JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Thanks for info. Wife and I try to keep up on the areas up there. The quarry is too big for the 2 of us but we clean all the other areas when we can. We have an annual clean-up at the quarry. Glad you had a great time. Long trip from Portland.

Thanks for info. Wife and I try to keep up on the areas up there. The quarry is too big for the 2 of us but we clean all the other areas when we can. We have an annual clean-up at the quarry. Glad you had a great time. Long trip from Portland.
Definitely thanks I took a 5 gal bucket of trash and shells. Completely understandable that it's hard to keep up

The MP Pit needs your help! Trash accumulates quickly up there and needs constant upkeep. Please pack a trash bag or two with you when you go. Everyone appreciates a stewardship effort. Thanks!

Four of us did a little grass roots effort at the parking area to raise awareness for being responsible. I posted the results in Info for shooting on public lands thead in the Outdoor Section: Info for shooting on public lands...

Thanks @Cogs and @Cosimel for coming down. Actually felt hopeful after talking with everyone yesterday. I think it is the after hours crowd that does a majority of the damage litter wise. Fortunately that area doesn't get the crowd the Wolf Creek area does. That was more people than I had seen in a while up there. It was fun to see the MG club go by and the Triumph club. Hope everyone had a safe trip home.

I think it is the after hours crowd that does a majority of the damage litter wise.
All the more reason for us responsible ones to haul out what we can during the daytime. I hate covering for the after hours crowd and the idiots who ruin our shooting sports, but if we want to save public land shooting and show our appreciation for it, we gotta do what we can.

While we were hanging around in the parking lot, we cleaned it up. It didn't look bad but when you gather it all up into a trash bag, it's surprising how much there was!

Yep, thanks Rem, Tracy and Cosimel! All 3 of you are consistent in the ongoing efforts to save and improve recreational shooting.

Bill

Do to the ease of it's accessibility I tend to steer clear of Mary's when it's busy. It's where all the lazy's tend to congregate. There are a few spots up in the Alsea unit that I clean up with my son. The worst of them seem to come in from Toledo and out 1000 Line Rd. A majority of shooters and road hunters don't even realize if they're on BLM, private, or Forest land. I've yet to see any other rigs I encounter around Mary's or in the Alsea unit with credentials from Starker or Weyerhaeuser. Apparently I'm the only truck out there with proper paper work, ATV, and Forest passes. On the plus side two weeks ago I picked up close to 300 rounds of annealed, once fired, Lake City brass. I'll de-cap, swage and throw it in the potential 300BO bucket to be cut down.

Haven't been out the 1000 line in years. Lately the cardboard and McDonald's types have been leaving a fair share of garbage up on the Peak. Amazingly no brass though. Might do a clean-up run next week if anyone wants to join.

Last Edited:
It was canceled for a variety of reasons. I was planning on an informal clean up assault on the shooting areas once things open up and the fire danger goes down. I will keep your name handy.
Thanks
Craig

Put me on the list as well. You have any recent pics as to how it looks? The cleanup last year was much easier than the year prior when we discovered someone's, ahem, "inanimate romantic partner", discarded in the bushes.

The last time up there was about a month and a half ago. 6 people would probably take less than 3 hours depending on how picky you are with the shotgun hulls. There seems to be other people/groups helping now also. Dont know who they are and havent seen them but I have had a few trips earlier go to pick stuff up that I know was there at other shooting areas and get there and it is all picked up. It is a good feeling. Will keep you on the list.
Thank you
Craig

The last time up there was about a month and a half ago. 6 people would probably take less than 3 hours depending on how picky you are with the shotgun hulls. There seems to be other people/groups helping now also. Dont know who they are and havent seen them but I have had a few trips earlier go to pick stuff up that I know was there at other shooting areas and get there and it is all picked up. It is a good feeling. Will keep you on the list.
Thank you
Craig
Do you know if that location is still available to go shooting now that the smokes died down?

By looking at the Siuslaw National Forrest web site it looks 50/50 if it is open. The rock pit everyone shoots at is actually BLM. If we get the heavy rains it will help. I would call the Corvallis office first just to be safe. I wouldn't feel comfortable with out calling first
Thanks

By looking at the Siuslaw National Forrest web site it looks 50/50 if it is open. The rock pit everyone shoots at is actually BLM. If we get the heavy rains it will help. I would call the Corvallis office first just to be safe. I wouldn't feel comfortable with out calling first
Thanks
Who would I call? I'm from the Salem area so I'm not used to the corvallis area.

Resource discussions are for general chit-chat. Use the buttons near the top to ask a question or write a review for this resource.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top