JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I don't get where that many cops would be unarmed at a bar. Not blaming, just amazed.

Having spent a few years in college down in LA, I understand why they were unarmed. Thousand Oaks and the surrounding towns north of LA are considered very wealthy and mostly crime free like a big gated community of million dollar plus homes, compared to the city to the south. Median home value in Thousand Oaks is 730k, and next city over Malibu is 2.9million.

In a chilling final Facebook post, the war vet who massacred 12 people in a California bar ranted about mass shootings and the "hopes and prayers" commonly offered to victims after them, according to a report.

"I hope they call me insane… (laughing emojis) wouldn't that just be a big ball of irony?" Ian David Long, 28, wrote around the time of Wednesday's attack, law enforcement officials told CNN.

"Yeah… I'm insane, but the only thing you people do after these shootings is 'hopes and prayers'.. or 'keep you in my thoughts'… every time… and wonder why these keep happening…"

Authorities told the outlet the post was made by Long, but the shooter's Facebook account or other posts haven't been previously reported.

On Wednesday night, Long, a former Marine, stormed into the Borderline Bar & Grill in Thousand Oaks and unleashed a hail of bullets before turning the gun on himself.

https://nypost.com/2018/11/09/ian-d..._medium=referral&utm_campaign=zergnet_3482947

I dont know of a perfect solution, but hopes and prayers wouldn't offer me anything if a loved one were killed. Revenge technically doesn't either, but at least the outcome is slightly more fair. I am very much an eye for an eye kind of person. In the case of these shooters, eye for an eye isnt just executing the killer. Eye for an eye would be executing their loved one, which if I were king would most likely be the law. I probably havent thought that through 100% but its how im feeling. Thoughts?

I dont know of a perfect solution,

I don't think there is one. Unlike other countries that have banned ownership of firearms, we live in a society that long ago decided to balance keeping tyranny at bay, against the risk of public violence. And despite the incidence of large public shootings, there is really not that much gun violence if you eliminate gangsta shootings that are listed as "Mass Shootings" since they have 2 or more victims. Far more people are killed or injured by knives, etc. But a look a governmental tyranny shows a risk of millions, yes millions, of victims. Think about that. We tend to think in regional terms, or things that have happened in our lifetimes. But the massacres perpetrated by Pol Pot, Stalin, Hitler's annihlation of Jews, Mao's slaughter of peasants... all these happened either in my lifetime, or just before. Those that say that it can't happen to us are just delusional.

IMO, society at large is moving in a direction that will ignore that risk/reality and eventually repeal the 2nd Amendment. Then the fit will hit the shan!!

Last Edited:
Of course I have zero admiration for this scum but it felt like a different kind of attacker. Why he attacked people that were just like him is my big mystery.

I don't know that they were (edit: just like him). These were a bunch of affluent kids, where he seems to be some kind of counter-culture Antifa type.

Well that's a different definition of providing help. Stopping the shooter would seem a better choice than stopping a bullet, but maybe it's Hero-Lite?

Outside of rescinding the 2nd Amendment and prohibiting firearm ownership out right, what more gun control can California possibly impose?

They'll think of something. Seems they are pushing for a "turn it in" type of law.

Full court press is on now... they're blaming Trump for doing nothing, and have trotted out Ashton Kutcher to appeal to Ivanka to "talk to" her dad. :rolleyes:

what more gun control can California possibly impose?
Watch for more offbeat ideas such as a waiting period on ammo or a request that will need to be filled out and reviewed by some authority to approve the purchase based on a 'need to own' position.

If someone is killed or injured by a car, the driver is at fault.
If someone is killed or injured by a knife, the person wielding the knife is at fault.
If someone is killed or injured by a firearm, the firearm is at fault?

What happened to common sense...........

Blame the tool not the person or the system who failed

It's the guns. The guns are the problem.

Of course with all the "America's weak gun laws" the article fails to mention the high percentage of shootings in gun free zones, suicide, gang shootings since they were looking for remedies.

Replacing the GFZ signs with something more catchy like, 'We protect our children with deadly force. Thunk about it'. Do things to reduce gangs like jobs, school, jail. Actually fund a mental health system. Reopen the looney pens that were close...just around the time homelessness and these shootings started.

But why implement permanent solutions when we have an agenda drive political system.

And of course celebrities are exempt from the strict California gun laws

ashton kutcher on Twitter

Screenshot_2018-11-10 ashton kutcher on Twitter.png

This is the part of the story that absolutely disgusts me:

"Six off-duty, unarmed police officers from various agencies were at the bar when the shooting began"

After years of intimidation under California Attorney General Kamala Harris, police are afraid to do their jobs.

I like that gun control is a more bigger issue than the current massive fire thats already killed more than the shooter and displaced hundreds more and destroyed more in property damage etc. Tragic but still, you'd think with a huge uncontrolled fire running still they'd be at least a little more active in trying to help those affected than getting politically active on something that state already has set in stone.

What are they going to ban fire next?

Glad to see priorities are straight!

Only a few miles from where the shooting happened too!
The Latest: Fire captain says wildfire destroys Calif. town

I like that gun control is a more bigger issue than the current massive fire thats already killed more than the shooter and displaced hundreds more and destroyed more in property damage etc. Tragic but still, you'd think with a huge uncontrolled fire running still they'd be at least a little more active in trying to help those affected than getting politically active on something that state already has set in stone.

What are they going to ban fire next?

Glad to see priorities are straight!

Only a few miles from where the shooting happened too!
The Latest: Fire captain says wildfire destroys Calif. town
Yep, it was obviously started by a stray round. All ammoes should be bannernated for the childerns.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top