JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Off of Gunbroker.com, I bought a NIB Colt XSE Lightweight Govt. The gun MSRPs for almost $1,000.

Took it out of box and while handling it I noticed the trigger rattled. A lot. It also has a lot of wiggle up and down, side to side, and back and forth. Trigger pull has a bit of creep and is slightly gritty (like a Sig 1911), but that's neither here nor there.

Contacted Colt and they said ship it back on their dime. After three weeks they sent it back with the same trigger rattle, noting that "Trigger is a drop in part. Some play is normal."

Fantastic. Was planning on carrying this while hunting, but with the trigger bouncing around and making noise every time I take a step, this Colt isn't leaving the house.

And although the file size is too large and I therefore can't upload it to this site, I made a video where I pick up and shake four different unloaded pistols: the Colt XSE; a 1999 Kimber Compact; a late 1990s Sig P220; and a Sig 1911.

Only the Colt and its trigger made any sort of noise, sounding like a one-person percussionist marching band. Sorry Colt, I'm not impressed. I wouldn't keep this pistol if it had a unicorn stamped on it instead of the pony.

You must really bounce around while hunting to hear your guns trigger.

A trigger that rattles is minor. No 1911 manufacture can make $1000 1911 with a custom fit trigger. You can make adjustments to it to reduce the play or buy an aftermarket trigger like the STI with more adjustments. You might just put grease on the trigger bars or rails to get it to quiet up during hunting season.

You must really bounce around while hunting to hear your guns trigger.

A trigger that rattles is minor. No 1911 manufacture can make $1000 1911 with a custom fit trigger. You can make adjustments to it to reduce the play or buy an aftermarket trigger like the STI with more adjustments. You might just put grease on the trigger bars or rails to get it to quiet up during hunting season.

Well, I don't sit in a tree stand. I'm pretty quiet in the woods and dont need to ruin that with something that sounds like the ball rattling around in an empty metal spraypaint can. While hiking today I got to within 35 yards of a large bedded down 4-point mulie. Of course I was carrying an HK, not the Colt. The trigger rattle is lound enough and rythmic when walking. You might not have ever seen an elk under 50 yards perk his ears up when he hears a camera turn on and zoom in on him, or seen an elk at 75 yards hear a rifle safety click off. You'll be surprised when they run off. I also have cheaper 1911s with triggers that don't rattle. I think I overpaid for the Colt by $400 just to have a my little pony emblem on the slide.

Colt's apathy of "whatever" didn't help matters. I'm surprised they at least didn't offer to do a trigger job on it. Instead they just sent it back as if to say "oh well."

Last Edited:
What would it take to buy and fit a new trigger?
Personally I've never seen a 1911 with a trigger that loose, but I've not seen your gun.
If you're handy, you could probably buy the trigger, and the file to do the job, for less hassle, or money lost, than selling the gun.

What would it take to buy and fit a new trigger?
Personally I've never seen a 1911 with a trigger that loose, but I've not seen your gun

I guess my point is that I've not seen or heard any gun (whether it be a pistol or rifle) with such a loose trigger either. For Colt to be so apathetic about their work product is disappointing, and so I wont buy another.

I guess my point is that I've not seen or heard any gun (whether it be a pistol or rifle) with such a loose trigger either. For Colt to be so apathetic about their work product is disappointing, and so I wont buy another.

Fair enough.

I'm one that if in the market for a new firearm, it's likely to be an old one. I've dealt with parts companies like you describe your dealings with Colt. I would do the same as you. But to make the best of a gun that you'll probably love otherwise, I'd be looking at triggers.:)

It's a shame, though...

Swapped the plastic trigger on my old Colt Pocket light Government model and my Sig 238. The hardest part is removing the trigger pin without damaging the slide. I ended up making mu own punch and modifying my bench vise and pressing it out. Youtube for instructions and pay attention to how the trigger comes out as it only comes out one way and you have to work it around the trigger bar.

From all the research I've done the XSP is the same install but hopfully the trigger pin comes out easier

Swapped the plastic trigger on my old Colt Pocket light Government model and my Sig 238. The hardest part is removing the trigger pin without damaging the slide. I ended up making mu own punch and modifying my bench vise and pressing it out. Youtube for instructions and pay attention to how the trigger comes out as it only comes out one way and you have to work it around the trigger bar.

From all the research I've done the XSP is the same install but hopfully the trigger pin comes out easier

Maybe, but it looks like the Colt factory couldn't figure out how to do it on mine.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top