Northwest Firearms
After 1.jpg
Before 1.jpg
After 1.jpg Before 1.jpg
  1. Northwest Firearms

Northwest Firearms
    Pacific Northwest
    Site Maintenance Bronze Supporter

This thread is for the general discussion of the outdoor shooting area Mary's Peak. Please add to the discussion here.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2018
  2. Baseacegoku

Baseacegoku
    Albany, Oregon

Was at Mary's Peak today. Had a great time until a bunch of kids showed up and started blasting away. Cleaned up our area along with as much extra trash as we could carry and got out of there quickly.

Cogs likes this.
  3. CountyCorsair

CountyCorsair
    Corvallis
    Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter 2018 Volunteer

4. Mikej

Mikej
    Portland
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer 2017 Volunteer 2018 Volunteer

Depressing isn't it? :(

5. Gene Rojas

Gene Rojas
    Keizer in my mind

I'm coming up for my Mom's birthday next week- looking for public land to shoot on near Salem. I usually bring my own target panels, steel for shooting too, so I pack out what I shoot up. The mess is pretty typical, even down in the Mojave in CA (Federal land)- I try to keep it clean too.

Geno

AMT likes this.
  6. Rem700..300

Rem700..300
    Albany Oregon
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter Bronze Supporter 2018 Volunteer

If that is the area we cleaned in June Or July that is real bad. From my experience up there you either get the younger crowd that in most cases have their first gun or guns or it is bubba central with the spray and pray mentality. But you see more and more trash everywhere not just the forest so it is more a societal problem I think. It might help if dump/garbage rates werent so high also. Might have to make it back up to the areas we go and haul out a load.

7. CountyCorsair

CountyCorsair
    Corvallis
    Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter 2018 Volunteer

It is, I was planning on going up there sometime soon and was going to pack out some more trash.

Rem700..300 and Baseacegoku like this.
  8. Rem700..300

Rem700..300
    Albany Oregon

Hi Corsair.
    We picked up about half of the freezer that you took the foam pictures of. I tan out of room in the truck. Got to 2 of the sites off the Harlen turn off and got most of it. Left 2 big piles. If I had a trailer we could have got it. Found 2 more sites. 1 we cleaned and the second I was out of room. I think someone was living on the upper powerline. The was carpet, tent clothes stove 5000 shotgun shells and a bag of white powdery stuff that I still have a minor head ache from. The wind hit with some fumes. Someone is living at one of the pullouts where people shoot. Let me know if you go up. I will go with you. Im going to post my pics on the trash forum.

CountyCorsair, Baseacegoku and Cogs like this.
  9. Rem700..300

Rem700..300
    Albany Oregon

Had a great little exploretory drive up on the peak this afternoon . Great weather, no animals but the flowers were out. Went to our old shooting area since we hadn't been back there since December sometime. What a pig hole. We got most of it except an area we werent dressed for. The other areas down where we go are pretty bad also considering the forest deputy posted them a while ago as unsafe to shoot. Even his sign was shot a few times. The main area at the first pass was as bad as I've seen it ever. Grabbed the big stuff to finish filling the truck. Hopefully Deputy Al will plan another clean up. As bad as it looks on the fire arm community wouldnt be surprised if people will say no more soon. Kind of irritated with it right now. The last one was when we were done with the first area. 20180420_190804.jpg 20180420_173624.jpg 20180420_142614.jpg 20180420_155749.jpg

Mikej and Dyjital like this.
  10. Alchemist

Alchemist
    Corvallis OR

About two weeks ago I went up to Mary's peak for the first time. It is a great place, it has a lot of potential but it is completely trashed, I thought that North Wolf Creek was dirty but Mary's peak beats it, the only picture I have doesn't show the scale of the problem. I saw big and small gas tanks, paint thinner cans, soda bottles, computer parts, metal plates and a ton of other stuff.

I would love to clean it up a little bit but I won't be able to do this on my own, I have a small hatchback and no place to dump that trash after cleaning it up from the range.

Also, the gate on the road leading directly to the shooting spot was closed and locked, I left my car on that big parking lot and walked from there. But when I got there this morning, the gate was open but there was a big sign that said something like "This area is closed for shooting Mon-Fri 5am to 3pm for safety of the workers". Anybody knows anything about Mary's peak trash.jpg that?

Rem700..300 likes this.
  11. Rem700..300

Rem700..300
    Albany Oregon

Hi Alchemist
    Yes it is trashed. The area gets a lot of use and amazingly all that garbage is hauled back there before it is left. The gate is normally locked and everyone parks in the parking lot and walks back. The quarry is owned by B.L.M. I'm currently working on getting a mass clean up of the area for sometime in Sept. The clean-up is a partnership between BLM, Siuslaw Forrest Service, Benton County Sheriff's office and hopefully Trash No Land. I will post info on NWFA when the time gets finalized. The clean up was a great success last year.
    The gate being open and the sign is there because they are logging behind the area and I believe trucks and other logging equipment is using that road for an entrance. Feel free to get what you can in the mean time. We did the parking lot area a few weeks ago. If you have any questions send me a P.M or just post it here. If you find something that needs law enforcement attention Corp. Al S. of Benton county is really helpful. There is also info and pics from last year on the Benton County Sheriff's web page.
    Thanks!!
    Craig

12. Alchemist

Alchemist
    Corvallis OR

Thank You Craig!
    I will definitely get involved in a clean-up event, the more of us will get together, the easier it will be to clean up that area. Do You know if that logging operation will be there for a long time or is it just temporary? The best time for me to go there is in the morning during week days so that time restriction limits my ability to shoot. Also, are there any other good spots in that area, I stopped at 2 or 3 dirt roads of Mary's Peak Rd but they all had signs that it is not a safe shooting spot, they mostly were bad because of a lack of backstop and I just don't want to shoot at spots like that.

13. Rem700..300

Rem700..300
    Albany Oregon

Light day up on the Peak and quiet. No cars at all. Cleaned up th 4 areas down the Harlen turn off. Didnt get the one area to well. Too much glass. 4 big contractor bags and a lovely end table. 20180525_110732.jpg 20180525_110749.jpg 20180525_122151.jpg

14. Donald Chellis

Donald Chellis
    Portland, OR

15. Rem700..300

Rem700..300
    Albany Oregon

If you go up Marys Peak road about 4-5 miles up there will be parking lot on your left side. Park there and walk behind the gate. There is a big BLM rock pit there that a lot of people shoot at. By the way if you like that spot we arr having a big clean up Sept 23rd at 9 am. Lunch and prizes will be provided .

loner5667 and Alchemist like this.