JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Regarding laws mandating safe storage of firearms:

Screen Shot 2022-08-20 at 9.34.14 PM.png

What if he had used a kitchen knife?
She still guilty ?
Is there a safe kitchen knife storage law to be guilty of?

Teens over 15 overwhelmingly commit suicide with guns. Suffocation a distant second and everything else is a small percentage - including kitchen knives. Kids 14 and below favor suffocation with firearms second, and everything else well below that.

Half the teens that commit suicide with guns showed no signs prior, which isn't true of other methods.

So it really isn't the same as a knife.

How would the son dying of an overdose from the mom's drugs be victimless?
Wow. Perhaps because most of you liberals consider drug abuse to be a symptom of a disease (rather than a choice) and maintain that if any drug use is considered to be a criminal offense, there is no victim, as the user is knowingly using the substance. Do I really need to explain this to you? The purposeful obtuseness does not help you make your case.
Half the teens that commit suicide with guns showed no signs prior, which isn't true of other methods.

So it really isn't the same as a knife.
And your point is? If you really want to be transparent, allow that the research clearly indicates that teens serious about committing suicide will gravitate toward an effective mechanism to do so. If you're trying to make the point that firearms are a causal factor in teen suicides, please be honest.

Last Edited:
Wow. Perhaps because most of you liberals consider drug abuse to be a symptom of a disease (rather than a choice) and maintain that if any drug use is considered to be a criminal offense, there is no victim, as the user is knowingly using the substance. Do I really need to explain this to you? The purposeful obtuseness does not help you make your case.
I'm not talking about whether people should be able to take heroin or not, but what happens when they leave it where their kids can get at it. And I asked you what you thought about that, not what a liberal would.

And your point is? If you really want to be transparent, allow that the research clearly indicates that teens serious about committing suicide will gravitate toward an effective mechanism to do so. If you're trying to make the point that firearms are a causal factor in teen suicides, please be honest.
The point is that it has been said in this thread that parents who pay attention will prevent their kid from hurting themselves, but it clearly doesn't work that way half the time with firearms and teen suicide. I don't know if that is causal, and it really doesn't matter. If you're a parent you should be aware that it works that way and not let your politics dictate your parenting. Especially right now with suicide rates climbing.

The death rate in general for kids dropped 2/3s since 1950 and unintentional injury deaths went from half to a third of all those deaths since 1970.

There was no end of stuff killing kids back in the day that have been ameliorated since then
Locking refrigerators: Kids suffocated in these from time to time when I was a kid.
Blasting caps. Mostly causing lost fingers or eyes but there was the occasional fatality(I grew up near oil fields. It was astounding how sloppy blasters were with their tools.)
Peanut and other allergies were lethal for kids before diagnoses improved
Playing in abandoned houses or factories
Rock fights
Diseases like polio, whooping cough, small pox etc.
Gun /knife/garden tool accidents
Poisonings-- Lots of interesting things under the sink and in the garage.
Lack of seat belts in cars and car accidents in general when kids got old enough to drive or ride a motorcycle
'I could go on but you all get the point and I'll also bet that a lot of the geezers on this forum know of some kid who died from one of these causes and has a couple more things to add to my list.
Kids are still dying today but they aren't dying of most of of the things that were killing us back then. I guess modern times call for modern methods.

I'll add swimming in the irrigation canals, getting sucked into the siphon, and drowning.
Or cliff diving headfirst from 75 feet up into the river and hitting a submerged log that got deposited in the winter floods.
Yeah, we lost more than a few buddies that way...

If this incident was about illegal drugs rather than illegally unsecured firearms, would you similarly suggest the mother has paid for her mistake enough?
Yes, if we can assume that she was a mom who loved her kid then yes, she has suffered and will continue to suffer for the rest of her life because of this tragedy. That's penalty enough for me. OTOH, if there's some proof that she hated her kid, knew he was suicidal and left the pills (or gun) for him to find, then yeah, she needs to go to jail.

I fail to see what charging this woman accomplishes. The woman has already paid the biggest price anyone could. And if someone doesn't see the value in securing their firearms from their children, I doubt charging and convicting this woman will change anyone's mind. :rolleyes:

Yes, if we can assume that she was a mom who loved her kid then yes, she has suffered and will continue to suffer for the rest of her life because of this tragedy. That's penalty enough for me. OTOH, if there's some proof that she hated her kid, knew he was suicidal and left the pills (or gun) for him to find, then yeah, she needs to go to jail.
How about an orphan she had neutral feelings about? Probation?

Actually I'm serious The death of her child would be a grievous loss for her. If the orphan's death is a matter of indifference to her, despite her negligence being the cause of said death, then clearly she's a homicidal sociopath and we'll all be better off with her out of general circulation. Then again, what if the orphan was suffering from a terminal disease and only had a lingering, agonizing death waiting for him? Then her leaving the lethal agent out for him may be a kindness, but an act of kindness would mean there wasn't indifference unless she knew the kid was a Catholic and couldn't kill himself because that would be a mortal sin leading to his eternal damnation. That would be truly cruel which returns us to her being a sociopath, better removed from society. Therefore, the only kind thing she could do for that poor, terminally diseased orphan would be to blow his brains out for him. That way she ends his suffering while saving his soul. Unfortunately this non-indifferent, caring, act will get her sent to jail so she's kind of screwed no matter what she does.
I bet that right about now she wishes she'd never said hello to that effed up orphan...

Too bad they didn't buy my safe back when I paid $2,500 for it

Who have I denigrated?
I went back over your posts in this thread and can't any where you denigrated anyone. My apologies. I might have mistaken one of that mazda guy's posts for one of yours, but I don't know how that would have happened; you have very different demeaners. Anyway, sorry about that.

I went back over your posts in this thread and can't any where you denigrated anyone. My apologies. I might have mistaken one of that mazda guy's posts for one of yours, but I don't know how that would have happened; you have very different demeaners. Anyway, sorry about that.
Can you feel the luv tonight...? 😍

OK, this is a sad story to be sure. But if the kid had slashed his wrists with a box cutter he found in the garage? Charge mom with 'unsafe box cutter storage.'

If we had reasonable common sense box cutter control laws in 2001, the Sept. 11 man-caused-disaster would have been prevented and 3,000 Americans would be alive today.

I am sick and tired of this carnage. It is time for box cutter safety now!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top