JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Interesting......

http://www.southcoasttoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20100311/NEWS/3110340

The right to bear arms as defined in the Second Amendment does not apply to the states, so Massachusetts can regulate who can have firearms and how those weapons are to be stored, the state's high court ruled Wednesday.

The Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court unanimously dismissed two challenges to the state's gun laws that require citizens to register with police departments before acquiring a firearm, as well as keeping guns stored in a locked container or equipped with a trigger lock.

The court upheld the conviction of Nathaniel DePina, a New Bedford man who is serving a two-year jail sentence for carrying an illegal firearm. His lawyer, Paul Patten of Fall River, challenged the conviction on the grounds that the state's gun licensing laws were unconstitutional.

Patten said the Supreme Judicial Court missed an opportunity to contribute to the debate surrounding the Second Amendment.

"I think they could have at least given some guidance on the issue," Patten said. "This leaves all the main questions unanswered."

Meanwhile, law enforcement officials and gun control advocates praised the ruling.

"We have seen in Bristol County, and I believe this is true throughout Massachusetts, that 95 percent of the gun violence is committed by those who have no lawful right to possess or carry a firearm," Bristol County District Attorney C. Samuel Sutter said.

"That is a powerfully compelling argument for the need for licensing requirements for the possession of firearms."

New Bedford Police Chief Ronald E. Teachman said he was "relieved" with the court's rulings.

"If the SJC had not ruled this way, where would we be? That anyone can have a gun, regardless of criminal background or mental health?" Teachman said.

The challenges before the Supreme Judicial Court flowed from the U.S. Supreme Court's 2008 decision in District of Columbia v. Heller, which said that the Second Amendment applied to private citizens in addition to state-regulated militias.

On Wednesday, Massachusetts Justice Ralph Gants said the Heller decision did not have any bearing on state law.

"We conclude that, based on current federal law, the Second Amendment does not apply to the states, either through the 14th Amendment's guarantee of substantive due process or otherwise," he said.

"The defendant's challenge likewise fails under our Massachusetts Constitution, which recognizes no individual right to keep and bear arms."

Jim Wallace, president of the Gun Owners Action League, a gun rights organization, decried the judge's ruling.

"What a mess. It's very clear to me that Justice Gants did not actually read the Heller decision," he said.

The issue could be revisited soon. Last week, the U.S. Supreme Court heard arguments in McDonald v. Chicago, a case in which the court is asked to determine whether the Second Amendment applies to state and local laws.

"The Chicago case will be a remarkable decision," Teachman said. "It will have a profound effect either way."

Attorney Dwight Duncan, a professor at the new UMass School of Law at Dartmouth, said the Supreme Judicial Court may be on "very thin ice" in its gun rulings.

"Given that virtually every provision of the Bill of Rights has been incorporated against the states by the 14th Amendment's due process clause, I think it highly unlikely that the U.S. Supreme Court will decide that the Second Amendment does not apply to the states," Duncan said.

I'm fairly surprised that this hasn't gotten more response!? Does this not seem pretty messed up, or what? Trying to say that the 2A doesn't apply to the States? It applies to We The People! I am pretty shocked by this, and would love to hear some opinions.....any?

I think the people of Massachusetts should start writing letters to the congress men and women, the judges and anyone else that they need to in authority there and tell them what they think about this decision.

Massachusetts, like NY, Conn, NJ, Maryland, DC, Pennsylvania, are greats states to be from. Lots of left wing loons that graduate from colleges and universities with distinguished names--and some of their most competent graduates are psychopaths who achieve positions in government exploiting the masses. Anybody want to guess how many of the Massachusetts SJC members carry concealed or have weapons nearby to their person. The lefties back East, like elsewhere, are very quick to scream like pigs when they have been victimized by not only by their own doing but the doing of criminals and the like. Rather than protecting themselves they employ others to make the decisions to protect others to do what they can not do for themselves--but as you know the cops almost always arrive late to the crimes scene. This is one reason why crime is where it is back east. People in Massachusetts enjoy your own doing. Your people in state government that have the right to firearms or the right to carry concealed don't equalize that right to the citizens of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. Do like lots of people do back East, move West!

I think the people of Massachusetts should start writing letters to the congress men and women, the judges and anyone else that they need to in authority there and tell them what they think about this decision.

That sounds great in theory, but if they won't listen to the people concerning goobermint run health care, tax and cap energy policies, and onerous income tax burdens, what would make one think they would listen to anything pro-gun?

The folks in Massachusetts just voted in Brown; maybe they will change the structure of government in the Commonwealth and get rid of these dummies. Writing letters is a good aversive response to their dumb decisions. But, some one above did indicated that in the Commonwealth's Charter there is no provision for the right to bear arms. Seems very funny since, in part, the American Revolution started there and elsewhere. The Commonwealth is thick with super liberal colleges and universities. That is a lot of voters to change the minds in a more conservative and protective way. tkdguy

It has allways been the Obama intention to have the states do gun control and leave the feds out of it so they don't get voted out again. Odd how a state can say you have no right when that right is guarenteed by the constitution. What other rights will they say people don't have?

jj

The scary and sad part about this to me is that this may set a precedent that other States may try and follow. I sure hope that's not the case, I would hate to see something like this growling at Oregon's doorstep.

The scary and sad part about this to me is that this may set a precedent that other States may try and follow. I sure hope that's not the case, I would hate to see something like this growling at Oregon's doorstep.

I'm not a lawyer (by any means), but I can read (and have great comprehension skills), and my understanding is that Oregon is firmly ensconced in "pro-gun" laws from "the past", and Article-1, Sec.-27 of the Oregon Constituion SPECIFICALLY STATES, "The people shall have the right to bear arms for the defence [sic] of themselves, and the State, but the Military shall be kept in strict subordination to the civil power[.]", that it would take quite a bit of leverage (i.e. outright "illegal" martial law) to get to were "Taxachusetts" is...

BTW- Don't fall in love with the notion of the newly elected Sen. Brown just yet... IIRC he just recently voted for another massive Federal spending bill for some such "crisis" BS... and that there is the crux of almost ALL of our problems; MASSIVE DEFICIT SPENDING... let's collapse the system with massive debt and spending, then Progressive (i.e. Communists) (R)evolution can commence!

I fear/suspect there will be blood in the streets...

Note the word "fear" as in dread... Have you seen what's going on in Greece? Riots in the streets... why? The Greek government has spent their country into oblivion, and are beholden to public employee unions (sound familiar on our own turf?), notice Iceland is now sliding into turmoil over "investment money" being lost from the UK and Germany? France has had riots, Germany won't be too far behind... the UK... the USA, then maybe China? The world's nation's economies are all tied together... its being CRASHED on purpose, so another "solution" can be ushered in to a panicked, and "hungry" world... one piece at a time.

I'm just seeing all the pieces of a big puzzle falling into place... pay no attention, everything is fine.. go drink your Starbuck's, our government is going to take care of us from cradle to grave... But hey... life goes on, huh? :s0131:

"We have seen in Bristol County, and I believe this is true throughout Massachusetts, that 95 percent of the gun violence is committed by those who have no lawful right to possess or carry a firearm," Bristol County District Attorney C. Samuel Sutter said.

And 95% of the gun violence will continue to be committed by those who have no lawful right to possess or carry a firearm, whether or not you continue to make it difficult for lawful citizens to carry.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top