JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Hey so dumb question: last time I headed up to mary's peak, I saw they had posted an unsafe target shooting area sign right off the parking lot. Does anyone know if the quarry area is still good to shoot or has the whole thing been closed off?

The quarry is fine to shoot in. There has been a lot of uninformed people that shoot out of the parking lot into the grassy area and leave their garbage or worse they shoot towards the gate. This is bad when people are walking out. People have almost been in the line of fire.

The quarry is fine to shoot in. There has been a lot of uninformed people that shoot out of the parking lot into the grassy area and leave their garbage or worse they shoot towards the gate. This is bad when people are walking out. People have almost been in the line of fire.

I checked out the spot yesterday. (Thank you for the directions, the gps point shown is wildly off.) Found a ton of casings along the access road just after the gate. Looks like some people were shooting along the gravel road into a berm at the corner. I'd hate to be heading back from the pit while they were at it...

Thank you. I have walked into that before coming back from the pit. It is even scarier when they are in the parking lot.shooting towards the gate because you do see it and they dont see you. You just see the where the bullets are hitting. Hence the new sign.
Hope you had a good time and left your 30.06, 308 and 300 win mag casings where I could find them

With hunting season winding down we managed to sneak in a clean-up of the 4 areas off the 3000 road.
Pumpkins, Cardboard, Propane cylinders, household trash, human waste and shotgun shell hulls were the theme of the day. The pumpkins stayed but brought home half a pickup load of other stuff. At the quarry somebody shot up a portable air conditioner unit and computer monitor and left it out front by the parking lot for the public to see along with some tpye of glass picture even though it is posted. We picked up the road back to the quarry until my garage bag was full. Didnt get any quarry pictures.
The quarry really needs a clean up so going to see what I can arrange for January. Not the best time but as a quote I heard on a hunting show once. "The only reason most weather is bad is a poor choice in clothing". As long as it isnt covered in snow and ice lets get it picked up.

IMG_33671.jpg IMG_33621.jpg
IMG_33611.jpg
IMG_33681.jpg
IMG_33641.jpg

Good for you guys. Sad times for sure, watching other gun owners crap in their own camps. :( But then look at the examples the cities provide. Like the two homeless camps set up within a block of my house? One of them, within eye sight of my front yard, just a few tents with some minor garbage around. The other camp, several vehicles on the street with garbage strew about all over the sidewalk and stacks of rubbish 5' high surrounding the vehicles. Maybe that's why I feel extremely sensitive to the rubbish left in the forests? The cities are where the bubblegum is piled high, not the forests.

Alright people, we have the go ahead with the clean up. I want to do a weekend in January. Yes predicting the snow and ice will be difficult. If it is just rain we are going to go for it. Just keep those blued guns and home and bring the stainless.
So for the people that want to help please reply.
January 9, 16 or 23. We will pick the weekend that we can get the most help. I will have Bill post this on Facebook and the TNL web page. I will pick the weekend and let everyone know but mid-December. This will be a get there at 8am or close to it and go to noon at the latest. No lunch or after party unless people want to walk back in. Law enforcement either BLM or Benton county will open the gate so we can get a few trucks back in the quarry to haul the stuff out. They will also "close" the pit so we don't have to put up with mouthy people that want to shoot. Only ran into 2 bad apples up there in many years but with Covid people are a little on edge so didn't want to take any chances. We will haul it to the dump and pay. We can call this our charity event. As it stands now I believe I can get most of it in my truck and trailer so if 1 more person helped haul we would be golden. We are going to focus on the entrance road and South side of the pit where all the crud blows to. It is starting to go over the edge out into the trees. The West side because it butts up against private property. Then focus on the North side road/flat spot that goes behind the quarry. If we have some younger folk that really like "hill climbing" the North side is extremely steep and is covered in shotgun shells. It can be "Fun" for them. I have a ton of good trash bags from BLM so we are good there. Just bring warm clothes and we are going to get wet unless we get lucky.
Hope to get at least 8-10 people. If we get that many it will go quick.
Thanks
Craig

Alright people, we have the go ahead with the clean up. I want to do a weekend in January. Yes predicting the snow and ice will be difficult. If it is just rain we are going to go for it. Just keep those blued guns and home and bring the stainless.
So for the people that want to help please reply.
January 9, 16 or 23. We will pick the weekend that we can get the most help. I will have Bill post this on Facebook and the TNL web page. I will pick the weekend and let everyone know but mid-December. This will be a get there at 8am or close to it and go to noon at the latest. No lunch or after party unless people want to walk back in. Law enforcement either BLM or Benton county will open the gate so we can get a few trucks back in the quarry to haul the stuff out. They will also "close" the pit so we don't have to put up with mouthy people that want to shoot. Only ran into 2 bad apples up there in many years but with Covid people are a little on edge so didn't want to take any chances. We will haul it to the dump and pay. We can call this our charity event. As it stands now I believe I can get most of it in my truck and trailer so if 1 more person helped haul we would be golden. We are going to focus on the entrance road and South side of the pit where all the crud blows to. It is starting to go over the edge out into the trees. The West side because it butts up against private property. Then focus on the North side road/flat spot that goes behind the quarry. If we have some younger folk that really like "hill climbing" the North side is extremely steep and is covered in shotgun shells. It can be "Fun" for them. I have a ton of good trash bags from BLM so we are good there. Just bring warm clothes and we are going to get wet unless we get lucky.
Hope to get at least 8-10 people. If we get that many it will go quick.
Thanks
Craig
Okay, Rem, I'm in. Just let us know what date you pick and hope the weather is good. Who says no lunch? I just might be inclined to Q-up a couple dogs or so. Guess we'll see as time gets closer.

It'll be great to see the LEO's again! I really like George Dawn, BLM Police. He's a great guy! Would be nice to see Al Schimerhorn, Benton Co. Sheriff's Depute, but I think he's retired now. Would like to see how his replacement stacks up!

This time, it would be great to get a chance to shoot with the cops. Seems like we always just head home after the cleanup and everyone is too tired to shoot!

Thanks for heading this up!

Bill

Clean Up Alert!!!!!!!
We are going to shoot(no pun intended) for January 16th 2021 and 8AM. We will go until it is cleaned up or people are tired. Law enforcement will let some trucks back so we can haul the garbage out. They will close the Pit so we don't have to worry about other people want to shoot. Afterwards if we want we can have lunch in the parking lot and then go back in and shoot. Here is the flyer. Please let me know if you are coming so I can keep a running head count.
Thank You! Slide1.JPG

Clean Up Alert!!!!!!!
We are going to shoot(no pun intended) for January 16th 2021 and 8AM. We will go until it is cleaned up or people are tired. Law enforcement will let some trucks back so we can haul the garbage out. They will close the Pit so we don't have to worry about other people want to shoot. Afterwards if we want we can have lunch in the parking lot and then go back in and shoot. Here is the flyer. Please let me know if you are coming so I can keep a running head count.
Thank You!View attachment 789528
Hey Craig, I'd like to attend and don't see any reason I can't, so you can expect me there, I'll let you know if something comes up.

Clean Up Alert!!!!!!!
Thank You!View attachment 789528

I would be down, even more so if I could snag a ride from someone since my 86 toyota bubblegumbox is relegated to work commuting. Could also probably finagle some friends into coming.

Alright we are into January now so time to start getting serious to line this up and make it happen. Date will be January 16 on Mary's Peak obviously at about the 4 mile mark up Mary's Peak Road. The clean up will be behind the gate in the quarry. Law enforcement will open the gate so we can get some trucks back there to haul out the garbage. So far the following people have committed or expressed interest: @citizen a @Cogs @Cosimel @madladchad @loadzz @Wood Worker. It would be nice to get a few more mid-valley folks up there to help. I am thinking with about 10 people it should take less than 3-4 hours depending on the amount of visitation that takes place. If the weather is decent we can cook up some burgers in the parking lot if there is interest. I will bring my bag of gifts from 2020 that didn't get used. Might even throw in a box of that coveted stuff(9mm) for a raffle prize that makes normal adults look like crack heads leaving Sportsman when they get their 2 boxes. Unless it snows we are going to do this so find your rain gear.
Mary's Peak 2021.jpg

Resource discussions are for general chit-chat. Use the buttons near the top to ask a question or write a review for this resource.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top