JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
We spent Friday afternoon up on the Peak picking things up in the normal spots. Things weren't too bad, probably because of the snow from the last couple of weeks. Main amount of trash I didn't feel was from shooters, it was from the party crowds qualified by anyone that has a method to cut a few trees, burn a few pallets and drink a lot of alcohol. Except for some 22 cases only found 1 little round of 9mm brass so the pickers have been picking. 2 baseballs though.
Stopped by the quarry on the way out and it was amazingly clean. There were 5-6 bags of trash left at the gate which had me thinking homeless or household trash especially with one having a comforter hanging out of it. But putting them in the trailer one of the bags had that familiar sound of shotgun shells. I didn't go looking in the bags. Hopefully somebody picked up the quarry and just couldn't take the bags. Thinking positive on this.
IMG_37671.jpg IMG_37611.jpg IMG_37641.jpg IMG_37631.jpg IMG_37551.jpg IMG_37561.jpg IMG_37541.jpg IMG_37531.jpg IMG_37701.jpg 20210305_171118.jpg

Last Edited:
We spent Friday afternoon up on the Peak picking things up in the normal spots. Things weren't too bad, probably because of the snow from the last couple of weeks. Main amount of trash I didn't feel was from shooters, it was from the party crowds qualified by anyone that has a method to cut a few trees, burn a few pallets and drink a lot of alcohol. Except for some 22 cases only found 1 little round of 9mm brass so the pickers have been picking. 2 baseballs though.
Stopped by the quarry on the way out and it was amazingly clean. There were 5-6 bags of trash left at the gate which had me thinking homeless or household trash especially with one having a comforter hanging out of it. But putting them in the trailer one of the bags had that familiar sound of shotgun shells. I didn't go looking in the bags. Hopefully somebody picked up the quarry and just couldn't take the bags. Thinking positive on this.
View attachment 838680View attachment 838681View attachment 838682View attachment 838683View attachment 838684View attachment 838685View attachment 838686View attachment 838687View attachment 838688 View attachment 838689
I sure admire your dedication to stewardship and the betterment of public land target shooting, Craig and Tracy! Thank you for your everyday efforts to make us all look good! You two are awesome!

I sure admire your dedication to stewardship and the betterment of public land target shooting, Craig and Tracy! Thank you for your everyday efforts to make us all look good! You two are awesome!

I keep thinking/hoping that if places are kept fairly clean that more people may be inclined to pick up what crap they bring. But when the places are crap holes (Beaver Dam Pit) people just think "WTH?" "I'll just leave it, no one cares anyway"

I keep thinking/hoping that if places are kept fairly clean that more people may be inclined to pick up what crap they bring. But when the places are crap holes (Beaver Dam Pit) people just think "WTH?" "I'll just leave it, no one cares anyway"

It does seem to be a bit of a catch 22, if we clean up these areas, then many will think it's being taken care of so why worry about pick up after themselves, and if we don't keep them clean, these same people will think WTF why should I care if nobody else does. Add to this a surge, apparently State wide, of people dumping domestic trash in the woods. This has always happened, but never at the level we're seeing now. I suspect it's a sign of recent times, with record numbers of people hitting rock bottom, a lot of whom are either finding themselves living out of their cars or not being able to afford utility bills, and all of a sudden they got trash and no trash services. Doesn't make it right, but hopefully this trend will recede when the economy starts up again. Hopefully.

It does seem to be a bit of a catch 22, if we clean up these areas, then many will think it's being taken care of so why worry about pick up after themselves, and if we don't keep them clean, these same people will think WTF why should I care if nobody else does. Add to this a surge, apparently State wide, of people dumping domestic trash in the woods. This has always happened, but never at the level we're seeing now. I suspect it's a sign of recent times, with record numbers of people hitting rock bottom, a lot of whom are either finding themselves living out of their cars or not being able to afford utility bills, and all of a sudden they got trash and no trash services. Doesn't make it right, but hopefully this trend will recede when the economy starts up again. Hopefully.

Agreed. I was pondering maybe putting up some "Yard Sign" type things on the side of the road on the last leg up the hill to the ranges? Those wire stands that get stuck in everyone's lawns close to an election? Considering all the GD Propaganda forced upon us with the rona. Seems it works, you see people wearing face-diapers while alone in their cars? Why wouldn't propaganda signs by the road put the bug to clean up their mess in their minds on the way to the lanes? Just a thought.

I was pondering maybe putting up some "Yard Sign" type things on the side of the road on the last leg up the hill to the ranges?
That's not a bad idea. Worth a try, anyway. Of course, there's always those types who will want to use them for a target.

That's not a bad idea. Worth a try, anyway. Of course, there's always those types who will want to use them for a target.

Considering where I'm thinking by the road side that last couple hundred yards before the range? Think "Burma Shave' signs, maybe, maybe not? And not a lot of money involved?
DERP, i was thinking I was on the North Fork Wolf Creek lanes thread! :s0140: Hey is something you could use anywhere?

And the sign said
"Long-haired freaky people
Need not apply"

Sign, sign
Everywhere a sign
Blockin' out the scenery
Breakin' my mind
Do this, don't do that
Can't you read the sign?

Yeah, when it comes to keeping the forest clean, I just wish people would actually do what the sign said!

And the sign said
"Anybody caught trespassin'
Will be shot on sight"

View attachment 838680View attachment 838681View attachment 838682View attachment 838683View attachment 838684View attachment 838685View attachment 838686View attachment 838687View attachment 838688 View attachment 838689

Last time we were up there the quarry was under 6-8 inches of snow. We went sledding and I didn't even bring any guns. There was a lot of winter traffic, but most people don't want to march the quarter mile up the road in ankle deep heavy snow. Glad it was clean.

Being fairly new to the area, I don't know how to find the other berm. I am hoping to get up there soon, and will make sure to bring extra trash bags.

Thanks for keeping it clean!

Wife and I spent the early morning up on the Peak picking things up some. The quarry wasn't too bad. We picked up the parking lot. A lot of general trash, some card board and a lot of shot shells even though the sign says "Don't shoot here". The 3 spots down the 3000 road yielded 3 bags of trash and a poor Costco table that some left with their targets on. Other pictures are from Alsea Falls which we drove through on the way home. Wetter than expected but still a great morning. Didn't even shoot a round. 20210502_082902.jpg 20210502_082941.jpg 20210502_085940.jpg 20210502_085946.jpg 20210502_092223.jpg 20210502_094008.jpg 20210502_094019.jpg 20210502_094026.jpg 20210502_102911.jpg 20210502_103018.jpg 20210502_103030.jpg 20210502_103125.jpg 20210502_103148.jpg

What is this, Craig? Is that really a mound of gravel in the middle? What a tiney little backstop! I hope it's not! If so, it should be removed or people will try to shoot into it. What's beyond that area?

Craig & Tracy 5-2-21 1.jpg

This one of the spots down the 3000 line. The landing is on a hill. It is a poor picture but the little mound in the middle is the "fire pit". If you zoom up there is a debris berm on the left side that people use for a backstop. It is a poor choice because of all the wood debris plus if you shoot over which a lot of people do, the bullet can go for a ways towards ??. I think people thow clay pigeons off the edges also because there are a lot of shot shells on occasion. The road is posted with a 18 inch sign that says "Unsafe shooting area" that I believe Al put up 2 years ago. I will avoid my soap box speech.
I have to admit, a little extra work but the lawn rake really makes a difference on cleaning up landings.

This one of the spots down the 3000 line. The landing is on a hill. It is a poor picture but the little mound in the middle is the "fire pit". If you zoom up there is a debris berm on the left side that people use for a backstop. It is a poor choice because of all the wood debris plus if you shoot over which a lot of people do, the bullet can go for a ways towards ??. I think people thow clay pigeons off the edges also because there are a lot of shot shells on occasion. The road is posted with a 18 inch sign that says "Unsafe shooting area" that I believe Al put up 2 years ago. I will avoid my soap box speech.
I have to admit, a little extra work but the lawn rake really makes a difference on cleaning up landings.
Hmmm... Yeah, perhaps that slash pile should be removed. There shouldn't be anything that resembles a shooting place. Remove the temptation! Even the sign shouldn't say "... shooting area". It should probably say "Illegal to shoot here. Fines imposed" or something like that.

Another lovely evening up on the Peak. My favorite area had less than a bag of trash. We got the location of the berm that needs to be removed. Tracy wanted to try removing the berm with the shovel she brought. We pushed some logs off it but I told her it would be summer before she was done. Good effort though. Time to bring in the big equipment. Found a bunch of trash in another area that is hidden from the road under the powerlines.
The quarry was too busy for me. Didnt even walk back there. Did see a person carrying his targets out which gave a small glimmer of hope.
Picked up a half bag of shotgun shells off a landing in an area that we have never been to. Nice Saturday evening. IMG_39051.jpg
The stump and hill are the back stop. This spot is well hidden.
IMG_39071.jpg
The garbage left by some "target shooters".
IMG_39031.jpg
You can see how far the bullet would fly if you missed high on the berm.
IMG_39021.jpg
Trees that were half shot up then the wind took them over.
20210508_173815.jpg 20210508_165042.jpg 20210508_182357.jpg
People were shooting skeet off this landing. Also decided no matter how big the deer was during hunting season, I wont be hunting this canyon.

Another lovely evening up on the Peak. My favorite area had less than a bag of trash. We got the location of the berm that needs to be removed. Tracy wanted to try removing the berm with the shovel she brought. We pushed some logs off it but I told her it would be summer before she was done. Good effort though. Time to bring in the big equipment. Found a bunch of trash in another area that is hidden from the road under the powerlines.
The quarry was too busy for me. Didnt even walk back there. Did see a person carrying his targets out which gave a small glimmer of hope.
Picked up a half bag of shotgun shells off a landing in an area that we have never been to. Nice Saturday evening. View attachment 879840
The stump and hill are the back stop. This spot is well hidden.
View attachment 879841
The garbage left by some "target shooters".
View attachment 879842
You can see how far the bullet would fly if you missed high on the berm.
View attachment 879839
Trees that were half shot up then the wind took them over.
View attachment 879844View attachment 879845 View attachment 879843
People were shooting skeet off this landing. Also decided no matter how big the deer was during hunting season, I wont be hunting this canyon.
That's a much better photo of the brush pile in back. Sounds like we got BLM's attention about that and I hope they do something to remove it. We may need to help with that, but currently waiting to hear of their plans. It looks like a place to put your targets, yet it's a fire hazard and not an earthen berm backstop. Therefore, it's an illegal backstop. Best remove the temptation and hopefully people won't think it's a place to shoot.

Great spirit, Tracy! You're on the right track!

Was up on Mary's Peak yesterday, beautiful day, but the quarry halfway up was a mess. We took out two trash bags and a bucket full of brass, but it felt like we barely made a dent. I wish I could have done more, but my daughter was done, and I wanted her to have a good experience for her first time shooting. (It was a good day.) Hopefully I can make the fall clean up.
Still don't know where the places off 3000 road are, do they have more shade? The sun was brutal.

Was up on Mary's Peak yesterday, beautiful day, but the quarry halfway up was a mess. We took out two trash bags and a bucket full of brass, but it felt like we barely made a dent. I wish I could have done more, but my daughter was done, and I wanted her to have a good experience for her first time shooting. (It was a good day.) Hopefully I can make the fall clean up.
Still don't know where the places off 3000 road are, do they have more shade? The sun was brutal.
Thanks, Rev! It all helps! Wish more folks like you would do that more often!

You know, you could get a Bronze Membership for that! Next time take a pic of 3 bags of trash and your NWFA user name on a piece of cardboard and post it in the 3 Bags thread: https://www.northwestfirearms.com/threads/3-bags-of-trash-nwfa-bronze-membership.98125/

I'm sure @Rem700..300 can help you out with places on the 3000 road.

Bill

Resource discussions are for general chit-chat. Use the buttons near the top to ask a question or write a review for this resource.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top