JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
This event has passed and there are no upcoming dates

Upcoming Dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: America/Los_Angeles

This event has passed and there are no upcoming dates
At half the sites that are trashed up there do have No Shooting signs and the signs get shot also. It doesnt stop people. There may or may not be cameras in some of the spots already. Even if you do get them you on camera you have to figure out who they are and there are a lot of college kids that use the areas which aren't your normal crowd. There was even a yellow RC airplane with a 3ft wing span up there shot up so nothing is sacred.
One of the other problems is the amount of officers that cover the area. Al covers all of Benton county including the forests on an already severely under staffed department. I know of 1 USFS officer and I am not sure about BLM. Not making excuses but that is a lot of ground to cover.
It would be interesting to see what you get for pictures and how long the cameras last. I would be willing to help watch them to make sure they don't become other people's property. Please come to the event and ask questions. We always have a good turn out of the sponsors. You might have ideas that we are overlooking.
Thanks
Craig

On private property... no. You can record whatever you want if you are the land owner.

Per ORS 165.543(1)
Except as provided in ORS 133.724 (Order for interception of communications) or as provided in ORS 165.540 (Obtaining contents of communications) (2)(a), any person who willfully intercepts, attempts to intercept or procures any other person to intercept or attempt to intercept any wire or oral communication where such person is not a party to the communication and where none of the parties to the communication has given prior consent to the interception, is guilty of a Class A misdemeanor.

The definition of oral communication is here ORS 133.721(7).

After my house was broken into, I was going to have a camera system installed that also recorded audio. I talked to a lawyer about it before I was going to have it installed because I heard something about 165.543 and the lawyer told me that it was illegal to record audio with a security system unless there was notification of that happening. You can stick up a sign and it would work, but it would have to be all over the property.

Thanks for the report, @FordPrefect . Good stuff to know and glad you provided the reference links.

In the case of cameras in the woods, sound is not an issue. You'd never be able to hear voices from your camera location.

In the case of a location like Mary's Peak, you'd need at least 2, probably 3 or 4 cameras to get the documentation you would need. 1 to view the parking lot (for license plate and verify what items they brought to the site, and the others to view 2 or 3 shooting lane options at the pit. From there, you might be able to prove they brought stuff in but didn't take it out.

You would be able to capture using illegal targets and perhaps unsafe line of fire or inadequate (or no) backstop.

So, while I think Mary's Peak could work, it would take some planning, cash and leg work to get it done.

Several merchants are sponsoring our free prize giveaway! When we draw your number, you choose what you'd like from the prize table!

These businesses are showing their appreciation to you, the volunteer, and are offering their encouragement to attend this cleanup. Be sure to visit them and say "Thank You" for supporting the Mary's Peak Cleanup!

Sportsman's Warehouse
1351 Waverly Dr. SE, Albany, OR.
(541) 928-5400

Begg's Tire & Wheel
1315 Pacific Blvd SE, Albany, OR.
(541) 967-8473

Begg's Tire & Wheel
838 Main St, Philomath, OR.
(541) 929-8473

Ed's Guns and Gear
2140 Broadway St. SW, Albany, OR.
(541) 971-5010

Mel's Barber Shop
962 NW Circle Blvd, Corvallis, OR.
541-753-4247

Philomath Gun Shop
1120 Main St, Philomath, OR.
(541) 929-2298

Beekman Place Antique Mall
601 SW Western Blvd, Corvallis, OR.
(541) 753-8250

His Majesty's, Barber Shop
250 Hickory St NW, Albany, OR.
(541) 928-5561

Timber Supply Company, Inc.
2354 Main Street, Philomath, OR.
(541)-929-3151

John Boy's Alsea Mercantile
186 E Main St, Alsea, OR
(541) 487-4462

A Private Individual Donated Gift Certificates to:
Out West Farm and Ranch
Peak Sports
Pacific Bronze & Bliss

AND WE JUST MIGHT ADD MORE!!!

Prize Table 2018.jpg

A community celebration!
#NationalPublicLandsDay!
Because we love our public lands and we love our good places to shoot!

#StewardshipKeepsItOpen #TrashNoLand #CleanUpToShoot

MP Promo.jpg

Trash left in the forest at target shooting sites, (or anywhere else), is not acceptable. No one likes to recreate in a mess, much less even see trash in the woods. If it didn't grow there, it shouldn't be there!

I'll be there to show my support for our public lands and take a stand for responsible shooting on public lands.

Bill

I've never shot at Mary's Peak, but I'm at OSU so I'll come up and help clean up. Just because I don't use it doesn't mean that others shouldn't be able to in the future.
Spot on, Johnny! We often meet volunteers who only shoot at a range or club but still support public land shooting by attending these events. It really doesn't matter where you shoot or what forest you recreate in. What matters is that responsible shooters are well represented at shooting sites. It shines a good light on gun owners, (a different light), to the general public and to the forest agency.

If you have friends, clubs or groups from OSU, please encourage them to join in. They don't have to be shooters, however, the college age group are the ones we'd love to see out helping raise awareness and promoting responsible recreation.

It's also about keeping the forest clean and preserving it for current and future generations, no matter what kind of recreation you do. Call us Green if you like. But not too green! Better yet, call us Green Guns! Because we value access to clean public lands, we are concerned about our environment and we believe in the right to bear arms. The kind of green you don't hear much about!

See you Saturday!

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads