and tells me the cabin has to come down. At that point I would be a camper rather then a part time resident.

It's status quo for the time being but planning for the worst.

We've had some drama on the Mountain recently. One of our new neighbors turned in another long time neighbor for having a woodstove in an accessory building. He pulled the wood stove out to appease the county.

This neighbor is ex LEO and a really nice guy but the new neighbors are evidently hell bent on causing problems.

I am hoping to avoid the new neighbors attention/wrath but I'm preparing for what might happen if the county determines my cabin is a non permitted dwelling. It's over the maximum size for an accessory building so it will be bad news if the county comes knocking and tells me the cabin has to come down. At that point I would be a camper rather then a part time resident.

It's status quo for the time being but planning for the worst.
How big of a building can you have before it's deemed a house?

How big of a building can you have before it's deemed a house?
Since my property is over 2 acres 400sq ft is the max limit. In addition part of my cabin has a roofline that is higher than allowed in an accessory building. Not to mention plumbing, woodstove (buried in concrete), and some 120v wiring. I could probably chop off part of the cabin to fit it in the sq ft allowance but it would be a mess and all the creature comforts would have to go. I am hoping it doesn't ever come to that. I really love the situation as is. The property would still be enjoyable with out the cabin but not awesome.

Edit: There is also the question of whether you can even have an accessory structure with out a main dwelling unit on the property.

Last Edited:
does your building predate the regulations?
Are you "grandfathered"?

In other words :
Are you violating the regulations ,or, are the regulations violating you?
I don't know that. I do know at least part of the cabin existed prior to county approving the septic system. If the county ever gives me grief I will explore that but I am not going to search it out until it's necessary. I am going to try and keep my profile as low as possible with the county.

To answer your question, here's how I'd do it...
Since you get 21 days in ANY 6 month period, I'd first divide the 3- months you're not going to use the property equally.
I'd put 1.5 months into my first 6-month period, and the other 1.5 months into the other 6-month period.
Therefore, I'd have 21 days to camp, over the 4.5 months that I'd want to use the property...or almost 5 days per month.
Again, I think these (and most rules) are silly, but following your guidelines and desire to not run afoul of your local Karen's, this is how I'd do it.

I don't know that. I do know at least part of the cabin existed prior to county approving the septic system. If the county ever gives me grief I will explore that but I am not going to search it out until it's necessary. I am going to try and keep my profile as low as possible with the county.

Explore it now! If your grandfathered, you need to know so you can shut anyone down before they can gain momentum..

Explore it now! If your grandfathered, you need to know so you can shut anyone down before they can gain momentum..
I don't see much opportunity to explore it now anonymously. I could end up opening a big can of worms if I raise my concerns with the county. The time to shut anyone down will only come if the county comes after me. I would much prefer to lay low and hope that doesn't happen.

Last Edited:
Unless your area is surrounded by camping karens. :

Camp when you want, where you want and as long as you want on YOUR land.
You would not believe the amount of Karening going on down there. Neighbors, HOA, County, Forest Service and the local Fire District are full of Karens. I try to stay out of it as much as possible. I just want to keep my well key, cut my firewood, enjoy my place and mind my own business.

To answer your question, here's how I'd do it...
Since you get 21 days in ANY 6 month period, I'd first divide the 3- months you're not going to use the property equally.
I'd put 1.5 months into my first 6-month period, and the other 1.5 months into the other 6-month period.
Therefore, I'd have 21 days to camp, over the 4.5 months that I'd want to use the property...or almost 5 days per month.
Again, I think these (and most rules) are silly, but following your guidelines and desire to not run afoul of your local Karen's, this is how I'd do it.
Sounds like a plan, thanks.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top