JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Well, I wasn't going to weigh in on the discussion of "racism", but I did have something I wanted to add.

First, the word "racist" or "racisim" has about lost all meaning these days. It's being thrown around so much that no one even knows what is implied by the word. So, let's take a look at the definition of "racism":

1. : a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race

2. 2a : a doctrine or political program based on the assumption of racism and designed to execute its principlesb : a political or social system founded on racism
Source: Definition of RACIST

I don't think anyone here was implying/suggesting in any way that one race is superior over another, or that another race of people is somehow inferior in any way. That is the definition of racism, and until folks stop treating racism as a catch word for everything they don't like, it's going to eventually become completely meaningless. As it is, I think folks are so burned out on the excessively liberal use of the word, they're just starting to ignore it.

Second, the comments made in this thread aren't about a particular race in terms of their genetic makeup or their base racial identities. Rather some fun was made of the way certain folks speak English with their accents. Funny thing is it's done all the time, even here in the US among people of different regions, without it being considered racist. Do we cry racism when someone outside the US makes fun of a southern accent? Or a Boston accent? No, we laugh, enjoy it and move on - because that's what rational adults do.

Third, I come from a variety of different backgrounds. Now, apparently I can't ever consider anything said against those backgrounds to be racist, because they're all white. But every single St. Patrick's Day, I see plenty of folks making fun of my Irish heritage, labeling them as drunks, fools and showing them as funny looking little leprachauns. Or let's consider my Swedish heritage and the nasty way the Muppets have made fun of the way my ancestors talk - I can assure you they never said "bork bork bork". How about my Dutch heritage - did I get all bent out of shape when Austin Powers portrayed my ancestors via his character Goldmember as some kind of really odd people with a nasty skin condition and a weird way of schpeaking? Know what I do when I hear that stuff pointed at my ancestry? I laugh my azz off about it, because it's FUNNY. Do I really think people are putting down the Irish, the Swedes, the Dutch or any of my other ancestors because they are poking fun at a certain way these folks do things? Hell no. Again, I'm an adult, I can process such things.

Honestly, I'm really tired of the whole "you're a racist" label getting tossed around without the slightest thought about what that accusation really truly means. I know a lot of people from a lot of races, and guess what, they ALL make jokes about people that are different from them. Are they implying that they (or their race) are somehow better than another race as a result? No, of course not. They are simply recognizing some differences in people and finding some humor in those differences. Heck, I've known some folks over the years, non-white folks, that have just as 'offensive' a sense of humor when it comes to these things - and they're funny as hell.

Good grief folks, lighten up. There is far too much hatred and anger and intolerance in this world as it is. Learn to tell the difference between a simple joke and real, true racsim. Life may be much more enjoyable that way.

BTW, here is a video of folks from around the world (including non-whites) making fun of American accents. Is this racist, since non-whites are making fun of the way we talk?? Of course it's not. It's just funny. These folks have lightened up, others could take a cue from them:

Well, I wasn't going to weigh in on the discussion of "racism", but I did have something I wanted to add.

First, the word "racist" or "racisim" has about lost all meaning these days. It's being thrown around so much that no one even knows what is implied by the word. So, let's take a look at the definition of "racism":

1. : a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race

2. 2a : a doctrine or political program based on the assumption of racism and designed to execute its principlesb : a political or social system founded on racism
Source: Definition of RACIST

I don't think anyone here was implying/suggesting in any way that one race is superior over another, or that another race of people is somehow inferior in any way. That is the definition of racism, and until folks stop treating racism as a catch word for everything they don't like, it's going to eventually become completely meaningless. As it is, I think folks are so burned out on the excessively liberal use of the word, they're just starting to ignore it.

Second, the comments made in this thread aren't about a particular race in terms of their genetic makeup or their base racial identities. Rather some fun was made of the way certain folks speak English with their accents. Funny thing is it's done all the time, even here in the US among people of different regions, without it being considered racist. Do we cry racism when someone outside the US makes fun of a southern accent? Or a Boston accent? No, we laugh, enjoy it and move on - because that's what rational adults do.

Third, I come from a variety of different backgrounds. Now, apparently I can't ever consider anything said against those backgrounds to be racist, because they're all white. But every single St. Patrick's Day, I see plenty of folks making fun of my Irish heritage, labeling them as drunks, fools and showing them as funny looking little leprachauns. Or let's consider my Swedish heritage and the nasty way the Muppets have made fun of the way my ancestors talk - I can assure you they never said "bork bork bork". How about my Dutch heritage - did I get all bent out of shape when Austin Powers portrayed my ancestors via his character Goldmember as some kind of really odd people with a nasty skin condition and a weird way of schpeaking? Know what I do when I hear that stuff pointed at my ancestry? I laugh my azz off about it, because it's FUNNY. Do I really think people are putting down the Irish, the Swedes, the Dutch or any of my other ancestors because they are poking fun at a certain way these folks do things? Hell no. Again, I'm an adult, I can process such things.

Honestly, I'm really tired of the whole "you're a racist" label getting tossed around without the slightest thought about what that accusation really truly means. I know a lot of people from a lot of races, and guess what, they ALL make jokes about people that are different from them. Are they implying that they (or their race) are somehow better than another race as a result? No, of course not. They are simply recognizing some differences in people and finding some humor in those differences. Heck, I've known some folks over the years, non-white folks, that have just as 'offensive' a sense of humor when it comes to these things - and they're funny as hell.

Good grief folks, lighten up. There is far too much hatred and anger and intolerance in this world as it is. Learn to tell the difference between a simple joke and real, true racsim. Life may be much more enjoyable that way.

BTW, here is a video of folks from around the world (including non-whites) making fun of American accents. Is this racist, since non-whites are making fun of the way we talk?? Of course it's not. It's just funny. These folks have lightened up, others could take a cue from them:

We need a OH HE!! YA button. I would have hit that and like. good posting etrain thanks for putting that into words.

We need a OH HE!! YA button. I would have hit that and like. good posting etrain thanks for putting that into words.

Thanks man :) I'm just frustrated that folks have lost the ability to distinguish actual racism from simple humor. Wasn't all that long ago that people got that concept. Now it's been lost due to the political winds of change. Too bad, because there is some great humor out there that has no basis in racism whatsoever.

Page 1: Post 13: "Damn Japs!"

Apparently that's okay with every single one of you, but I call b.s. And here again, why is it so easy to write that behind the safety of your keyboard and not in front of someone of Japanese descent?

And yeah, I certainly have issues with cowards who hit and run behind the keyboard.

Last edited by a moderator:
I understand the point of the old saying : " Its only funny if we are both laughing".
And it is important to know that what one person finds funny another may find offensive.

That said ... there are ways and means to state that you are offended without worsening the situation.
And I do agree that way too many people are too quick nowadays to be offended or throw out the racist card at the drop of a hat.
It can seem at times that some folks go out of their way to be offended...
Andy
Edit for pre-coffee typing...

Last Edited:
Page 1: Post 13: "Damn Japs!"

Apparently that's okay with every single one of you, but I call b.s. And here again, why is it so easy to write that behind the safety of your keyboard and not in front of someone of Japanese descent?

And yeah, I certainly have issues with cowards who hit and run behind the keyboard.

So everyone is racist because of one post? How about letting each person answer for what they post rather than condemning an entire site or group of people on a site because of one person or even a couple of people have said.

Funny, it seems you speak against those making sweeping generalizations of a race or group of people, yet you have condemned the group here in a generaliztion yourself.

I understand the point of the old saying : " Its only funny if we are both laughing".
And it is important to know that what one person finds funny another may find offensive.

That said ... there are ways and means to state that you are offended without worsening the situation.
And I do agree that way too many people are too quick nowadays to be offended or throw out the racist card at the drop of a hat.
Andy

True Andy, but I think it's important to separate what may be offensive to someone from actual racism. Being offended doesn't have to be taken to the level of "racist", and that's what I see too many folks doing these days. It's okay for someone to be offended, and if they are, they are free to express that point. Heck, I see things every day that offend me (Portland and Salem politics and voters, for example) - pushing agendas that go against my values. But I don't consider them racist, I just consider them fools and I get on with my life ;)

Andy

"Damn Japs" isn't funny, it's as racist a term as any. What's offensive is no one gave a damn because it's easy to jump on board from a safe distance of one's keyboard.

How is that racist?
The term may indeed be offensive ... but it does not state that one race is superior to another.
Webster has this to say:
Racism , a belief that some races are by nature superior to others.
Andy

Last Edited:
I'm new here and yesterday while checking out older threads I came across a comment by a member that said something to the effect of "The confederate battle flag is gay, but the tailgate is cool.."

Now as someone who has southern roots and ancestors that fought for BOTH sides during the War of Northern Aggression is the above statement racist towards me or anyone with similar roots?

No.

Did I find the statement offensive?
Yes I did.
Personally I feel that the poster may be ill informed as to the true meaning of that flag and Southern pride in general, but it wasn't worth having a tissy fit over.
IMG_1056.JPG

Agree 100% with that particular type of post Tully Mars, however, would it still be okay with you given you have family history if a black person made the same statement and included a racist term such as "honky" or "cracker" or similar?

Tell me, if being new to the forum, you were of Japanese descent and came upon Post #13 with the descriptive "Damn Japs", would you feel encouraged being here?

Poking fun about penis size, no biggie, racist terms as "Japs", not appropriate.

I was once stationed in Japan and came to really appreciate their sense of culture, tradition and respect for people of all color. People from around the world flock there despite the high costs of living because it is safe to walk the streets and because there isn't the type of bullbubblegum crime that's seemingly fostered here on every street corner.

I'll continue to stick up for the Japanese the same as I would for people of all ethnicities, cultures and backgrounds.

Agree 100% with that particular type of post Tully Mars, however, would it still be okay with you given you have family history if a black person made the same statement and included a racist term such as "honky" or "cracker" or similar?

Tell me, if being new to the forum, you were of Japanese descent and came upon Post #13 with the descriptive "Damn Japs", would you feel encouraged being here?

You know you have said "Damn Japs" more than any poster here?

B/c it's not racist, as you claim.

offensive...maybe...to some.

I wasn't offended when you threw out "cracker" or "honkey" ...Weird....but I'm Caucasian?

There is more than one meaning for the word which has nothing to do with people of Japanese decent.

Jap, Japs
J.A.P. stands for Jewish American Princess.... describing the rich jewish girls who are overly trendy and self centered because theyre parents spoiled them their whole lives....

This came out of the urban dictionary. ;)

And I should believe you? LOL. And if you weren't offended by the other terms, why mention it at all? Oh so now, you can admit the term "Damn Japs" is offensive and yet it's okay on a public forum.

:s0113: hahaha in circles we go :s0013:

Last Edited:
Status

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR