JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Teen suicide has skyrocketed since 2019. If this is the first time someone has been prosecuted under the safe storage law, is this the first teen firearm suicide since the law?

That whole law is a disgrace. You are liable for getting robbed now.
That said if you know you have a troubled child, for God's sake keep your firearms secured.

Now this poor, foolish woman has to make funeral arrangements for her son from her prison cell. SMH

Not a fan at all of being made to store my firearms a certain way or told how to do so in my home.
Its my home...I know what is best for it...not someone who doesn't live there.
What works well in one home , may not in another....
Safety does not come with a "one size fits all " solution.

With that said....
It is imperative that you truly know your home , who lives in it and take a honest look at your situation...
When it comes to safe firearm storage .
One mistake with a firearm can have life altering consequenses.

Something to consider here is that , yes the boy killed himself with her gun.
However...
I am sure that there are kitchen knives , cleaning chemicals , yard maintenance equipment , electric devices / outlets...
And more than likely given the times we live in , some sort of prescription medicine that would produce the same result...
All in the same home.
Hell , he could have just walked out in front of traffic.

My point with the above is that if someone wants to harm themselves or others...
There are plenty of ways of doing so.
Yet...
I am made to lock up my guns in my home.
Andy
I lived for a few years in a household where one of the members left guns laying around all the time and nothing happened. I don't condone it, but I'm betting there was a time when most American gun owners didn't have a safe.

If this is the first prosecution for this law in 4 years, I don't imagine it's saving many, or perhaps any lives. I was never convinced that was the intent.

Teen suicide has skyrocketed since 2019. If this is the first time someone has been prosecuted under the safe storage law, is this the first teen firearm suicide since the law?
There is another case I know of in WA where a man was charged for unsafe storage when his teen son killed himself. Oddly enough, also a member of the LE community.

Anymore, if a gun isn't on my body, I lock it up. As smart as my kids seem, they're dumb.

Ummm so I won't talk about what transpired or the case etc… I want to point out that a teenager or prepubescent teenager is smarter than most people think… story time….
:s0135:

We were at my friends house and found my friends dad's safe in the ceiling behind boxes… looked throughout the house and found the keys… unlocked the safe because we thought there would be cool stuff in it… we found 2 pistols unloaded in it… searched the house and found the mags and ammunition all in separate places… put it back and pretended like we were oblivious to it being there… moral of the story… KIDS ARE NOT as DUMB as you think! Along with second part of the lesson… we didn't do anything with them because we knew and understood the danger of playing with firearms without an adult present.

She screwed up. She lost her son as a result. That is punishment enough in my book. How does the state make things better by locking her up?

I wonder how many of us grew up with parents who kept their firearms in their bedroom closet or in a nightstand beside their bed. Were they hideously negligent, or did the nature of our society fundamentally change?

I wonder how many of us grew up with parents who kept their firearms in their bedroom closet or in a nightstand beside their bed.
I did. Was never a big deal to me then, but Im not so certain things were really different back then other than less population. Id be curious to learn what the method of teen suicide was "back in the day" when it was common to have unsecured guns in the home?

I have LONG said one advantage to a safe, any safe, is liability. Decades before that kook was another kook who got another teen to do a school shoot. That freak used a torch to cut open his Grandfathers safe to get guns. Lawyers tried to go after Grandfather and case was promptly tossed due to the fact the scum had to cut open a safe to get the guns.
Assuming we are getting the real story here, always a crap shoot with legacy media, this is very sad. The Mom paid a VERY heavy price for lack of judgment and will carry that with her the rest of her life now. It is a good warning to others though. Problem being when dealing with a kid that old? There is no gun safe made that would keep that kid out of it. :(
As a locksmith, I disagree--I just paid to have my AMSEC BF series 60x30 safe moved from my shop to the house. It weights 1850lbs empty & security-wise clocks in just under a TL-15.

Thing is people wind up spending under $100 whenever possible and you don't get anykind of secure safe for that little bit of money

Absolute truth-- Us kids 100% knew that Dad would make us permanently sorry if we ever touched his guns
That's how it was in my house growing up! If he didn't explicitly tell you that you could pick it up, you didn't dare pick it up. :s0002:

She screwed up. She lost her son as a result. That is punishment enough in my book. How does the state make things better by locking her up?

I wonder how many of us grew up with parents who kept their firearms in their bedroom closet or in a nightstand beside their bed. Were they hideously negligent, or did the nature of our society fundamentally change?
I know I did along with two siblings that also survived some how, raised two of mine the same way, they also survived.

So your safe is cutting torch proof huh? Amazing. Banks should be using your kind of safe :s0140:
My safe registers just below TL-15--UL gives a TL-15 safe a 15 minute rating, which is fairly substantial in the safe world. I have zero control over which tools a criminal will bring to open my safe but I can guarantee that an angle grinder with a cut-off wheel will take a very long time to slice through a 5" thick safe door

This is the current production copy of my safe. Amsec has cheapened it, as my BF series safe is a first gen &weights almost twice as much

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads