JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Find members that will take you as a guest to Albany Rifle & Pistol Club. I wouldn't waste the time driving over to Mary's Peak because 99.7% of the time the gate to the pit is locked.
From reading the QA on Mary's peak, it looks like alot of people said that the gate is always locked, and they just park down below and hoof it in.

Is this no longer an option?

Or is it a long trek just to even get to where its walkable?

Probably just find some USFS roads with some sort of back stop if that's the case.

Either way thanks for the reply.

@PaulF Just to ad a little more to the discussion regarding Mary's Peak and other similar semi/limited public shooting areas. I will always promote the clean up efforts but I want folks to take the time to ask themselves. Do I really want to be subjected to the kind of scum that are willing to leave their trash, showing up potentially encroaching or trying to wiggle into my established space or shooting in my immediate vicinity? If they can't be trusted to pick up their garbage you can't trust that they wont be sweeping you or shooting in your general direction. Be safe out there and hopefully you can join or find a club to guest shoot at before having to seek out the hillbilly gun ranges.

Last Edited:
@PaulF Just to ad a little more to discussion regarding Mary's Peak and other similar semi/limited public shooting areas. I will always promote the clean up efforts but I want folks to take the time to ask themselves. Do I really want to be subjected to the kind of scum that are willing to leave their trash, showing up potentially encroaching or trying to wiggle into my established space or shooting in my immediate vicinity? I they can't be trusted to pick up their garbage you can't trust that they wont be sweeping you or shooting in your general direction. Be safe out there and hopefully you can join or find a club to guest shoot at before having to seek out the hillbilly gun ranges.
I see what your saying, I've never shot at an actual range, or gun club or whatever. Growing up i learned to shoot and safely handle firearms from both of my grandpas who were both veterans, and both taught me to always leave ot nicer then when you found.

As for not going out because of the methhead/hillbilly/tweeker scum, i won't avoid someplace just because "bad people" might be there. I'm not reckless by any means, but refuse to let the lowest common denominators dictate how, when, or where I live my life.

As far as unsafe muzzling. And potential for NDs the stories ice heard about public ranges don't sound like they're any safer in that aspect, especially places that rent out guns to inexperienced shooters.

We always to hillbilly ranges with group and we always have at least one designated guy who kind of serves as our "unofficial range officer", and keeps an eye on other people in the area.

If it seems unsafe there are always alternative spots further up the road.

I see what your saying, I've never shot at an actual range, or gun club or whatever. Growing up i learned to shoot and safely handle firearms from both of my grandpas who were both veterans, and both taught me to always leave ot nicer then when you found.

As for not going out because of the methhead/hillbilly/tweeker scum, i won't avoid someplace just because "bad people" might be there. I'm not reckless by any means, but refuse to let the lowest common denominators dictate how, when, or where I live my life.

As far as unsafe muzzling. And potential for NDs the stories ice heard about public ranges don't sound like they're any safer in that aspect, especially places that rent out guns to inexperienced shooters.

We always to hillbilly ranges with group and we always have at least one designated guy who kind of serves as our "unofficial range officer", and keeps an eye on other people in the area.

Paul,
In answer to your question. Mary's Peak is about an hour drive from Albany. It is a beautiful setting for some plinking. About halfway up just before a little saddle, you will find a parking lot on your left. Park there, unload your stuff into a wagon (or backpacks if it will all fit.) The road is gated and I think we can be thankful it is; however it is only a 1/4 mile walk to the quarry. I usually bring a table, chairs, and 3 extra trash bags in addition to my shooting supplies. My daughter loves to come with me.
There is another berm down road 3000, but I don't know the exact location. I just use the quarry.

As for the other element. I have only ever seen one other shooter up there, but I go in the mornings midweek. He was considerate and safe. If I went up there and heard lots of shooting, I might think twice about staying, but it would depend on who it is and how they are acting.

I wonder if from Albany it wouldn't be just as easy to go into the Willamette National Forest to find either a quarry dugout or an abandoned road with a steep bullet stop. You would need a good map, though, so that you wouldn't accidently be on leased logging land.

Safe shooting. Have a great day.

Paul,
In answer to your question. Mary's Peak is about an hour drive from Albany. It is a beautiful setting for some plinking. About halfway up just before a little saddle, you will find a parking lot on your left. Park there, unload your stuff into a wagon (or backpacks if it will all fit.) The road is gated and I think we can be thankful it is; however it is only a 1/4 mile walk to the quarry. I usually bring a table, chairs, and 3 extra trash bags in addition to my shooting supplies. My daughter loves to come with me.
There is another berm down road 3000, but I don't know the exact location. I just use the quarry.

As for the other element. I have only ever seen one other shooter up there, but I go in the mornings midweek. He was considerate and safe. If I went up there and heard lots of shooting, I might think twice about staying, but it would depend on who it is and how they are acting.

I wonder if from Albany it wouldn't be just as easy to go into the Willamette National Forest to find either a quarry dugout or an abandoned road with a steep bullet stop. You would need a good map, though, so that you wouldn't accidently be on leased logging land.

Safe shooting. Have a great day.
Awesome thanks for the info.

I like the cut of your jib. Welcome to NWFA!

Mary's peak is a really nice place to shoot. But…I have to say it looked in very rough shape this past Thursday the 7th. I really wouldn't be surprised if I find the area closed the next time I go. I don't understand the mindset that results in that level of selfishness and carelessness.

Mary's peak is a really nice place to shoot. But…I have to say it looked in very rough shape this past Thursday the 7th. I really wouldn't be surprised if I find the area closed the next time I go. I don't understand the mindset that results in that level of selfishness and carelessness.
Wow! First post after being here for a year!
I think there are a lot more people now that aren't gun folks just going up to remote places and dumping their garbage. It's hell living in the cities since the rona hit. I know Wifey and I have used the outdoors away from the city to get away. Were not taking guns to shoot. Or garbage. I think (more) dirt bags are getting out of town and using it as an excuse to dump what ever was piling up around the "abode"

I ended up not even going to Mary's peak, the family I was going shooting with decided to come down to Springfield, so I just took them to a spot out HWY36 west of Cheshire instead.

I'll likely still head out marys peak eventually and probably bring a couple extra trash bags when I do.

I don't ever fully clean up others mess but I always pack 100% of my targets and other trash out, and as much brass as I can find (not always 100%) but it try.

And ill usually haul out some extra garbage while I'm at it.

But I drive a Honda civic and many of these places are so loaded down with junk that ot wouldn't all fit if tried.

But with the exception of a few missed shell casings I always leave better then before I came

We went up Marys Peak this afternoon to see how it was looking after the reports above. Also to do a little hunting. The gravel berm down the 3000 line was a mess. We picked it up. 3 large bags and a bunch of lumber scraps. The landing just downhill of the powerlines had a tent and trailer that looked like it had been there a while. Going to call it in tomorrow. We didnt go back to the quarry because it had a bunch of people shooting. Had a good time hunting. 6 does. 1 poor little girl only had 3 legs but looked healthy and it wasnt fresh. See attatched pictures.
After hunting season I will get a quarry clean up organized.
And we got to actually shoot the new to us revolver. S&W 617. 20211014_155842.jpg IMG_4599.jpg 20211014_162253.jpg 20211014_164627.jpg IMG_4608.jpg IMG_4612.jpg 20211014_162225.jpg

We went up Marys Peak this afternoon to see how it was looking after the reports above. Also to do a little hunting. The gravel berm down the 3000 line was a mess. We picked it up. 3 large bags and a bunch of lumber scraps. The landing just downhill of the powerlines had a tent and trailer that looked like it had been there a while. Going to call it in tomorrow. We didnt go back to the quarry because it had a bunch of people shooting. Had a good time hunting. 6 does. 1 poor little girl only had 3 legs but looked healthy and it wasnt fresh. See attatched pictures.
And we got to actually shoot the new to us revolver. S&W 617.View attachment 1050994View attachment 1050988View attachment 1050992View attachment 1050991View attachment 1050990View attachment 1050989View attachment 1050993
People suck, but there are still some good ones, thanks for picking up, I will definitely haul a load (what I can) if I ever make it up there.

Might head that way when my shotgun comes in, but might just stick closer to home too.

And we got to actually shoot the new to us revolver. S&W 617.View attachment 1050994View attachment 1050988View attachment 1050992View attachment 1050991View attachment 1050990View attachment 1050989View attachment 1050993
You might be able to sell that plywood? A person could trim out the shot parts and use it for something. And some of the other looks like some decent wood to help heat a home. Put any of it that isn't shredded shards out front with a "FREE" sign on it! It'd be gone in a few hours where I live, here in potland. No sense in paying dump fees if your area is becoming one big dump!

Were you at the main quarry?
Thank you for the heads up.
I will try for something in December if that works for most thst follow this thread.
Craig
I would love to head up there for a clean up. Have an interview for a new job Wednesday, so my schedule could end up drastically different, right now I'm an independent contractor, and set my own schedule, but jobs are getting scarce and so are funds, but the more heads up y'all can given the more likely id be to be able to show up.

I can also possibly bring 2 helpers. (Again if the scheduling lines up) they both work 12 hour overnight shifts and are limited in free time.

Keep us posted.

Were you at the main quarry?
Thank you for the heads up.
I will try for something in December if that works for most that follow this thread.
Craig
Yeah it was at the main quarry, there was a fair but of left-over target trash on both the upper and lower pits. It would be nice if they let us drive a truck up into the pits to save us the walk. Availability for me is mostly on the weekends - but pretty spotty throughout the rest of the month.

I have never been able to find this place... Tried twice, and both times GPS didn't know what I wanted and I had no idea what I was looking for. Would like to try to get up there once before I leave the area. I need to zero my weapons anyway. DM me if anyone would be down to show me the way and/or just go together sometime this month.

@Mark. Go up Mary's Peak road off of highway 34. It is about 4ish miles up. I have always been told the gps mark is off aways. You will see a big paved parking lot on the left as you drive up. There will be a gravel access road beside it. You will walk around a big yellow gate and then walk back about 400 yards. Basically follow the trash.
To all that are interested, I will try to get a key and plan a weekend either mid-December or mid January. If we go in Dec the group will probably be smaller. And will happen no matter the weather is doing unless it snows. I will be all in.
If we want mid January we can plan a shoot and a lunch if we want. Snow will be the only show stopper.
I have trailer and we will haul the garbage out ourselves. We can get the pit shutdown so we dont have to worry about other shooters until we are done. Please send a reply with your time that works best.
Thanks
Craig

Last Edited:
Resource discussions are for general chit-chat. Use the buttons near the top to ask a question or write a review for this resource.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top