JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I debated with myself for a bit as to whether or not to post this sad story, taking into consideration our image as gun owners, the golden rule of this site, etc. Ultimately, I decided that this needs to be shared, to remind everyone of the importance of the rules of gun safety. Hopefully none of you need to be reminded about responsible gun ownership and the safety rules, but it never hurts to reinforce them and show you why we stress about them. I hope any and all of you can point out the main rules that, if this guy had followed them, would have saved this young girls life. I know personally, although the rules are habit for me now, I still read and recite them monthly to keep them fresh in my mind. Stay safe guys.

<broken link removed>

MARYSVILLE, Wash. - The father of a 6-year-old girl who was shot while he was cleaning guns has been jailed for investigation of manslaughter.
Investigators say on Sunday night, the girl's father, Richard Peters, was cleaning his guns.

"He had sent the 6-year-old girl up to his bedroom to get a gun out of his nightstand," said Rebecca Hover of the Snohomish County Sheriff's Office.
The gun was a Colt .45 Double Eagle.

Police say during an interview with investigators, Peters told them when his daughter handed him the gun, he pulled out the magazine and pulled the trigger.

The gun fired, and Peters' daughter dropped to the ground. She had been shot in the head.

Investigators say Peters told them that while cleaning his guns, he was drinking vodka, pouring himself multiple double drinks. He told them he was probably too drunk to drive.

"I don't think I have the words to describe the tragedy of this situation and how it just defies all logic and common sense," said Hover.

Investigators say Peters told them he lets all of his kids handle guns, including his 8-year-old and 3-year-old.

The children are in the custody of Child Protective Services.

Investigators say a few weeks ago, Peters accidentally fired a shotgun during a pumpkin "shoot-up" in Darrington. He said he didn't know the gun was loaded.

Peters is in jail on $250,000 bail.

What a sad tragedy. But it puts an emphasis on the four rules of handling firearms. And this is why good shooters stress to ALWAYS check the chamber of a firearm that has been out of your hands, no matter if you just pulled it out of your safe, or if someone hands you a gun to look at.

When writing these stories they always make it seem like it was the guns fault!

" while cleaning his gun " If you just read the title of the story you would think that guns can just fire for no reason. It should have been titled drunken idiot shoots kid.

When writing these stories they always make it seem like it was the guns fault!

" while cleaning his gun " If you just read the title of the story you would think that guns can just fire for no reason. It should have been titled drunken idiot shoots kid.

Well put Sweetbeard. When I took my NRA class to get my CHL, the three things they said repeatedly was. . "point your firearm in a safe direction, never have the gun loaded until ready to fire, and don't put your finger on the trigger until ready to fire." Very easy rules to follow, and it can save a life. Thanks for posting Joey:s0155:

Rule i: All guns are always loaded

rule ii: Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy

rule iii: Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target

rule iv: Be sure of your target

Sad, sad. And so unnecessary on so many levels. Cleaning your guns while drunk, having your 6 year old go retrieve your LOADED handgun, pulling the trigger without checking the chamber...sheesh.

He chose to drink. He chose to continue drinking until he became drunk. As far as I'm concerned, he should bear the full consequences as if he did it stone cold sober. He's a failure as a father, a husband, and a man. It's unfortunate for his surviving children that they will have to grow up without their father around, but I have no doubt they're better off without him.

If you can't handle the responsibility of a firearm, then don't have one.
If you can't handle the responsibility of children, then don't have any.
If you find yourself in a situation where you've got both, you better MAN UP and put your own selfish indulgences on hold until the situation changes.

I was somewhat surprised that this story hadn't been posted on some of the other gun forums ... debated posting it myself, but I think that I, as all of us are, was just rendered thoroughly heartsick by the event and couldn't even begin to articulate our feelings.

It is truly unfortunate that for many people out there, this man will become the face of a NorthWest gun owner. I'm not sure at this point how any of us can work to overcome the images that those thoughout the country who read/view this story will now have of (what they may believe is) a typical American gun owner.

Prayers for the family, and wishes that all who become familiar with the story may understand that this man's daughter became the tragic victim of his monumental criminal stupidity ... and is not the victim of the gun itself.

If you find yourself in a situation where you've got both, you better MAN UP and put your own selfish indulgences on hold until the situation changes.

Tragic. . . . but +1 to the above quote. . .

This guy is a creep. By "creep" I mean all of the adjective phrases that we don't say in polite company and are not allowed to post on this forum.

I hope this man has a long life in prison and a loving cellmate in prison. I am not responding to this story as a just a gun owner, but as a person that works with children and adolescents every day. I am saddened that this person's (not "man's") daughter lost her life at such a young age and had to spend her brief years on this planet in the same house as this drunk, moronic, and thoughtless person (not "father," not "dad", not "guardian").

I was already having a really chitty day, and then this.

He chose to drink. He chose to continue drinking until he became drunk. As far as I'm concerned, he should bear the full consequences as if he did it stone cold sober. He's a failure as a father, a husband, and a man. It's unfortunate for his surviving children that they will have to grow up without their father around, but I have no doubt they're better off without him.

+1 on that!!

:drunk: plus :gun10: equals :nuts:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews