JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Sounds like they are trying to make an example out of someone and she was the one they decided to go after. What will be interesting to watch is when someone "famous" or "powerful" does the same thing she did and they dance all around trying to not charge them.

Well Baldwin is one case. Not a direct comparison.
Wrong state for this law. This is a WA law that went in a while back. This is the first time I have seen them trot it out and try to use it. Kind of hard for me to believe there has not been a single chance to try this since this law went in. Feel really bad for this gal that this happened and that for some reason they are wanting to make an example out of her on top of it. Suspect there is something going on behind the scenes here.

Sounds like they are trying to make an example out of someone and she was the one they decided to go after. What will be interesting to watch is when someone "famous" or "powerful" does the same thing she did and they dance all around trying to not charge them.
Yeah and when that happens money will do what money does... Pay its way out of the spotlight.

Here's the deal, as I see it: If the weapon was issued to her, but the state provided no security vault, per vicarious liability she could file a claim with the state. Eventually.

Depends on the family but if you know your kid has issues, you have to take other precautions. That screwed up Lanza bastage in Connecticut supposedly took the guns from a home safe. Given enough time and effort, a safe at home isn't.

I haven't read the story yet but that's a pretty harsh stance. I think it sounds like she was negligent but, do you know anyone who's lost a child before? Regardless of cause.
You are dealing with a well known troll. They only throw out responses like that to get a reaction out of people. Even if it means dancing on the grave of a troubled kid. Rather sick kind of mind but, its the net. :s0092:

Depends on the family but if you know your kid has issues, you have to take other precautions. That screwed up Lanza bastage in Connecticut supposedly took the guns from a home safe. Given enough time and effort, a safe at home isn't.
I have LONG said one advantage to a safe, any safe, is liability. Decades before that kook was another kook who got another teen to do a school shoot. That freak used a torch to cut open his Grandfathers safe to get guns. Lawyers tried to go after Grandfather and case was promptly tossed due to the fact the scum had to cut open a safe to get the guns.
Assuming we are getting the real story here, always a crap shoot with legacy media, this is very sad. The Mom paid a VERY heavy price for lack of judgment and will carry that with her the rest of her life now. It is a good warning to others though. Problem being when dealing with a kid that old? There is no gun safe made that would keep that kid out of it. :(

I haven't read the story yet but that's a pretty harsh stance. I think it sounds like she was negligent but, do you know anyone who's lost a child before? Regardless of cause.
I guess I was more reacting to the original point of the thread, which was that she was getting charged with a felony because she left a gun accessible to kids. To me that means hideous negligence. Not properly securing weapons with kids around is pretty much the inverse of good gun safety practices in my book.

As to the loss of a child, right. I hope the authorities reduce the charge and plead it to something minimal.

But being that dumb... jeebus... if only we could detect that level of dumb in people before they reproduce...

Not a fan at all of being made to store my firearms a certain way or told how to do so in my home.
Its my home...I know what is best for it...not someone who doesn't live there.
What works well in one home , may not in another....
Safety does not come with a "one size fits all " solution.

With that said....
It is imperative that you truly know your home , who lives in it and take a honest look at your situation...
When it comes to safe firearm storage .
One mistake with a firearm can have life altering consequenses.

Something to consider here is that , yes the boy killed himself with her gun.
However...
I am sure that there are kitchen knives , cleaning chemicals , yard maintenance equipment , electric devices / outlets...
And more than likely given the times we live in , some sort of prescription medicine that would produce the same result...
All in the same home.
Hell , he could have just walked out in front of traffic.

My point with the above is that if someone wants to harm themselves or others...
There are plenty of ways of doing so.
Yet...
I am made to lock up my guns in my home.
Andy

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews